DuPont: Darcy out by July 1st

Two or less

Interesting article today from the person who broke the Terry Pegula sale in the first place.

Look for Pegula to take control soon, possibly by the NHL’s Feb. 28 trade deadline, which means he has at least these next few weeks to scrutinize the work of the front office and the bench. Keep in mind, those close to Pegula say he views his acquisition as a rebranding of the franchise, which will make it difficult for general manager Darcy Regier and coach Lindy Ruff to keep their jobs.

Regier, who signed a two-year contract extension at the start of the season, most likely will be jettisoned, well ahead of the league’s July 1 free agency period. No one is more vulnerable than the GM when a change of culture is mandated. This is a franchise looking for a new day, new lead voice, and a new image. The Sabres have been a club in need of something since Dominik Hasek left, and the Dominator, now 46, departed in the spring of 2001.

Link- http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/02/06/under_pegula_sabres_could_be_a_cut_above/?page=1

Interesting article today from the person who broke the Terry Pegula sale in the first place.

Link- http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/02/06/under_pegula_sabres_could_be_a_cut_above/?page=1

Interesting for sure, but still just pure speculation. Right now I'm more worried about what he's going to do THIS season to help get the team into the playoffs.

The subject line is quite misleading. It's Dupont's "view," not any kind of reporting.

MAN!!!!

You really hate the media!

This guy gave us the story in the first place. He's got the goods on this.

The way I read it, unless the Sabres go on a miracle run of 20-6-4 to close the season....Darcy go bye-bye.

The talk of Ruff is just a bonus.

I am excited beyond belief right now. The guy looks to be everything you could hope for and respect. I'm planning in my head how to divy up season tickets next year....because for once, there may actually be a REAL waiting list.

MAN!!!!

You really hate the media!

This guy gave us the story in the first place. He's got the goods on this.

The way I read it, unless the Sabres go on a miracle run of 20-6-4 to close the season....Darcy go bye-bye.

The talk of Ruff is just a bonus.

I am excited beyond belief right now. The guy looks to be everything you could hope for and respect. I'm planning in my head how to divy up season tickets next year....because for once, there may actually be a REAL waiting list.

He's not presenting it as "the goods." He's giving his thoughts on how it might go down, based largely on how things went in Boston.

In what way was he "fettered?"

My question exactly. Even un-fettered he doesn't have the personality nor wherewithal to get the required parts for a championship caliber team. Unless you're content to have it done at a glacial pace. We've all seen that play out before.

Darcy did bring in talent once upon a time. I'd be willing to see what he can do unfettered under a new regime. If you could never compete for a Kovalchuk to begin with, is it fair to judge? Let's see.

Even if this is true - that Darcy was fettered under the old regime - I'd still fire him.

The fact of the matter is that the guy has always been too attached to "his guys" and tends to overvalue their actual worth compared to everyone else around the league. A large majority of the current roster are former Sabres draft picks, but it's certainly not because the Sabres happen to be good drafters...check the latest standings to see my point. Furthermore, why are vet players like Hecht and Connolly still around?? Noticing a trend here? I think Regier and the Sabres would make a great candidate for the next episode of TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive" documentary series. Our GM has cluttered this franchise with mediocrity.

It's well past time to clean house. If it wasn't for Hasek and the "new NHL" (RIP), the Regier tenure would be seen as a colossal disaster. We need a new GM who will see the current players for what they are.

Even if this is true - that Darcy was fettered under the old regime - I'd still fire him.

The fact of the matter is that the guy has always been too attached to "his guys" and tends to overvalue their actual worth compared to everyone else around the league. A large majority of the current roster are former Sabres draft picks, but it's certainly not because the Sabres happen to be good drafters...check the latest standings to see my point. Furthermore, why are vet players like Hecht and Connolly still around?? Noticing a trend here? I think Regier and the Sabres would make a great candidate for the next episode of TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive" documentary series. Our GM has cluttered this franchise with mediocrity.

It's well past time to clean house. If it wasn't for Hasek and the "new NHL" (RIP), the Regier tenure would be seen as a colossal disaster. We need a new GM who will see the current players for what they are.

OMG word ! I agree .

I have no argument with your basic premise. For the most part I agree with it. But the part I bolded isn't accurate. 10 of the 22 current roster players were drafted by other organizations. That is nearly 50%. It may SEEM like this team is overwhelmingly Darcy draft picks but it isn't in reality.

Still, Darcy does appear to overvalue his draft picks overall.

I would surmize the Regier and Ruff era are over in Buffalo as well.

And I would most certainly give this article more than it's due, he broke the sale to Pegula.

Jeremy M. Jacobs, owner of the Bruins and Chairman of the NHL Board of Governers looks like a decent source for this information.

I have no problem with what he wants to do, if this is the case.

I would imagine the fan base will be informed at the press conference when he takes over or at the end of the season.

Either way, I'll take this as more than just a grain of salt.

"The Sabres have been a club in need of something since Dominik Hasek left, and the Dominator, now 46, departed in the spring of 2001."

Well - maybe they will sign Hasek to a contract to back up Miller next season. :)

I'm glad to see that change is finally arriving for this Sabres organization. Out with the old in with the new. Maybe ...finally the Sabres are on track to finally bring some talent to win Lord Stanley's Cup. The slug is gone off the sweaters and now fresh blood. I'm excited about the prospect of it all. :clapping:

I'm glad to see that change is finally arriving for this Sabres organization. Out with the old in with the new. Maybe ...finally the Sabres are on track to finally bring some talent to win Lord Stanley's Cup. The slug is gone off the sweaters and now fresh blood. I'm excited about the prospect of it all. :clapping:

The day TP takes over the slugs should come down off the scoreboard! That would go a long way to symbolically usher in a new era of Sabres hockey.

I have to completely disagree with his opinion that the team has been missing something since Hasek left. Is he forgetting those 2006 and 2007 seasons? Two straight trips to the conference finals and a President's trophy are about as good as the Sabres have been in back to back seasons.

QFT

I have to completely disagree with his opinion that the team has been missing something since Hasek left. Is he forgetting those 2006 and 2007 seasons? Two straight trips to the conference finals and a President's trophy are about as good as the Sabres have been in back to back seasons.

And both happened in the no touch NHL, where the smallish finesse guys could skate like the wind through the neutral zone without being interfered with.

In both the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons, the deeper we went into the playoffs, the more the ref's swallowed their whistles, and the more the Sabres struggled.

And both happened in the no touch NHL, where the smallish finesse guys could skate like the wind through the neutral zone without being interfered with.

In both the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons, the deeper we went into the playoffs, the more the ref's swallowed their whistles, and the more the Sabres struggled.

And you all act like Darcy is supposed to have a crystal ball and know that would happen? Darcy built a team for what the NHL was supposed to be. And it worked and we'd probably be champs if it weren't for a freak rash of injuries to our defensemen.

PTR

Archived