Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

Really?

Cause I see this line up putting up 4 to 6 goals against this depleted Pittsburg squad. Crosby, Malkin, Orpik out, that's just huge.

Buffalo takes this game 5 to 2 call it.

I would love to be wrong but I just don't see it tonight. I would play heavy d and physical because you know that has been Pitts formula since losing the top guns......

The trivalent flu vaccine this year included the H1N1 pandemic swine flu strain in addition to an H3N2 and B virus strains. I've read reports that the vaccine has not provided good protection against circulating Flu B virus this year. Also, even though the CDC will claim that an early vaccinination will protect you for the entire flu season, antibody titers will fall with time and certainly could fall below a protective level before the end of the flu season.

In regard to "stomach flu" vs. real flu, anyone that has ever had a full blown case of influenza can tell you that you are barely lifting a finger, let alone putting on the skates to play an NHL hockey game. You feel like you want to die with a real case of the flu.

Tonight will be an interesting night for all the fans who've said Hecht, Kaleta, Grier and Vanek stink and should be gone at season's end.

IDK how many people want or expect Kaleta and Vanek gone at season's end, but there's certainly a big difference between having three minor leaguers replace them and signing established NHL caliber players to replace them. Especially Vanek and Hecht, who would have to be traded to be gone at season's end.

The trivalent flu vaccine this year included the H1N1 pandemic swine flu strain in addition to an H3N2 and B virus strains. I've read reports that the vaccine has not provided good protection against circulating Flu B virus this year. Also, even though the CDC will claim that an early vaccinination will protect you for the entire flu season, antibody titers will fall with time and certainly could fall below a protective level before the end of the flu season.

In regard to "stomach flu" vs. real flu, anyone that has ever had a full blown case of influenza can tell you that you are barely lifting a finger, let alone putting on the skates to play an NHL hockey game. You feel like you want to die with a real case of the flu.

Well, whatever flu it is he had a "flu" of some sort before the All Star Game. Anyone remember that? So two flu's in less than two months? My bet is he's hanging out on the porcelain palace.

I believe the end-of-season tie breaker is wins, not including shootout wins. That's probably the adjustment you're referring to. But in-season, points percentage is the first tiebreak.

If more than two teams are tied it goes by winning percentage.

If more than two teams are tied it goes by winning percentage.

Pretty sure it goes by points percentage (ie least amount of games played) regardless of how many teams are tied. If 5 teams are tied with 80 points, but Buffalo has played less games, they obviously get the highest position.

Pretty sure it goes by points percentage (ie least amount of games played) regardless of how many teams are tied. If 5 teams are tied with 80 points, but Buffalo has played less games, they obviously get the highest position.

But this only matters for waiver priority order mid-season. Once the season's done, obviously everyone has played the same number of games. Really though, the phrase "winning percentage" needs to be removed from the hockey vocabulary all together. It has no meaning, especially when 4 different people come up with 4 completely different definitions of it.

I dont know why a lot of people are looking past tonight. Like everyone says, look at the game infront of us only. Lets see how they play tonight, if the penguins can even show up to the ice without like 5 starters, I think we can play without hecht, grier, kaleta and vanek. Lets get pumped for this game... Let's Go Buffalo!! :clapping:

But this only matters for waiver priority order mid-season. Once the season's done, obviously everyone has played the same number of games. Really though, the phrase "winning percentage" needs to be removed from the hockey vocabulary all together. It has no meaning, especially when 4 different people come up with 4 completely different definitions of it.

That's what I said in my first post, though. End of season tie breaker is wins, minus shootout wins. In-season is points percentage, not win percentage. It never matters how many teams are tied unless by some grace of god more than two teams are tied in POINTS and WINS (minus Shootout Wins) after the season, in which case it goes to the higher points percentage earned in head to head games between the clubs that are tied.

Tonight will be an interesting night for all the fans who've said Hecht, Kaleta, Grier and Vanek stink and should be gone at season's end.

Well, Vanek is the biggest bust in Sabres history according to at least one poster on this board. (I don't remember who posted that gem a few months back, and I suppose that's for the best.)

That's what I said in my first post, though. End of season tie breaker is wins, minus shootout wins. In-season is points percentage, not win percentage. It never matters how many teams are tied unless by some grace of god more than two teams are tied in POINTS and WINS (minus Shootout Wins) after the season, in which case it goes to the higher points percentage earned in head to head games between the clubs that are tied.

This is from a hockey blog.

"One rule that we know is going to be implemented is a rule concerning tie-breaks in the standings. Points gained from shootouts will be excluded from the overall end of season tally in the event of two or more teams finishing on equal points. This rule might seem like a slight alteration, but it could potentially change the mindset of coaches when overtime begins. Knowing that shootout points aren’t as influential as they once were, will NHL coaches still try to play defensively to drag the game out? Last season, 184 games were decided by shootout, so this change in the way shootout points are tallied will certainly impact the end of season standings."

This is from a hockey blog.

"One rule that we know is going to be implemented is a rule concerning tie-breaks in the standings. Points gained from shootouts will be excluded from the overall end of season tally in the event of two or more teams finishing on equal points. This rule might seem like a slight alteration, but it could potentially change the mindset of coaches when overtime begins. Knowing that shootout points aren’t as influential as they once were, will NHL coaches still try to play defensively to drag the game out? Last season, 184 games were decided by shootout, so this change in the way shootout points are tallied will certainly impact the end of season standings."

I don't get how this doesn't confirm exactly what I posted (three times) above? Shootout wins (and therefor points) DON'T count towards the end of season tie-breaker.

Wow, 116 posts and counting a couple hours before the puck drops. It wasn't even a month ago that we were getting about 100 posts per game total. The new-found optimism is potent!

This will be a good bench mark game. Miller has been rested. AHLers everywhere on both teams and a barn that is tough for the Sabres to get a win in.

People want vanek gone? why? no seriously why? Hes good, and why? Confused I am, understand I do not.

Because at this time of year, everyone is hurting and you must win games with farm system fill-ins. The Pens have stayed in the hunt with all their injuries. Can the Sabres too?

Wow, 116 posts and counting a couple hours before the puck drops. It wasn't even a month ago that we were getting about 100 posts per game total. The new-found optimism is potent!

The game vs the Sens near the end of February consisted of 5 pages (94 post).

Archived