Quite a Coaching Move

X. Benedict

No sh*t!

But come on, don't you think there are Houston Oilers fans still complaining about Don Beebe stepping out of bounds before scoring in the Comeback Game?

Considering that there were hardly any Euler fans back when the team was there, I really doubt there are any remaining now that the team is gone. Back then, the bulk of the natives were Pokes fans and the bulk of the transplants maintained loyalty to their hometown team.

However, of those remaining 26 fans, if 2 or 3 of them are still screaming 'but Beebe went out of bounds,' they might need to be reminded that Smith got called for a horrible roughing the passer call on the Euler's field goal drive. And that Haywood Jeffires got away with a blatent offensive pass interference in the 1st half. ;)

I'd expect that the Euler fans could come up with a couple more (Talley possibly getting away with defensive holding comes to mind) and I could come up with several more rebuttals; but all of them boil back down to honest mistakes / difference of vantage point. Considering no rules were changed because of, shall we say, 'official's error' I'd chalk all of them up to 'bad calls are part of the game.' They tend to even out over the course of a game.

That 2nd Caps game led to the 1st of 3 consecutive years worth of rules changes put in specifically to remedy (or brush under the table, as the case may be) a rather egregious error against the Sabres. Kerry Frasier willfully did not have Bondra's goal reviewed, and because the league saw how petty its officials could be modified the rule about reviews to allow the VRJ to initiate a review. Btw, Bondra was not only in the crease, he deflected the puck with a high stick as well.

There was some pretty bad reffing in that series as a whole, (as there is in pretty much any series) and the Sabres overcame most of it. (I'd expect the Caps fans view it as the Caps overcame more of it.) Bad reffing is part of the game. Willfully disregarding the rules when you are supposed to be impartial is not part of the game. The Sabres couldn't overcome Frasier's willful acts. Personally, I think his actions in Game 2 were more of a determining factor than Lindy's inexperience as a head coach.

But that's just my opinion. And for the record, I doubt very highly that Frasier cost the Sabres the SC as Detroit was a machine that year.

It was all about control, not possession.

Excellent, Grasshopper. You have learned well. B-)

So, then (humor me here, please) are you saying that Hull's "no goal" goal is somehow Lindy's fault?

I never got the impression he was stating that.

On a somewhat related note, I saw a clip of Juneau's OT winner in 98 recently. Dom appeared to be going after the ref moments after the goal. It was hard to see -- the clip ended right there. Was Juneau's skate in the crease?

IIRC it should have been called icing.

How does Lindy do when the opposition isn't down four of their top six D?

So now that's a valid excuse to not give Ruff any credit? I'm not saying that I disagree necessarily, I'm only asking because I seem to recall you discounting that as an excuse when the Sabres found themselves in that situation in game seven ECF 2006, correct?

Good post - don't hold your breath waiting for a response.

And there you have it.

IIRC it should have been called icing.

That was Game 2.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/events/1998/playoffs/news/1998/05/28/sabres_badcalls/

It's funny. That "bad" icing call is made half a dozen times a game. Very loosely called. It's not a scandal until it happens in a playoff overtime game.

Archived