Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

He has not been able to move quickly across the crease (or quickly at all) since his injury, and it is getting worse. There was a game a couple of weeks ago where he couldn't quickly get up off the ice after going down. This is a real problem. I think it contributed to the third goal as well, no? And I don't understand why Miller couldn't have plucked the puck out of the air on the fourth goal before Kessel got to it. The third and fourth goals were pretty far away from me, though. But I also don't think it's all on Miller, either.

Well if in fact he does have an injury and he can't do his job then he needs to get out of there and let Enroth play.

It didn't seem to matter that Connolly played against Boston last year with a broken foot(or freshly healed but still bothered him). Excuses could have been made for him, yet nobody cut him a break, and all anyone said is how he sucked and cost his team. You can't rag on one guy and have a million and one excuses for another, it doesn't work like that.

I think Miller is fine but because he stinks people want to fabricate an injury for him. Again excuses are for losers.

What, no one's going to nitpick the decision to come home after the Boston game? If coaches are so superstitious, I don't get it. Keep that road trip going. Just seems like it would have been a Chinese fire drill. Come home Thursday night, unpack, bang your S.O., get up Friday, repack, go on the road again.

As for Miller, yellowsnow... you're not going to get anywhere with some of these people. They don't want to see the truth, let alone handle it. Two points, one you've hit already. This is not a down season for Miller. And: Miller has not been getting better as the season goes on. His game is not rounding into form. His numbers picked up a bit in February, but March so far has been his worst month.

We'll hear after the season that he's been injured, and it'll probably be true. That second goal by Toronto was a great set play that an experienced coach knew to call, making Miller try to move that quickly across the crease. Couldn't do it. Then again, it's not on Miller. It's never on Miller. Someone probably wasn't in perfect position, and there was probably a turnover or bad pass 30 seconds or less before the goal was scored.

Get used to it. Miller ain't goin' nowhere. No one is. Enjoy the epic and historic and glorious race for eighth.

In addition to that, the decision to change the defense up and take Butler away from Myers and bring back Weber when the team was playing well on the roadie. Isn't LR one of those 'dont change things when they're working' guys? I mentioned yesterday that I wanted Weber back but the whole team dynamic seemed to have changed and it could have been because of these moves...

or maybe some of the players had some less than satisfactory S.O. encounters :blush:

In addition to that, the decision to change the defense up and take Butler away from Myers and bring back Weber when the team was playing well on the roadie. Isn't LR one of those 'dont change things when they're working' guys? I mentioned yesterday that I wanted Weber back but the whole team dynamic seemed to have changed and it could have been because of these moves...

or maybe some of the players had some less than satisfactory S.O. encounters :blush:

Roy's still hurt.

Buffalos defense is no worse than anybody elses in the league, stop with the excuses.

Kind of like the Edwards/Fitzpatrick thing. The oline looked absolutely atrocious with Edwards under center, Edwards gets benched for Fitzpatrick and all of a sudden the oline looks like a serviceable decent unit. Hmmm

The same can be said for the hockey team, is it the goalies bad play or is it the defense? I tend to think it's the goalie. Better goalie play up to just average stat wise(somewhere near 15th in the league) would give this team about another 10/12 points, but near 30th in the league stats wise isn't good enough.

Is it asking too much for the $6 million man to just do his job and stop the puck no matter how hard or difficult the save is?

Because i am to lazy this morning to break down the buffalo defense stats and compare it around the league, I will say I disagree and buffalo has very young def who make mistakes and Then they have Monty and Leo and leo is a -5 for the week, buffalo's def is not as good as quite a number of teams, the difference is that our def is mad young and getting better so I am not worried and Miller like I said wasn't great.

Well if in fact he does have an injury and he can't do his job then he needs to get out of there and let Enroth play.

It didn't seem to matter that Connolly played against Boston last year with a broken foot(or freshly healed but still bothered him). Excuses could have been made for him, yet nobody cut him a break, and all anyone said is how he sucked and cost his team. You can't rag on one guy and have a million and one excuses for another, it doesn't work like that.

I think Miller is fine but because he stinks people want to fabricate an injury for him. Again excuses are for losers.

Maybe I am thinking of the wrong guy but aren't you the one always making excuses for Connolly when folks complain that he sucks? Defending Connolly while calling Miller out is the exact same thing you sre complainning about here.

Buffalos defense is no worse than anybody elses in the league, stop with the excuses.

I couldn't disagree more. IMO Myers is the only D man on thisw roster that might be a #1 pair guy on another team. This D corp is loaded with 4, 5, 6 guys and is really lacking in players that would be 1, 2, 3 on playoff teams.

There was no decision to make... Butler was out with an upper body injury, which he sustained in the Bruins game. So, Weber had to play.

Weber scored and was a +1 on the game BTW, but Leo and Monty were both -2. I didn't notice but were Leo and Monty paired together yesterday?

Yeah, Toronto is just out playing them right now. They have way more energy and are playing for their season. It's not Miller, just our D that is getting worked over.

I think we can't discount the fact that we can't win a draw to save our lives with goose out of the lineup and its much easier to play with possession of the puck than without. The leafs do look like they wanted it more than us.

I couldn't disagree more. IMO Myers is the only D man on thisw roster that might be a #1 pair guy on another team. This D corp is loaded with 4, 5, 6 guys and is really lacking in players that would be 1, 2, 3 on playoff teams.

Rrriiight, and everybody made that same lame excuse last year and the year before that, and the year before that. Looks like Lydman, Tallinder, Campbell, Spacek, etc. are all doing pretty damn good, yet all were vilified here as sucking and contribute to everyone of Miller's lame performances. Montador and Leopold are having career years Myers is the reigning Calder winner, Sekera, Weber, Butler are coming into their own yet all anyone does if cover for Miller and endlessly say they "all" suck. Really!

There is a common denominator here and it's not any of the defensemen, he's between the pipes.

Rrriiight, and everybody made that same lame excuse last year and the year before that, and the year before that. Looks like Lydman, Tallinder, Campbell, Spacek, etc. are all doing pretty damn good, yet all were vilified here as sucking and contribute to everyone of Miller's lame performances. Montador and Leopold are having career years Myers is the reigning Calder winner, Sekera, Weber, Butler are coming into their own yet all anyone does if cover for Miller and endlessly say they "all" suck. Really!

There is a common denominator here and it's not any of the defensemen, he's between the pipes.

I think you may be on to something, but believe me, you're not going to win this argument here. Miller is god. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can assure you that I am not one of the Miller appologists. I have posted on this site several times that Miller is having a typical year and that he is not an elite goalie unles you think elite = top 20. At best, you can talk about Miller in terms of top 10. And I think there is a very valid argument that can be made against that.

Having said that, I am not terribly impressed with our D beyond Myers. Leopold and Montador are the definition of journeymen. Neither of those two were top 4 defensemen on any of their previous teams. And that is telling. Morissonn was a #1 pair guy on the worst defensive team in the league and is probalby a #4 guy on any other team but Washington. Sekera has potential but, lets face it, he's in and out of the lineup on a team that ranks in the bottom half of the league in all meaningful defensive stats, Same with Butler and Weber. Did I miss anyone? That makes one #1 pair guy, 2 journeymen, a #4 guy, and 3 guys who are in and out of the lineup. Yep, sounds like an outstanding defensive group. <_<

Miller isn't an elite goalie. And the defensive group in front of him isn't anything to write home about either. Combined, they are all responsible for a bottom half of the league defensive group. Its a damned good thing that the team is scoring goals.

Archived