DuPont: Darcy out by July 1st

Two or less

What are you expecting?

http://us.m.yahoo.com/w/ysportshome/home/experts/article?offset=2&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cyhoo%3A20050301%3Anhl%2Carticle%2Crm-nhlpower011101%3A1&.ts=1294791581&c=remove&.intl=us&.lang=en&.ysid=xtVFbyarboPRWDQOgjhePNMG

heres another one from a longtime hockey writer.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/30/best-general-managers-buck-business-sports-hockey-valuations-10-managers.html

Youre citing the lack of evidence as proof of something. Just because there isnt a readily available quote praising him doesnt mean its otherwise. Quotes like that arent really out there, for any GM.

Is there anyone but local radio or bucky saying that darcy isnt good at what he does??

Lets see what he can do with a budget and no LQ.

And when he still sucks we wasted another two or three years, great. $56 million is still $56 million no matter who signs the checks. The Sabres are in position to make a major overhaul. The last person you want in place to oversee that overhaul is the guy who screwed it up.

When Darcy was asked for his rebuttal to this comment, his only word was "scoreboard"....

Right....checkbook.

There are plenty of people in every career path that are happy to do what is needed to take a paycheck and not cause any waves. I am not one of those people, and I feel the characteristics of a quality GM would not allow them to be one either for an extended period of time.

Darcy has said it himself. He sits back...and lets the market decide his hand. As one of only 30 people involved, he has yet to figure out that he can MAKE THE MARKET! But that's just it.....he never does anything bold enough that would be worth the risk to reap the reward or face the consequences. Even in resigning the players he chose to, it was reactionary. The golden geese left town, so he was forced to overpay for Vanek and then spread some of the new surplus around on many players who were not worthy, because he was afraid of a further raid in the future.

I want a guy who goes for it, and is willing to go down with the ship if he is wrong, or who will be praised for his moves by more than the blind faithful and those on the payroll.

Those were great moves...but he made a lot of good ones IMO.

Klepis for Grier

Barnaby for Barnes

Pyatt for a bag of donuts. :D (JK on that one).

Sure there were some solid moves.....there should be after 13 years.

If people that think Regier did a great job and truly believe that in their heart...well, then.....God Bless You. Hey, Kanye West has outsold Ella Fitzgerald. I guess people deserve to have their opinions heard.

I would guess that most if not all of his peers (i) also have to get ownership signoff on major contracts and (ii) wouldn't quit their jobs (which are, at the end of the day, the dream jobs for these guys) if they didn't get contracts approved.

As for seeing what the market says -- we shall see. If the Sabres make the playoffs this year, I think DR has about a 60% chance of being retained for next year.

You are correct on the first part. However, anyone with a set would do their best to convince ownership to do what was in the best interest of the team....and in many cases for the owner themself. After so many vetos.....a skilled and confident person who WANTS TO WIN will only take so much. If you only care about the money or the title...then fine, go on auto-pilot for a decade.

The odds of the Sabres making the playoffs are about 25%, so in essence you are saying Darcy has a 15% chance of being the Sabres' GM next year. On this, I agree with your analysis.

What are you expecting?

http://us.m.yahoo.com/w/ysportshome/home/experts/article?offset=2&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cyhoo%3A20050301%3Anhl%2Carticle%2Crm-nhlpower011101%3A1&.ts=1294791581&c=remove&.intl=us&.lang=en&.ysid=xtVFbyarboPRWDQOgjhePNMG

heres another one from a longtime hockey writer.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/30/best-general-managers-buck-business-sports-hockey-valuations-10-managers.html

Youre citing the lack of evidence as proof of something. Just because there isnt a readily available quote praising him doesnt mean its otherwise. Quotes like that arent really out there, for any GM.

Is there anyone but local radio or bucky saying that darcy isnt good at what he does??

Lets see what he can do with a budget and no LQ.

It all sounds good, the "Lets see what he can do with a budget and no LQ" bit.

But in all reality, Mr. Pegula sees his ownership of the Buffalo Sabres as a "Rebranding of the Franchise".

This is an extremely strong statement.

Regier is done, it's that simple, he's going to be handed his walking papers for sure.

It all sounds good, the "Lets see what he can do with a budget and no LQ" bit.

But in all reality, Mr. Pegula sees his ownership of the Buffalo Sabres as a "Rebranding of the Franchise".

This is an extremely strong statement.

Regier is done, it's that simple, he's going to be handed his walking papers for sure.

And as he should be. If Pegula wants to win a cup he needs a winner in the G.M. position.

What about:

-drafting Miller in the 5th round

-trading up to draft Myers

-signing Roy to an under-market extension

-getting Lydman for a 3rd-round pick

-drafting Soupy in the 6th round

As for not having the foresight to lock those players up -- there are quite a few people who think this wasn't his decision to make, and quite a lot of evidence (most of which is admittedly circumstantial) to support this theory. I don't think you can just conclusively state that he didn't have the foresight.

