GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Game #41 the half way point of the season.

Sabres are sitting here 6 games under .500, 8 points out of 8th with a game in hand, a -7 goal differential and below .500 at home and on the road.

The most disturbing stat is that the Sabres have taken 7 out 8 points over the previous four games and appeared not to gain any ground.

It's not pretty folks. Not an impossible task. On a positive note, their recent stretch of points has allowed them to maintain their position while many of the pesky games in hand the teams around them had are getting eaten up.

Game #41 the half way point of the season.

Sabres are sitting here 6 games under .500, 8 points out of 8th with a game in hand, a -7 goal differential and below .500 at home and on the road.

The most disturbing stat is that the Sabres have taken 7 out 8 points over the previous four games and appeared not to gain any ground.

It's not pretty folks. Not an impossible task. On a positive note, their recent stretch of points has allowed them to maintain their position while many of the pesky games in hand the teams around them had are getting eaten up.

Where are the "yeah, right, they can't make up two points" people now?

Basically, the Sabres will need to go on a second-half pace equivalent to that set by Pittsburgh in the first half. 26-12-3, 55 points.

Bright side, for those people who have to find one: Just a year ago, this team was finishing up that kind of half-season. They were 26-11-4 at the halfway point (on their way to 30-11-6). That was with an elite Miller in goal.

Basically, the Sabres will need to go on a second-half pace equivalent to that set by Pittsburgh in the first half. 26-12-3, 55 points.

Bright side, for those people who have to find one: Just a year ago, this team was finishing up that kind of half-season. They were 26-11-4 at the halfway point (on their way to 30-11-6). That was with an elite Miller in goal.

Well, for one thing, it's later in the season.

But I'm glad to see that you're smug because the Sabres aren't doing well.

Good post. One minor point: the Sabres have 42 games left (not 41). I agree that they will need about 94-95 points to get in.

Perception is not necessarily reality. They gained 4 points on eighth place in those four games. Through 36GP, they had 32 points, 10 behind the 7/8th place Canadiens/Rangers, who had 42 points. Through 40GP, they have 39 points, while the Canadiens only had 45 points (Thrashers had 46 and Rangers had 47.) Through 41GP, the Thrasher will be eighth (possibly tied with the Hurricanes) with 46 points, so the Sabres could gain another one with a win tonight.

Well, for one thing, it's later in the season.

But I'm glad to see that you're smug because the Sabres aren't doing well.

That's not why I'm smug. I'm smug because I'm right, as always -- and smart, as smart as Mike Schopp, easily.

That's not why I'm smug. I'm smug because I'm right, as always -- and smart, as smart as Mike Schopp, easily.

But you're not right, for at least two reasons.

First, even if a team misses the playoffs, it doesn't mean they were out of it when back by only six points in November. They're still in it when back six points in November. In other words, anyone who thought this team was out of it in November wasn't right then, isn't right now, and won't be right if the team misses the playoffs in April.

Second, you seem to pull for this team to lose, just so you can say you're right. And that, my friend, is just so wrong that it never will be right.

First, even if a team misses the playoffs, it doesn't mean they were out of it when back by only six points in November. They're still in it when back six points in November. In other words, anyone who thought this team was out of it in November wasn't right then, isn't right now, and won't be right if the team misses the playoffs in April.

Second, you seem to pull for this team to lose, just so you can say you're right. And that, my friend, is just so wrong that it never will be right.

Well said :thumbsup: although lets remember who we are talking about here.

I believe we have one of those rare sitiations(mispeeled on purpose for all u nazi'z) where he is so messed up he has to be wrong to be right. :rolleyes:

Back to the game;

Would be nice to get the win. I'm rooting for Staff with another hat trick tonight.

Go Buffalo

I pull for the Sabres to lose? Really? I see you've joined Jack and chz and Cheech and Chong down in Olean for some smoke time.

In a moment of objective candor, this season I've said the Sabres would be better off losing enough games to get Ruff fired and/or get the first pick in the draft. I've never sat down to watch a game and pulled for the Sabres to lose. This is about, putting emotion aside, what is best for the franchise, when it was apparent to everyone but the Polyannas that they weren't making the playoffs.

Hell, even when they were two points back in November, the facts and history and the makeup of the team and a lame duck coach suggested their record that far into a season already made it very unlikely they would make the playoffs. A team with 69 points was not going to make the playoffs. And all that has been proven true. Despite turning their season around (14-9-3 since a 3-9-2 start), they've only fallen farther and farther behind in the race.

PA believes that they can't win the Cup with Lindy, so he wants them to lose, so that everyone (including the Sabres) will finally see he's right and do something about it. I don't have a problem with that except if you asked him if he'd rather have them win the Cup with Lindy this year or lose a lot so that he'd be fired, I'm afraid that I know what his answer would be (here's a hint: it's not the former.) Now, that would be taking it too far!

Well said :thumbsup: although lets remember who we are talking about here.

I believe we have one of those rare sitiations(mispeeled on purpose for all u nazi'z) where he is so messed up he has to be wrong to be right. :rolleyes:

Back to the game;

Would be nice to get the win. I'm rooting for Staff with another hat trick tonight.

Go Buffalo

You too? Wow, I never thought my ignore list on here would ever grow past one. Now it's up to three in one thread. Impressive.

PA believes that they can't win the Cup with Lindy, so he wants them to lose, so that everyone (including the Sabres) will finally see he's right and do something about it. I don't have a problem with that except if you asked him if he'd rather have them win the Cup with Lindy this year or lose a lot so that he'd be fired, I'm afraid that I know what his answer would be (here's a hint: it's not the former.) Now, that would be taking it too far!

Four!

This is pretty cool.

It's kind of sad, actually, to lose three pretty good posters. But I will be damned and sent by Pegula to hell if I am going to waste one minute of time talking to people who actually think I pull for the Sabres to lose or would not want to see the Sabres win a Cup goddamned yesterday. There's a pretty big fu*king difference between believing that going in the tank would be best thing for the franchise and sitting down for a Sabres game and rooting for them to lose.

Pending some clarification or apology, you three will go on ignore. Trust me, you're not going to like your cellmate.

It's kind of sad, actually, to lose three pretty good posters. But I will be damned and sent by Pegula to hell if I am going to waste one minute of time talking to people who actually think I pull for the Sabres to lose or would not want to see the Sabres win a Cup goddamned yesterday. There's a pretty big fu*king difference between believing that going in the tank would be best thing for the franchise and sitting down for a Sabres game and rooting for them to lose.

Pending some clarification or apology, you three will go on ignore. Trust me, you're not going to like your cellmate.

So when other posters twist your words in outrageous ways you're offended and go crying to the ignore button, but when you do it it's okay? Grow a pair.

Ah, lighten up ol' timer; we're just joshin' you. :thumbsup:

I give PAFan more grief than probably anyone else here (at least, anyone else who hasn't gone soldier of fortune on him), but there is no doubt that he wants them to win. I'd guess that he wants to be right too (and there is a bit too much I-told-you-so when upon those rare occasions), but who doesn't?

Well, since I'm probably the cellmate, you might not see this, but this is quite an overreaction.

Archived