THN Adam Proteau Ranks All-Time Top 10 Sabres

frisky

Perreault #1 all day long.

Hasek would be #2 with Rick Martin and Renee Robert at #3 and #4.

I would put Lafontaine at #5 and Molginy at #7.

Gare at #6.

Drury and Briere #8 and #9 with Dave Andrechuck at #10.

Miller doesn't even touch this list and wouldn't be close to doing so in my opinion.

But he is a very good goalie. He just has not had the impact on this team these other players i've listed have.

Hawerchuck, Mogilny & Lafontaine had some VERY good/GREAT seasons as Sabres(IMO LaFontaine's 148 point season is far and away the greatest by one player in team history), but their career games played just are not high enough to put them in my top 10, but they would be 11-13. I am probably going to get flamed for having Housley in my top 10, but his offensive skills were off the chart, and if he wasn't such a disaster in his own end, he probably would have never been traded. Also, Foligno was a warrior and one of my all-time favorite Sabres. Unfortunately, he was part of the 1980's Sabres that were one and done, over and over and over again.

1-10

Perreault

Hasek

Martin

Gare

Ramsay

Robert

Andreychuk

Ramsey

Housley

Foligno

11-20

LaFontaine

Hawerchuk

Mogilny

Hajt

Luce

Miller

Peca

Schoenfeld

Briere(how did I forget about him the first time around)

Satan

Hawerchuck, Mogilny & Lafontaine had some VERY good/GREAT seasons as Sabres(IMO LaFontaine's 148 point season is far and away the greatest by one player in team history), but their career games played just are not high enough to put them in my top 10, but they would be 11-13.........

I like your list better but I'd have Schoenfeld right after LaFontaine.

It's interesting to ponder that the gap between someone like Rene Robert and Miroslav Satan is so wide on lists like this. Robert had a lot more assists -- surprise, surprise. Otherwise, the stat lines are very similar and Satan played on teams that had more success in the playoffs. How far away will Vanek and Robert be in another year or two?

And Robert's number got retired.

It's interesting to ponder that the gap between someone like Rene Robert and Miroslav Satan is so wide on lists like this. Robert had a lot more assists -- surprise, surprise. Otherwise, the stat lines are very similar and Satan played on teams that had more success in the playoffs. How far away will Vanek and Robert be in another year or two?

And Robert's number got retired.

Don't get me started on that.

Here's the thing: Gil didn't put the team on his back and carry them like Hasek did for so long. That's why Hasek is number 1.

Hasek wasn't the most popular or the best liked player, but in terms of achievement he was the best player in Sabres history.

He almost single-handedly brought the Cup to Buffalo. He was the best at his position in the league for many years. No other Sabre can say they were the best at their position for multiple years.

Gilbert Perreault was my favorite player followed by Pat Lafontaine, but Hasek was superior. It's only a matter of opinion so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

P.S. I am a little surprised by Ryan Miller even making the list. One excellent year is not enough in my book.

If you take things such as class, loyalty and longevity into account Perreault wins by a country mile......... :beer:

If class is a factor, LaFontaine comes ind second.

That said, Hasek was the best ever in his position, and we had him in his prime.

Screwed up yeah, but jeeez what a goaltender.

If class is a factor, LaFontaine comes ind second.

That said, Hasek was the best ever in his position, and we had him in his prime.

Screwed up yeah, but jeeez what a goaltender.

Many of the very elite athletes seem to have - shall we say - difficult personalities. Just looking at Buffalo's guys:

Dominik Hasek, maybe the best goalie ever.

Bruce Smith, maybe the best DE ever.

OJ (:death: ) Simpson, maybe the best RB ever.

Regarding that top 10 list, what stands out to me are a lack of great defensemen. Hopefully Myers will make this list 5 or so years from now.

If you take things such as class, loyalty and longevity into account Perreault wins by a country mile......... :beer:

Agreed, loyalty is the key.

He was loyal to this organization beyond compare. If only they had given him linemates past the 79-80 season.

He crested 500 goals for this club and spent his entire career here, and I loved every game he played in, he was exciting even when he was in his early to mid 30's.

My Top '10' List

1. Hasek

2. Perreault

3. LaFontaine

4. Gare

5. Schoenfeld

6. Ramsey

7. Ramsay

8. Hawerchuk

9. Martin

10. Peca

11. Briere

(Hey, it's the Sabres; 11 is far more significant than 10. ;) )

And my Top 10 List of Players for their overall careers, not necessarily what they did with the Sabres:

1. Hasek

2. Perreault

3. LaFontaine

4. Hawerchuk

5. Fuhr

6. Horton

7. Gilmour

8. Crozier

9. Gillies

10. Vaive

There were several that I'd considered for the 11th spot (Martin, Patrick, Lambert among them), but couldn't really settle on 1. So I just went w/ the standard list of 10 for that 1.

Hasek wasn't the most popular or the best liked player, but in terms of achievement he was the best player in Sabres history.

He almost single-handedly brought the Cup to Buffalo. He was the best at his position in the league for many years. No other Sabre can say they were the best at their position for multiple years.

This.

Love him or hate him, Hasek was the most skilled, accomplished, and valuable Sabre of all time. I remember watching pregame interview after pregame interview of opponents where all they focused on was hopefully trying to find a way to beat Hasek- the level to which other teams got affected mentally by his stellar play really did justify his nickname. Teams didn't expect to come to Buffalo and score more than two goals, even if they felt lucky. If they actually got more than a few scoring chances, in all likelihood they got robbed blind enough to the point where they were demoralized. Hasek will always be in the conversation when discussing the best goaltenders of all time, and he will unquestionably be an NHL hall of famer.

Mike Foligno makes any "top 10" Sabres of all time list, for me...

This might sound crazy, but I don't think both of the Ramsay/Ramseys necessarily belong on there...also, I have to admit, I missed the Sabres through most of the 90's (91-98), so I didn't get to see a whole lot of the Lafontaine/Mogilny magic. I realize they were both tremendous players, but I always think of Lafontaine as an Islander first...

Dave Andeychuk? Again, very good player, who played a ton of games, but, if you watched during that time, was kind of the poster boy for the frustrating Sabres of the 80's. Well coached, solid teams, qualified for the playoffs year in, year out, but always came up small in the playoffs. He wasn't really a great leader (at least not with the Sabres during his first stint) and I honestly always felt guys like him, Ray Sheppard, Paul Cyr, etc etc under-acheived.

Archived