Ruff offered extension, turned it down

cdexchange

It seems to me this is all, who knew, about money. Ruff was simply being smart, and actually, so was Regier. The Sabres wanted to keep them both (who knows why but by the offer, they did). Regier knows he's not wanted by the fans and would not be a hot commodity on the open market, so he takes the deal. He's not going to get 2-2.5 million anywhere else and he likely wouldn't get a top job for a while after he leaves Buffalo. Ruff, on the other hand, is highly regarded around the league. He's going to get MORE money either from the Sabres new owner to stay, or from another team if he goes into the marketplace. He would be dumb to sign that extension, he'd lose money whether he stayed in Buffalo or not.

I don't even think it's sleazy for the Sabres to not announce it to the media given those facts, after reading today's Bucky article. They would have to answer questions about why Regier signed and Lindy didn't, and it would be a nightmare. That's really not their fault.

I think Bucky crossed the line suggesting that Darcy owed the fans a resignation. I'd like to see Bucky refuse $2.5M he didn't deserve.

PTR

I think Bucky crossed the line suggesting that Darcy owed the fans a resignation. I'd like to see Bucky refuse $2.5M he didn't deserve.

PTR

I'm sure Bucky would walk away from the News if he felt he wrote some columns that weren't up to par. That whole column left a bad taste in my mouth. It read like he was trying to suck up to the fans and get on their good side for once.

I'm sure Bucky would walk away from the News if he felt he wrote some columns that weren't up to par. That whole column left a bad taste in my mouth. It read like he was trying to suck up to the fans and get on their good side for once.

Agreed. I didn't like that article at all, and made me feel less about Bucky than Regier. No way in hell IMO that Bucky does what he suggests Regier does if he were in that position. Who would, and why should they?

Listening to that conversation with reporters I'm not sure if Lindy's "yeah I want to stay" was meant he wants to stay this season or if he wants to stay 'forever'. Did he mean he hopes not to get fired? or hopes to get re-hired?

So your contract goes through this season, correct?

"Correct."

Do you want to stay?

"Yeah, I want to stay."

Listening to that conversation with reporters I'm not sure if Lindy's "yeah I want to stay" was meant he wants to stay this season or if he wants to stay 'forever'. Did he mean he hopes not to get fired? or hopes to get re-hired?

So your contract goes through this season, correct?

"Correct."

Do you want to stay?

"Yeah, I want to stay."

Now you're thinking like a media critic!

Now you're thinking like a media critic!

But this after practice on his contract extension put down:

"The only light I'd like to shed is I want to win a Stanley Cup here in Buffalo," Ruff said in HSBC Arena. "That should conquer all other comments."

Means to me he's been a bit pissed at mng't. His remark of "It'll be nice to see Tom again" also interesting.

So, he thinks OSP is an absentee owner and mng't doesn't listen to him?

I love a true shitstorm.

C'mon, you can't have it both ways....

Either the players all suck or the coach isn't doing his job.

Please name a coach who could develop Timmy, Hecht, Grier, Nieds, should I keep going???

I'm not saying Ruff's the best, but just because he can't turn shyt into sugar doesn't make him the worst, either.

Isn't that a definition of coaching?

Why did you name Connolly, Hecht, Grier and Neids? Three of the four were established vets when they came to Buffalo which is off point. I guess you were just trying to name players that suck.

How about Vanek? Pominville? Myers? Have any of these three advanced beyond their natural ability? On a smaller scale, Butler, MacArthur, Kalinin, Max, Paille, Stafford, Kotalik. There is a long list of players that have seemed to have their development stall under Lindy Ruff's coaching.

OK.

I was skeptical after reading The Buffalo News today. They seemed to hint and lean the article towards Ruff not sure or not wanting to come back.

But the real proof is the interview after today's practice on the Sabres website.

At the end of the interview, Ruff is asked about his future, and he responds with "all that he wants to do is win a Stanley Cup with the Buffalo Sabres".

That is all I needed to hear. Ruff wants to remain.

I'd like to personally read into it that he was taking a slash at the recent penny pinching ways of Golisano and butt boy Larry Quinn, but that's more my bias.

Golisano and Quinn surely allowed the league to pluck the greatness we had going for nothing in return. Almost as if Regier was ordered to go out in the beginning, build the team up as best you can, because then we're moving out and will start listening to offers on what we hope will be a successful team. Flip the franchise in 5 years like alot of the scumbags did who helped to create the housing bubble.

But Ruff deserves an owner- whom I hope will be Pegulla- that will commit the necessary resources needed to become a Stanley Cup winning team.

The bigger question for me is: is Regier the guy we want at GM? Muckler did a great job for both us and Ottawa, but how old is he?

One guy I really like is our old coach, Rick Dudley. He seems to really know how to build 'em!

It seems to me this is all, who knew, about money. Ruff was simply being smart, and actually, so was Regier. The Sabres wanted to keep them both (who knows why but by the offer, they did). Regier knows he's not wanted by the fans and would not be a hot commodity on the open market, so he takes the deal. He's not going to get 2-2.5 million anywhere else and he likely wouldn't get a top job for a while after he leaves Buffalo. Ruff, on the other hand, is highly regarded around the league. He's going to get MORE money either from the Sabres new owner to stay, or from another team if he goes into the marketplace. He would be dumb to sign that extension, he'd lose money whether he stayed in Buffalo or not.

I don't even think it's sleazy for the Sabres to not announce it to the media given those facts, after reading today's Bucky article. They would have to answer questions about why Regier signed and Lindy didn't, and it would be a nightmare. That's really not their fault.

Well, let's hope that a new owner like Pegulla who actually is from the area and LIKES the Sabres is different from our ownership group of late.

