Quite a Coaching Move

X. Benedict

Interesting Coaching move by Ruff last night:

The only decent defense pair the Habs had were Wisniewski and Hamirlik, which Lemaire was matching on Pominville, Hecht, and Vanek.

So what did Ruff do....he took Vanek off the line, and made Lemaire choose: match Vanek (on the weak line of , don't laugh, McCormick-Byron-Vanek), or match Hecht-Pomminstein-Gerbe.

Lemaire chose to keep matching his best pair with Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville who played a possession game to grind that pair down. By the end of that frame Wisniewski and Hamirlik were legless.

Needless to say, that was some interesting stuff. It worked. That line grinded them down and they probably psychologically let up a little without Vanek to watch.

It worked. Credit the coach.

The only decent defense pair the Habs had were Wisniewski and Hamirlik, which Lemaire was matching on Pominville, Hecht, and Vanek.

So what did Ruff do....he took Vanek off the line, and made Lemaire choose: match Vanek (on the weak line of , don't laugh, McCormick-Byron-Vanek), or match Hecht-Pomminstein-Gerbe.

Lemaire chose to keep matching his best pair with Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville who played a possession game to grind that pair down. By the end of that frame Wisniewski and Hamirlik were legless.

Needless to say, that was some interesting stuff. It worked. That line grinded them down and they probably psychologically let up a little without Vanek to watch.

IIRC, this was after the game was tied? Or wait. Wasn't Gerbe on the ice 4 Pommers goal? I think I remember them hugging. Too many Margaritas.

Lemaire? I think you mean Jacques Martin, he is the Habs head coach. Not sure where Jacques Lemaire is, NJ maybe?

X,

Nice observation. :beer:

X,

Nice observation. :beer:

Ahhhh the game within the game. Nice catch X.

On a side note, who else is madddddddddddd excited that the Sabres could be in 8th when the clock strikes midnight tonight (or likely 10:45)?! I, like many fans had pretty much written the season off in mid November. This run has been a huge bonus. Make the playoffs and who knows?

Excellant in game observation and analysis. I noticed the line changes after the 1st period but did not connect the dots. The other point made by the play by play guy's was the Sabres getting the puck deep behind the net as a plan after the first period and making Montreal work hard just to exit their own zone. That definitely added to the fatique factor later in the game.

Between Cousteau and Marlin Perkins, those were years of my Sunday nights.

LOL, that right their tells me your generation, mine... Very old. :thumbsup:

I was listening to the Habs Radio broadcast for a while and they seemed to be paying a lot of attention to Martin matching Subban and Picard to the Stafford Line. With his PK duties, Subban ended up with something like 29:22 of ice time. He had been on the ice for 2 shifts in three minutes when the first sabres goal was scored.

I've always felt Lindy had a good instinct for switching up lines mid game (especially when playing away) to mess up the other coach's line matching game plan.

Between Cousteau and Marlin Perkins, those were years of my Sunday nights.

I was always partial to Marty Stouffer,.. less Hollywood.

And nice catch on the game. I think I remember someone comeplaining about the line juggling in the GDT, but there was a lot of complaining going on in there.

I was listening to the Habs Radio broadcast for a while and they seemed to be paying a lot of attention to Martin matching Subban and Picard to the Stafford Line. With his PK duties, Subban ended up with something like 29:22 of ice time. He had been on the ice for 2 shifts in three minutes when the first sabres goal was scored.

I've always felt Lindy had a good instinct for switching up lines mid game (especially when playing away) to mess up the other coach's line matching game plan.

Gil out. Spacek out. Look for teams to put bodies on the Habs D.

If they don't respond, they could get reeled in. Look for them to trade for Defense.

they have three West teams this week Oilers, Flames, Nucks.

How does Lindy do when the opposition isn't down four of their top six D?

So now that's a valid excuse to not give Ruff any credit? I'm not saying that I disagree necessarily, I'm only asking because I seem to recall you discounting that as an excuse when the Sabres found themselves in that situation in game seven ECF 2006, correct?

How does Lindy do when the opposition isn't down four of their top six D?

I expect a full report from you, going back 13 years for a good sample, on my desk by 4 PM. :D

Typed. Double-Spaced. No Plastic Binders.

And there better not be any typos or references to your bff.

and none of the pages should be strangely stuck together.

I don't know, but I'm glad he recognized a weakness and exploited it.

I think his ability to exploit weaknesses is a big reason he's been so good in the playoffs (looking past last year)

First Round Record: 5-2

Second Round Record: 4-1

Until they get to the Conference Finals and run up against a (usually) vastly more talented team, he can learn and destroy over a seven game series.

Archived