Quite a Coaching Move

X. Benedict

So now that's a valid excuse to not give Ruff any credit? I'm not saying that I disagree necessarily, I'm only asking because I seem to recall you discounting that as an excuse when the Sabres found themselves in that situation in game seven ECF 2006, correct?

Good post - don't hold your breath waiting for a response.

I think his ability to exploit weaknesses is a big reason he's been so good in the playoffs (looking past last year)

First Round Record: 5-2

Second Round Record: 4-1

Until they get to the Conference Finals and run up against a (usually) vastly more talented team, he can learn and destroy over a seven game series.

Lindy's also won the first game, on the road no less, three times in huge series: 98 ECF in Washington, 99 SCF in Dallas and 06 ECF in Carolina and lost all series in six games. It tells me the other coach made the adjustments and took Lindy to school.

Lindy's also won the first game, on the road no less, three times in huge series: 98 ECF in Washington, 99 SCF in Dallas and 06 ECF in Carolina and lost all series in six games. It tells me the other coach made the adjustments and took Lindy to school.

Carolina/Buffalo in 2006 went to seven games. Should I bother looking up the other two?

I could point to the last line in my post...

or, I could write this:

Sabres lost the Carolina Series because of Carolina's adjustments to our 9th/10th Defensemen.

Sabres lost the Dallas Series because of Dallas's adjustment to new rules invented during the game.

Sabres lost the Washington Series because of Washington's adjustments to a first year head caoch.

And then agree with you completely.

or, I could write this:

Sabres lost the Carolina Series because of Carolina's adjustments to our 9th/10th Defensemen.

Sabres lost the Dallas Series because of Dallas's adjustment to new rules invented during the game.

Sabres lost the Washington Series because of Washington's adjustments to a first year head caoch.

:thumbsup:

But that is nonsense in PA's world. Everything that goes wrong with the Sabres must fit neatly into the blame Miller and/or Ruff doctrine.

or, I could write this:

3. Sounds like you're admitting Ruff wasn't good enough then to win a Cup. No disagreement there.

2. is ludicrous. Both teams knew about the rule clarification issued in March. There were no rules invented during the series.

3. Sounds like you're admitting Ruff wasn't good enough then to win a Cup. No disagreement there.

2. is ludicrous. Both teams knew about the rule clarification issued in March. There were no rules invented during the series.

Really?

You want to show me where headbutts were legal prior to the finals that year?

And backing up to the Caps series, the biggest thing that benefitted the Caps and the thing that changed the series was Kerry Frasier's blatent disregard for the rules in Game 2. Would the Caps have won the series had Frasier not awarded Bondra a goal and swallowed his whistle whenever a Cap player took liberties and the linesmen actually been able to call an icing? Perhaps. But I don't like their chances heading back to Buffalo down 2 games to zip without having scored in the series. (Without Bondra getting awarded a goal at the end of the 2nd, I don't see the Caps scoring in the 3rd of that game.)

No way the Sabres beat Detroit that year, but I also don't see any way they get swept by them either.

Really?

You want to show me where headbutts were legal prior to the finals that year?

And backing up to the Caps series, the biggest thing that benefitted the Caps and the thing that changed the series was Kerry Frasier's blatent disregard for the rules in Game 2. Would the Caps have won the series had Frasier not awarded Bondra a goal and swallowed his whistle whenever a Cap player took liberties and the linesmen actually been able to call an icing? Perhaps. But I don't like their chances heading back to Buffalo down 2 games to zip without having scored in the series. (Without Bondra getting awarded a goal at the end of the 2nd, I don't see the Caps scoring in the 3rd of that game.)

No way the Sabres beat Detroit that year, but I also don't see any way they get swept by them either.

I took the poster as suggesting there was no memo. The clarification to the rule was there. It was incorrectly applied to Hull's goal. But it existed.

If I misread the poster, sorry.

Taro, you know that sounds like a lot of sour grapes. Every franchise has a list of those atrocities, and when we hear them, we cry "whiner!"

I took the poster as suggesting there was no memo. The clarification to the rule was there. It was incorrectly applied to Hull's goal. But it existed.

Taro, you know that sounds like a lot of sour grapes. Every franchise has a list of those atrocities, and when we hear them, we cry "whiner!"

Taro T > PA......... :beer:

3. Yes I am admitting that it is unlikely a rookie coach has the chops to win the Stanley Cup. T

2. Your interpretation of this clarification is based on the idea that an individual player's possession of the puck continues during a shot, through the rebound and until another skater touches the puck. The "possession" referenced by Lewis in his explanation is the Shot-Rebound-Shot-Goal gives an assist to the first shooter because the team never lost possession. Clearly this rule was never meant to insinuate that the original shooter maintains possession of the puck until it hits the stick of the second shooter. I was in the sixth row on that side of the ice when this happened. I hated the crease rule, but I didn't need a replay to see that this was a bad goal.

We can, however, blame that series on Miller. When Miller was 16 in 1996, he had a terrible case of acne and purchased a lot of Oxy products from the Mentholatum Company, a division of GlaxoSmithKline. Tom Hicks' Hicks Muse investment firm was heavily invested in the pharmaceutical industry, and the extra revenue from Miller's purchases allowed the Stars to afford signing Ed Belfour. Belfour made hundreds of saves in the playoffs that year, all of which would have been prevented if Miller would have just had clear skin.

I posted before I saw this. It takes a while to write a post with a 3-year-old mashing the keys every 30 seconds or so. Sorry.

Ahhhh the game within the game. Nice catch X.

On a side note, who else is madddddddddddd excited that the Sabres could be in 8th when the clock strikes midnight tonight (or likely 10:45)?! I, like many fans had pretty much written the season off in mid November. This run has been a huge bonus. Make the playoffs and who knows?

:thumbsup:

We can, however, blame that series on Miller. When Miller was 16 in 1996, he had a terrible case of acne and purchased a lot of Oxy products from the Mentholatum Company, a division of GlaxoSmithKline. Tom Hicks' Hicks Muse investment firm was heavily invested in the pharmaceutical industry, and the extra revenue from Miller's purchases allowed the Stars to afford signing Ed Belfour. Belfour made hundreds of saves in the playoffs that year, all of which would have been prevented if Miller would have just had clear skin.

Well done, sir. :clapping:

I think his ability to exploit weaknesses is a big reason he's been so good in the playoffs (looking past last year)

First Round Record: 5-2

Second Round Record: 4-1

Until they get to the Conference Finals and run up against a (usually) vastly more talented team, he can learn and destroy over a seven game series.

Too bad his "ability" hasn't been able to get the team into the playoffs more often.

2. Your interpretation of this clarification is based on the idea that an individual player's possession of the puck continues during a shot, through the rebound and until another skater touches the puck. The "possession" referenced by Lewis in his explanation is the Shot-Rebound-Shot-Goal gives an assist to the first shooter because the team never lost possession. Clearly this rule was never meant to insinuate that the original shooter maintains possession of the puck until it hits the stick of the second shooter. I was in the sixth row on that side of the ice when this happened. I hated the crease rule, but I didn't need a replay to see that this was a bad goal.

It was all about control, not possession.

Sorry if I'm sounding a little dense here, but are you saying that Hull's "goal" should not have counted (as in no-goal)?

Archived