Nine games, Six days

wjag

So culling down the nine most important games that may shuffle the seatings of the Eastern Conference. No ones position is safe except maybe Boston who is unlikely to do better than the 3rd seed. However 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 are all in play and likely to change.

This should be a fun six days starting tomorrow and culiminating on Sunday.

BUF vs TOR

PHL vs PIT

CAR vs WAS

NYR vs BUF

MON vs CAR

PIT vs TAM

BUF vs WAS

NYR vs WAS

BUF vs CAR

Here are some second tier games that will have an effect too:

ATL vs MON

NYR vs NYI

ATL vs PHL

TAM vs MIN

MON vs NJD

CAR vs NYI

PIT vs FLA

TAM vs CHI

So culling down the nine most important games that may shuffle the seatings of the Eastern Conference. No ones position is safe except maybe Boston who is unlikely to do better than the 3rd seed. However 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 are all in play and likely to change.

BUF vs TOR

PHL vs PIT

CAR vs WAS

NYR vs BUF

MON vs CAR

PIT vs TAM

BUF vs WAS

NYR vs WAS

BUF vs PHL

Buf vs TOR

ATL vs MON

NYR vs NYI

ATL vs PHL

TAM vs MIN

MON vs NJD

PIT vs FLA

TAM vs CHI

Great job looking thru the schedule for these games...

This is why I love this time of year for hockey; every game matters...

As for Buffalo's purposes...

Lets they (in the first section) win all 4 games (8pts) in regulation and Wash def. Carolina; Carolina def. MTL; and Was def. NYR...Buffal is sitting at 93 points...I dont know if this is all of Buffalo has much more after this; but it'd be nice to sit at 93pts with a few point cushion on the guys below us..

Great job looking thru the schedule for these games...

This is why I love this time of year for hockey; every game matters...

As for Buffalo's purposes...

Lets they (in the first section) win all 4 games (8pts) in regulation and Wash def. Carolina; Carolina def. MTL; and Was def. NYR...Buffal is sitting at 93 points...I dont know if this is all of Buffalo has much more after this; but it'd be nice to sit at 93pts with a few point cushion on the guys below us..

I think I ran the numbers right the other day and if Buffalo wins 3 games including against Carolina, Carolina needs to win the other 6 games they have to get 94 and the 8th spot. Otherwise Buffalo needs 4 wins in the last 7 games to guarantee a playoff berth. How much I would love for Buffalo to win the next 3 and clinch against Carolina for their 4th win.

Yea right, 7 game winning streak... I must be smoking something.

EDIT: I think I am off a game and some points actually. Need to win 4 including Carolina to clinch with 93 or win 5 with 95 points.

I think I ran the numbers right the other day and if Buffalo wins 3 games including against Carolina, Carolina needs to win the other 6 games they have to get 94 and the 8th spot. Otherwise Buffalo needs 4 wins in the last 7 games to guarantee a playoff berth. How much I would love for Buffalo to win the next 3 and clinch against Carolina for their 4th win.

Yea right, 7 game winning streak... I must be smoking something.

EDIT: I think I am off a game and some points actually. Need to win 4 including Carolina to clinch with 93 or win 5 with 95 points.

Nah; you're thinking HIGHLY of the Sabres :D

I mean it is possible!

Basically if Buffalo gains just one point against Carolina; they are screwed most likely?

Ya know, I was thinking if we can pick up 2 more points on Carolina tomorrow night (technically tonight) that we might be rooting for Carolina to beat Montreal on Wednesday to try and move out of the 8th spot. But looking at the top 4, it seems like they could be shuffling spots just as much as #6-#8 could by the end of the season. Crazy.

Ya know, I was thinking if we can pick up 2 more points on Carolina tomorrow night (technically tonight) that we might be rooting for Carolina to beat Montreal on Wednesday to try and move out of the 8th spot. But looking at the top 4, it seems like they could be shuffling spots just as much as #6-#8 could by the end of the season. Crazy.

I hope that we win tomorrow and Carolina beats Montreal...keeps our 5pt cushion and increases us a spot or two in the standings.

BUT if that DOES happen; we NEED to beat Carolina to keep them out of the top 8, or at least not overtaking us.

Buffalo can THEORETICALLY take up to the top 3.

We gotta streak, MTL and Boston would have to slump big time...then again anything is possible.

That's awesome. Since the Sabres control their own destiny anyway, I personally want Carolina to win. I want the game on Sunday to mean something. I want the Sabres to win it anyway so I would rather have them win a meaningful game as opposed to beating a team that has cashed out.

I'm sure this is posted elsewhere, but here's a fantastic site for analyzing playoff positioning: NHL Magic Numbers

Basically, the magic number (points needed to eliminate a chasing team) is a combination of points earned by the team in front plus points not earned by the team chasing. So, a regulation win against a team chasing results in a 4-point reduction in the magic number.

That said, the Sabres can all but eliminate Toronto and the Devils with a regulation win tonight.

Day 1

--------

Three enormous games to start the week:

PHL vs PIT for the number 1 seed (Pit can only tie in points, but PHL has game in hand and more ROW)

TOR vs BUF for playoff survivor (Can Buf Outlast, Out Wit, Out Play a lower seed (again) and end their playoff hopes while positioning themselves for 7th?)

CAR vs WAS for Number 1 seed (WAS can tie; but, PHL has game in hand and more ROW) and Playoff dreams (CAR must have this game)

The night could end with three teams tied at 100 points all vying for number one seed. PHL can't be unseated tonight but their recent play (4-5-1) suggests they are fading.