The sum of these "great" moves? 0 Stanley Cups and a 10th place team. SDS earlier used the term "scoreboard." On the only "scoreboard" that matters Regier has not gotten on the board. The team that Regier has currently put together is nowhere near good enough to put Regier on the "scoreboard."

The sum of these "great" moves? 0 Stanley Cups and a 10th place team. SDS earlier used the term "scoreboard." On the only "scoreboard" that matters Regier has not gotten on the board. The team that Regier has currently put together is nowhere near good enough to put Regier on the "scoreboard."

I was wondering about that whole "scoreboard" thing as well.

Holy black-and-white Batman!

My point was simply to note some other good moves DR has made in response to DD's point that DR had only made 3 good moves as GM.

As for the whole "no Cup equals DR being a failure" meme, I'm not going to drag out the entire response, so I'll abbreviate:

- extenuating circumstances

- built a great team that ownership dismantled through incompetence

- we don't really know what went on in management, but there is plenty to suggest he was handcuffed

- can't pretend he worked in a vacuum

- etc.

As I've said before, I can't argue with replacing him if TP decides to do so. I happen to think he's a good guy and a good GM and could do very well under an owner as good as we are hoping TP is, so I'd like to see him get a shot, especially if the Sabres make the playoffs.

Darcy has made 3 great moves, and they were all pre-lockout.

Briere for Gratton

Drury for Ballard and Rhett

Dumont and Gilmour for Grosek

Here's the funny part......as good as those moves were, he didn't have the foresight to lock those players up to reasonable deals before they hit their absolute prime.

I think it's safe to say Drury's post-Sabres years have been anything but his prime.

Holy black-and-white Batman!

My point was simply to note some other good moves DR has made in response to DD's point that DR had only made 3 good moves as GM.

As for the whole "no Cup equals DR being a failure" meme, I'm not going to drag out the entire response, so I'll abbreviate:

- extenuating circumstances

- built a great team that ownership dismantled through incompetence

- we don't really know what went on in management, but there is plenty to suggest he was handcuffed

- can't pretend he worked in a vacuum

- etc.

As I've said before, I can't argue with replacing him if TP decides to do so. I happen to think he's a good guy and a good GM and could do very well under an owner as good as we are hoping TP is, so I'd like to see him get a shot, especially if the Sabres make the playoffs.

It's been 13 years. Regier has made some good moves as you said. My response was more to those that want to list all the moves made over 13 and call them "great." "Great moves" should be reserved to those that bring this team a Stanley Cup. They dumped Gratton for a guy on his way out of the league and hit on a 6th round pick. Good moves individually, as a whole they weren't close to enough.

I'm not buying the whole Regier is a victim thing. He is as much a victim as Muzzammil Hassan was.

It's been 13 years. Regier has made some good moves as you said. My response was more to those that want to list all the moves made over 13 and call them "great." "Great moves" should be reserved to those that bring this team a Stanley Cup. They dumped Gratton for a guy on his way out of the league and hit on a 6th round pick. Good moves individually, as a whole they weren't close to enough.

I'm not buying the whole Regier is a victim thing. He is as much a victim as Muzzammil Hassan was.

Darcy Regier hasn't won a Stanley Cup. I think your readers know this.

Semantically, if we settle on a definition of "Great" that excludes everything but a Stanley cup, there have been no Great Sabres, Great Coaches, or Great Hockey here, or any season here worth playing.

Do you think that stance could be a conversation killer? I do.

Its not an urban legend, i posted links to several articles in another thread. Here's a recent one calling him and Lamoriello as previously thought of "untouchables".

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/01/14/how-to-live-to-make-another-trade/

He may not be the right guy in buffalo moving forward but those saying he's incompetent are off base.

As to the point that you don't hear GMs bash each other, yea no kidding, but when one professional heaps praise on another you should take note.

Seriously?

That happens in every sport, all the time.

Everyone's "done a great a job", is a "great guy", has "great insights" etc etc.

The fact that someone may speak highly of Darcy doesn't necessarily mean that's how they really feel about him, all it means is that some reporter asked them a question about him.

And again, even if they do think highly of him, I'm sure they base that on a different criteria than I do - I want a competitive, or at the very least, an entertaining team. Darcy has delivered neither.

Darcy has made 3 great moves, and they were all pre-lockout.

Briere for Gratton

Drury for Ballard and Rhett

Dumont and Gilmour for Grosek

Here's the funny part......as good as those moves were, he didn't have the foresight to lock those players up to reasonable deals before they hit their absolute prime.

So in a sense, he didn't expect those guys to be as good as they were and sort of lucked out on them as well. If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it.

I'm a Darcy basher all the way, but TBF you forgot the Barnes for Barnaby deal.

I would like to see what DR can do under the ownership of TP. I think he could build a contender if TP gives him the tools to do it. I also have no problem with TP replacing him if he thinks DR wouldn't be a good fit for his sabres vision. BUT if we get rid of DR we have to get someone better and I don't think that is a easy or likely thing. I look at getting rid of Ruff the same way, is there someone out there who can do the job better here and is willing to do it? I think the answer is no

I'll be very happy when Pegula hands Regier his walking papers this off season.

