Ruff offered extension, turned it down

cdexchange

Ruff: Let's see if things actually improve before I re-up. Who can blame him after getting snookered the last time?

PTR

I'm sure that was the tenor of the conversation.

I will probably never agree with the both of you in one thread but i do here!!

Ruff is making news around the league based on speculation that he MIGHT be available this summer. The guy is good but has been coaching a B squad for a while now.

TIme will tell if Pegula is able to put the pieces in place.

I will probably never agree with the both of you in one thread but i do here!!

Ruff is making news around the league based on speculation that he MIGHT be available this summer. The guy is good but has been coaching a B squad for a while now.

TIme will tell if Pegula is able to put the pieces in place.

I am not convinced that Lindy is a top notch coach. However I can see many running scared if and when he goes. Kinda like a battered wife syndrome.

Like I've said before, Lindy should go no matter what his stance was. Either he...

A.) Sat idly by, taking whatever roster crap DR/LQ/OSP gave him and didn't make a peep.

or

B.) He told the 3 stooges he didn't like the roster he was given to work with, they told him to shut the hell up and he just mails it in year after year.

Just let him go. His methods are stale, the players have tuned him out and a new GM/owner isn't going to change that one bit.

Maybe Ruff wants to return as a GM?

Lindy Ruff turned down an offer to extend his contract last fall, but indicated he wanted to stay with the Sabres.

Does this mean he would prefer to be general manager? I think it's possible.

This possibility has some legs. I do recall an interview in fall or before season started where he said as much, that he did not want to coach forever and wanted to be a GM some day.

13 years coaching in Buffalo in dog years is like 91. Yeah I'd say he paid his coaching dues just not sure what he's done/participated in during that stint that screams GM material especially as Labatt points out, if he had input and sat idle while the roster was changed/shaped over that period and didn't have the balls to stand up and or walk out.

I'm sure he is just as good at evaluating talent as he is developing it as a coach :doh:

C'mon, you can't have it both ways....

Either the players all suck or the coach isn't doing his job.

Please name a coach who could develop Timmy, Hecht, Grier, Nieds, should I keep going???

I'm not saying Ruff's the best, but just because he can't turn shyt into sugar doesn't make him the worst, either.

C'mon, you can't have it both ways....

Either the players all suck or the coach isn't doing his job.

Please name a coach who could develop Timmy, Hecht, Grier, Nieds, should I keep going???

I'm not saying Ruff's the best, but just because he can't turn shyt into sugar doesn't make him the worst, either.

What shyt? He said before the season they were Cup contenders. He had Dominik Hasek in his prime. He had the right team to win the Cup after the lockout.

They're really coming out of the woodwork now.

What shyt? He said before the season they were Cup contenders. He had Dominik Hasek in his prime. He had the right team to win the Cup after the lockout.They're really coming out of the woodwork now.

I'm not going to defend Ruff, but this is at least partly unfair. He didn't win in 05/06 with an AHL defense so I won't lay that on him. 06/07 could be put on him for letting a great team lose focus. Either way, I agree its long past time for him to go and I'm confident Pegula sees this as well.

It seems to me this is all, who knew, about money. Ruff was simply being smart, and actually, so was Regier. The Sabres wanted to keep them both (who knows why but by the offer, they did). Regier knows he's not wanted by the fans and would not be a hot commodity on the open market, so he takes the deal. He's not going to get 2-2.5 million anywhere else and he likely wouldn't get a top job for a while after he leaves Buffalo. Ruff, on the other hand, is highly regarded around the league. He's going to get MORE money either from the Sabres new owner to stay, or from another team if he goes into the marketplace. He would be dumb to sign that extension, he'd lose money whether he stayed in Buffalo or not.

I don't even think it's sleazy for the Sabres to not announce it to the media given those facts, after reading today's Bucky article. They would have to answer questions about why Regier signed and Lindy didn't, and it would be a nightmare. That's really not their fault.

Archived