I'm sure this is posted elsewhere, but here's a fantastic site for analyzing playoff positioning: NHL Magic Numbers

Way cool. :thumbsup:

This is a bit deceiving, though. I don't understand why he left out the number that it can take for the Sabres to overtake Montreal. Buffalo can overtake them on their own, w/o any help...right?

EDIT: No they can't. They have a game in hand, but don't play the Habs (I thought they did).

That's awesome. Since the Sabres control their own destiny anyway, I personally want Carolina to win. I want the game on Sunday to mean something. I want the Sabres to win it anyway so I would rather have them win a meaningful game as opposed to beating a team that has cashed out.

they might have given up on a playoff spot by that point, but i can guarantee you they are going to bring it with zest against the sabres, if for no other reason than a grudge. we don't like them; they don't like us. we invade their arenea, and it's louder when buffalo scores. the hurricanes are going to bring their A+ game if for no other reason than to try to humiliate us.

</theoretical blatherings>

Day 1

--------

Three enormous games to start the week:

PHL vs PIT for the number 1 seed (Pit can only tie in points, but PHL has game in hand and more ROW)

TOR vs BUF for playoff survivor (Can Buf Outlast, Out Wit, Out Play a lower seed (again) and end their playoff hopes while positioning themselves for 7th?)

CAR vs WAS for Number 1 seed (WAS can tie; but, PHL has game in hand and more ROW) and Playoff dreams (CAR must have this game)

The night could end with three teams tied at 100 points all vying for number one seed. PHL can't be unseated tonight but their recent play (4-5-1) suggests they are fading.

I'm curious why you consider Buffalo playing against a team realistically out of playoff contention a big game, but not Montreal playing against a similar team. Both Atlanta and Toronto can max out at 90 points, and a Buffalo win (reg/OT) coupled with a Montreal loss would move Buffalo into the 6th seed.

Keep looking up, not down. If they pass either Montreal or NY, it doesn't matter what Carolina does, they'd be in either way.

I'm curious why you consider Buffalo playing against a team realistically out of playoff contention a big game, but not Montreal playing against a similar team. Both Atlanta and Toronto can max out at 90 points, and a Buffalo win (reg/OT) coupled with a Montreal loss would move Buffalo into the 6th seed.

It is a sabres board isn't it? Good point though... the Monrayal game is just as important as the sabres/loafs game

Quite simply, Montreal can afford the loss. They aren't in immediate jeopardy of falling out of the playoffs. A Buffalo loss and a Carolina win puts the 8 spot back in play. 3 points at this time of year with a game to play head-to-head looks "skinny". I also think that after being shut out three straight games, I wouldn't want to be visiting Atlanta. Montreal is overdue to light someone up and it probably is Atlanta.

Quite simply, Montreal can afford the loss. They aren't in immediate jeopardy of falling out of the playoffs. A Buffalo loss and a Carolina win puts the 8 spot back in play. 3 points at this time of year with a game to play head-to-head looks "skinny". I also think that after being shut out three straight games, I wouldn't want to be visiting Atlanta. Montreal is overdue to light someone up and it probably is Atlanta.

I would argue that currently Montreal is in greater jeopardy. They've been piss poor lately, are only 2 points up on 8th and have played an extra game, whereas both 7th and 8th seeds are playing well. This game is huge for Montreal. They need to find a way to score again. If they lose in regulation again, they will drop down to at least 7th, and that move will be down to 8th if Buffalo wins. Montreal also has a game left against Carolina as well.

I would argue that currently Montreal is in greater jeopardy. They've been piss poor lately, are only 2 points up on 8th and have played an extra game, whereas both 7th and 8th seeds are playing well. This game is huge for Montreal. They need to find a way to score again. If they lose in regulation again, they will drop down to at least 7th, and that move will be down to 8th if Buffalo wins. Montreal also has a game left against Carolina as well.

Okay. You convinced me. Montreal is in the soup too.

I'll be flat out stunned to see them lose this game tonight.

Okay. You convinced me. Montreal is in the soup too.

I'll be flat out stunned to see them lose this game tonight.

FWIW, I wasn't necessarily trying to convince you of anything, just a discussion on the playoff outlook. Although I like to look at things right now in their current maximums (Buffalo and Montreal both max out at 99 points for now, so in that regard I look at them on equal footing and given momentum I give the edge to Buffalo for being more secure), I like your point as well (Buffalo has a lower minimum, meaning Buffalo has to do more to reach its theoretical maximum and are thus in greater risk of moving out of the playoffs).

Given the start to the season, I'm happy we can even be having this discussion. Let's Go Buffalo!

Carolina is pretty scrood. If Buffalo even nets half of the 14 points left on the table for them, then Carolina would have to take 12 of 14 remaining points just to tie at 92.

Officially, the magic number for Buffalo is 10 points, but that is only necessary if Carolina wins every one of its last 7 games.

Montreal is in pretty much the same boat; they would really have to tank hard to miss the playoffs.

Keep looking up, not down. If they pass either Montreal or NY, it doesn't matter what Carolina does, they'd be in either way.

Oh I know. I'm just saying that we can all sit here and say if they move up a spot they could play this team in the first round or if they pick up two spots they'll play a different team. The way it's going being being between 6-8 really and picking up a spot doesn't have any advantages because 1-4 could change overnight.

BUF vs TOR

PHL vs PIT

CAR vs WAS

NYR vs BUF

MON vs CAR

PIT vs TAM

BUF vs WAS

NYR vs WAS

BUF vs CAR

ATL vs MON

NYR vs NYI

ATL vs PHL

TAM vs MIN

MON vs NJD

CAR vs NYI

PIT vs FLA

TAM vs CHI

Well, day 1 didn't go all that well, did it?

Archived