It will mean so much, a new direction, a new mandate of Cups over the bottom line, a new culture within the organization.

Very bright days ahead for Sabres Nation, and Darcy Regier will not be a part of that.

Whether or not he could do it, or should be given a chance to, is a completely moot point.

The Regier years here in Buffalo are somewhat note worthy, given the 2 ECF's. I can't give him credit for the Hasek Cup run.

Regier made some shrewed moves while GM, of that we can all bare witness to. But, it must be pointed out, he bungled so much more, and that really is the legacy of his time here in Buffalo.

When people speak on the Regier Era 10, 15 years from now, it won't be the 2 ECF runs they speak on. It will most certainly be on the Drury/Briere Fiasco, and rightfully so.

As General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres, it was under Regier's tenure that a dismantling of a Stanley Cup Contending Team took place.

There is no excuse for it, you cannot point the finger at Larry Quinn or Tom Golisano. The job description of GM is defined.

I believe the ultimate failure of Darcy Regier was in his lack of success at convincing both Quinn and Golisano of just how important it is to complete the process of retaining Drury and Briere. Even with the motto of "Just Break Even", Regier had a duty to do everything in his power to see that take place. Upon the failure of re-signing those 2, he should have resigned himself.

Darcy Regier failed to hold Larry Quinn or Tom Golisano accountable for the actions surrounding Drury and Briere, and because he failed to resign and hold them accountable, this team has suffered an additional 4 seasons of a subpar product.

It is more than time for Darcy Regier to go. New blood, with a new vision is what is needed here. A sense of purpose on the ice, a sense of pride from the fan base. It is time to put to bed old debates about the previous group that ran this club, and shedding Darcy Regier from the organization will be a move in that direction.

Seriously?

That happens in every sport, all the time.

Everyone's "done a great a job", is a "great guy", has "great insights" etc etc.

The fact that someone may speak highly of Darcy doesn't necessarily mean that's how they really feel about him, all it means is that some reporter asked them a question about him.

And again, even if they do think highly of him, I'm sure they base that on a different criteria than I do - I want a competitive, or at the very least, an entertaining team. Darcy has delivered neither.

well sure bc they base their opinion on what the job actually entails, how hard it is to sign or trade players; not on an uneducated assumption.

So yea, there is a difference.

And go around and try to find pieces on other GMs calling them tops in the biz or bang for the buck.

I would like to see what DR can do under the ownership of TP. I think he could build a contender if TP gives him the tools to do it. I also have no problem with TP replacing him if he thinks DR wouldn't be a good fit for his sabres vision. BUT if we get rid of DR we have to get someone better and I don't think that is a easy or likely thing. I look at getting rid of Ruff the same way, is there someone out there who can do the job better here and is willing to do it? I think the answer is no

Regier was given the tools to do the job. He spent the money on the wrong players and the wrong type of players.

well sure bc they base their opinion on what the job actually entails, how hard it is to sign or trade players; not on an uneducated assumption.

So yea, there is a difference.

And go around and try to find pieces on other GMs calling them tops in the biz or bang for the buck.

You're ignoring the fact that these guys may have just been polite. Like I said, people slapping each others backs in sports is not uncommon in any way.

Don't get me wrong though - If you're happy with having the supposedly highly thought of Darcy Regier at the helm, then good for you.

I care about what I see on the ice, and Regier hasn't delivered anything worth a second glance for years, so again - I could care less if the man was considered to be Jesus himself, his team isn't good enough to compete, and it's dull to watch.

I think he's pretty much shown what he can do over the past 13 years, and I don't think it's anything I care to see more of.

You're ignoring the fact that these guys may have just been polite. Like I said, people slapping each others backs in sports is not uncommon in any way.

Don't get me wrong though - If you're happy with having the supposedly highly thought of Darcy Regier at the helm, then good for you.

I care about what I see on the ice, and Regier hasn't delivered anything worth a second glance for years, so again - I could care less if the man was considered to be Jesus himself, his team isn't good enough to compete, and it's dull to watch.

I think he's pretty much shown what he can do over the past 13 years, and I don't think it's anything I care to see more of.

I agree with you. Some people are quite happy with a mediocre product on the ice. I want a team that competes for the cup. Every year if possible. A team other teams hold in high regard much like Detroit. Regier hasn't brought that and after 13 seasons its clear he won't.

I guess I'll chime in now. Didn't TG say at the press confrence it didn't matter who was on the roster as long as they atleast broke even? Well the Sabres spent to within 5 million of the cap almost every single season! Darcy just paid the wrong guys, I don't necessarily believe he was overly handcuffed by 'the resources'. He F**ked up and valued guys like Hecht, Pommers and the Tin Man too high. Darcy felt that he couldn't keep Briere and Drury because he had planned a price tag on 'the core players' that would be handed big contracts within five years. Therefore, he felt he only had the resources to sign one of them. Well if he didn't over pay the three previously listed guys he would of had the money to pay our stars. That was a player value decision and not a lack of resources decision. Darcy has to go.

Archived