GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

THERE YA GO DREW!

Montreal and NYR both won today, so no ground made up unfortunately. I've got my eye on Atlanta. 9 points back, but 3 games in hand and they're playing quite poorly.

Hey, 9 out of 10 possible points. I'll take it.

But didn't we gain ground on Carolina?

Yeah I'll go back and read 10,000 posts to see which one might have made your uterus pucker.

Uterus pucker... bet you didn't see that one coming.

I didn't. That was good.

Take a random sample, you teruspucher.

But didn't we gain ground on Carolina?

Was talking more about our win coupled with a competitor's loss.

Well folks, we're half way through the season. The good news is that we're in the midst of the team's best stretch of the season. The bad news is that we're 8 points out of 8th place and none of the teams ahead of us appears ready for a swan dive any time soon.

I think that making the playoffs will require the Sabres to play like a Top-4 team in the conference. I don't know if they have it in them, but I sure hope they do. B-)

The second half starts with a really good test against the Flyers.

Just read the entire thread. I went out to a movie with wifey. Wow what a Beautiful Life of a Butterfly. Starts out as an ugly worm turns to a shiney shell and finally a flying butterfly. Great work tonight as always everyone.

Deluca you still find ways amaze me.

Anyone know when they're going to give Lalime a start? Hasn't Miller played like 17 straight games? Just wondering

Hopefully never. Great guy, but one of the worst goalies in the league. How nice would it be to have someone like Jason LaBarbera as the backup? He played a great game tonight. If Darcy makes only one trade at the deadline, I hope it's for a decent backup goalie. There seem to be a ton of teams now that have two really good guys on the roster.

But if we sign him to big money will he just get lazy again?

No need to sign him to big money. Anyone who can negotiate a contract knows that outside of this season he hasn't proven he deserves anything. Give him as low as we can get away with and go from there. If he wants too much, screw him.

I hate, I mean hate to say it, but Stafford is worth re-signing. He's probably the only Sabre caable of scorin that OT goal. If they could just sign/trade for a few players to knock him out of the top 6.

I have refrained from saying this a number of times l, thinking it must be the alcohol talking. After this key goal and recent increased effort I can't help but agree. Perhaps how he says to have stressed off-season conditioning was a reality. It's almost fun watching him try to develop plays.

Finally at .500 in wins-losses (ignoring OTL).. Eight points back

Bring out your dead... Bring out your dead... I'm not dead. Yes you are. No I'm not.....

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Feel the city breakin'

And ev'rybody shakin'

And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Ah, ha, ha, ha,

Stayin' alive.

Stayin' alive.

Ah, ha, ha, ha,

Stayin' alive.

Well now, I get low and I get high

And if I can't get either I really try...............

Who knew that song was about Buffalo Sabres fans.....

Anyone else catch that stat they threw out last night about coaches sinces 2002? It said Ruff was the 5th winningest coach in that long stretch. What does that mean? 5th highest number of total wins? Or winning percentage? If its total wins, that's not saying very much seeing how there are probably less than 5 coaches still on the job from that time

No need to sign him to big money. Anyone who can negotiate a contract knows that outside of this season he hasn't proven he deserves anything. Give him as low as we can get away with and go from there. If he wants too much, screw him.

He is a RFA, give him his 10% raise and see if he can following this season up with another. No need to even consider a longer term deal at this point.

Anyone else catch that stat they threw out last night about coaches sinces 2002? It said Ruff was the 5th winningest coach in that long stretch. What does that mean? 5th highest number of total wins? Or winning percentage? If its total wins, that's not saying very much seeing how there are probably less than 5 coaches still on the job from that time

Probably more than you think. I didn't go through the whole list, but in the first part of the list were Claude Julien and Joel Quenneville, both of whom have coached every season over the stretch, but for three different teams. However, I will agree that # of wins would be misleading. Julien had two half seasons in there (came into one halfway through and was fired once halfway through), so despite having a slightly higher win % (52% vs. 51%), he has fewer wins.

I hate, I mean hate to say it, but Stafford is worth re-signing. He's probably the only Sabre caable of scorin that OT goal. If they could just sign/trade for a few players to knock him out of the top 6.

Contract year. I say cut ties with him.

I would entertain offers for him. If other GMs are willing to pay based on what he's doing now, ignoring his past, then take it. If not, then qualify him with the required small raise. His play has been worth taking a short-term chance on - maybe he finally "gets it" - but the fact that we've always questioned his heart more than his talent, means that there is a good chance that it's just a contract year effect. Tough call. The RFA status helps, but it's still not easy. As someone pointed out, this is what makes it tough to be a real GM.

I would entertain offers for him. If other GMs are willing to pay based on what he's doing now, ignoring his past, then take it. If not, then qualify him with the required small raise. His play has been worth taking a short-term chance on - maybe he finally "gets it" - but the fact that we've always questioned his heart more than his talent, means that there is a good chance that it's just a contract year effect. Tough call. The RFA status helps, but it's still not easy. As someone pointed out, this is what makes it tough to be a real GM.

What options does the team have here? How long can they sign him for before he becomes a UFA?

He is a RFA, give him his 10% raise and see if he can following this season up with another. No need to even consider a longer term deal at this point.

I agree with both of these.

Separately: that was a pretty good win. It reminded me of the way they won last year -- very good goaltending, strong team defense and opportunistic scoring. The Sabres need Miller to stay at this level if they're going to have a shot at 25-12-4 in the 2nd half, which would give them 95 points and put them into the playoffs.

Also, in response to an earlier question: the Sabres are 4-2 without Roy. Interesting, but far too early to draw any conclusions.

I agree with both of these.

Separately: that was a pretty good win. It reminded me of the way they won last year -- very good goaltending, strong team defense and opportunistic scoring. The Sabres need Miller to stay at this level if they're going to have a shot at 25-12-4 in the 2nd half, which would give them 95 points and put them into the playoffs.

Also, in response to an earlier question: the Sabres are 4-2 without Roy. Interesting, but far too early to draw any conclusions.

Strong team defense?

Well, Phoenix certainly dominated the 2nd period, but I didn't think there were the kind of breakdowns leading to breakaways and 2-on-1s like we've seen too often this season, including recently vs Colorado.

I think you're right about that. I just think if Miller hadn't been near the top of his game, he would have allowed three goals, at least, and the defensive play would have been in the crosshairs.

Archived