Cambell, Drury, and Briere all wanted to stay in Buffalo. We lost these 3, and we're still looking to replace them. IMO, this is all Quinn and Golisano.

In today's interview on the Sabres website after today's practice, Ruff is asked about this at the end of the interview. His response is classic, and all-revealing: All Ruff wants to do is win a Stanley Cup with the Buffalo Sabres.

No more need be said.

Now we only need pray that our new owner will put his money where it will need to be to make that a reality.

Ruff deserves it. The fans deserve it. Buffalo deserves it.

Why did you name Connolly, Hecht, Grier and Neids? Three of the four were established vets when they came to Buffalo which is off point. I guess you were just trying to name players that suck.

How about Vanek? Pominville? Myers? Have any of these three advanced beyond their natural ability? On a smaller scale, Butler, MacArthur, Kalinin, Max, Paille, Stafford, Kotalik. There is a long list of players that have seemed to have their development stall under Lindy Ruff's coaching.

I don't think reality matches with this sentiment, you could make the case that Ruffs coaching style did not produce the best benefits for Macarthur, but I don't think the rest are very clear at all, in some cases the numbers say quite the opposite.

For those players who have played only under Ruff - some might argue that they would flourish with another coach (and this may even be true), but the other side of the coin is that perhaps Ruff has brought out even more from these players than others would. The reality is likely somewhere in-between the two extremes, but it is impossible to actually know.

As of 2/2/11:

Player		Ruff				Other NHL Coaches

Connolly	431GP, 298pts, .68ppg, -4	163GP, 75pts, .46ppg, -39
Hecht		526GP, 314pts, .60ppg, +51	220GP, 118pts, .54ppg, +29
Grier		217GP, 65pts, .30ppg, +0	819GP, 313pts, .38ppg, -8
Niedermeyer	40GP, 9pts, .23ppg, -3		1082GP, 450pts, .42ppg, -115

MacArthur	187GP, 79pts, .42ppg, -11	71GP, 50pts, .70ppg, -4
Kalinin		466GP, 145pts, .31ppg, +18	73GP, 17pts, .23ppg, -9
Afinogenov	569GP, 334pts, .59ppg, -26	82GP, 61pts, .74ppg, -17
Paille		195GP, 77pts, .39ppg, +20	95GP, 24pts, .25ppg, -5
Kotalik		426GP, 240pts, .56ppg, -24	110GP, 41pts, .37ppg, -23

Players who have only played under Ruff:

Butler		127GP, 30pts, .24ppg, -5
Stafford	286GP, 169pts, .59ppg, +13
Vanek		438GP, 354pts, .81ppg, +26
Pominville	426GP, 334pts, .78ppg, +40
Myers		129GP, 69pts, .53ppg, +2

Well, let's hope that a new owner like Pegulla who actually is from the area and LIKES the Sabres is different from our ownership group of late.

Cambell, Drury, and Briere all wanted to stay in Buffalo. We lost these 3, and we're still looking to replace them. IMO, this is all Quinn and Golisano.

In today's interview on the Sabres website after today's practice, Ruff is asked about this at the end of the interview. His response is classic, and all-revealing: All Ruff wants to do is win a Stanley Cup with the Buffalo Sabres.

No more need be said.

Now we only need pray that our new owner will put his money where it will need to be to make that a reality.

Ruff deserves it. The fans deserve it. Buffalo deserves it.

Agreed, but it's the only he could or should say, or that anyone would say. Ruff is a good coach and highly regarded. There is no way he should have signed that extension under the circumstances. We don't know but it's highly likely his ultimate dream is to win a Stanley Cup in Buffalo. But he is in the last year of his contract, he doesn't know Pegula until he spends a lot of time with him, and his smart and only move is to wait and see what happens when new ownership takes over. It's a no brainer for anyone, and it doesn't mean a thing about whether he likes or dislikes Buffalo, wants or doesn't want to stay, is good or not good, etc.

Agreed, but it's the only he could or should say, or that anyone would say. Ruff is a good coach and highly regarded. There is no way he should have signed that extension under the circumstances. We don't know but it's highly likely his ultimate dream is to win a Stanley Cup in Buffalo. But he is in the last year of his contract, he doesn't know Pegula until he spends a lot of time with him, and his smart and only move is to wait and see what happens when new ownership takes over. It's a no brainer for anyone, and it doesn't mean a thing about whether he likes or dislikes Buffalo, wants or doesn't want to stay, is good or not good, etc.

I agree.

And Who knows? We could be extrapolating from an entire conversation that could have been as simple as this:

Darcy: Do you want to take care of this now, or later? here are ballpark numbers....

Ruff: I think I'd rather talk about it this Spring.

Darcy: Sounds good, let me know when you are ready to sit down..

Uh, those aren't the only players that suck, and them being "established vets" was kind of my point. At this point in their careers, they are who they are. Are you suggesting that Ruff's system is holding Hecht back from being a sniper?

And IMHO, the other 3 you mention could well be victims of their teammates and having to play in a system designed to "help" the ones that suck, although that may be a reach as well.

The rest of this argument, along with PA (nice try with the "coming out of the woodworks", I've been here close to 3 years) suggesting Ruff should have mailed it in pre-season instead of saying he thinks they can win a cup have been argued over and over again.

Let's face it, there are 2 groups here; those who feel Ruff is to blame, and those who feel the talent brought in was not sufficient. OK, maybe 3 groups, because there are some who feel a little of both.

And for the record, I'm not opposed to Ruff being replaced. I've voiced my dislike for some of his "ways" in the past, I just don't think he's solely to blame for the guys who cannot produce. I'm also convinced there is nobody else who can come in and squeeze anymore out of our current group. If we're expecting a roster makeover, I think it's only fair to give Ruff a chance with some new blood.

Archived