Who plays the game?

JoDo

I love this thread. It's good (and bad) to know that ringers and refs are the same everywhere. I play ay a rink where just the house league has 70+ teams. There are 8 divisions, which I think is kind if silly. Can you really tell the difference between level 5 and 6. I would pay to see the division 1 games, though; the guys either were pro or are trying to be pro. Most of our games are 9pm or later, which I like. There is less guilt knowing the family is already asleep. The thing I don't like is that there are clubs with teams in more than 1 division and they move players up and down (mostly down) to win and the rink doesn't really care as long as the get their money.

I also try to get an open skate in as well on Thursdays. It's at a beat outdoor arena where you can see leaves frozen under the ice. It's great.

I play in various C and D leagues around New York City. I try to play somewhere different for each season. The best is the winter league. We play outdoors in Central Park at Lasker Rink. There are two rinks, which are built in a huge concrete swimming pool. They are smaller than regulation, and all the games are 4-on-4.

There are definitely nicer facilities and more efficiently run leagues in this city, but Lasker has the best atmosphere.

Oy... A runner myself. If my knees are anything likes Dad's, though, it won't last too much longer :(

I used to play hockey when I was a kid. I really miss playing - had some pretty good jets. I run as well. Did the NYC Marathon in 2007 and Toronto Waterfront Marathon in 2006. I am now officially retired from running anything more than 13 miles. If any of you are thinking about marathons, it is abolutely the toughest athletic thing I've done in my life by a long shot. It's not fun like hockey is either.

I live in NJ where hockey isn't nearly as popular as it is up where most of you guys live, but I've read that a few of you have played organized floor hockey. Is that something organized near where you live that you joined, or just a bunch of people getting together to play or what? I'd be interested in finding out if there is something like that around where I live but I haven't heard of anything and don't know where I'd look.

I used to play hockey when I was a kid. I really miss playing - had some pretty good jets. I run as well. Did the NYC Marathon in 2007 and Toronto Waterfront Marathon in 2006. I am now officially retired from running anything more than 13 miles. If any of you are thinking about marathons, it is abolutely the toughest athletic thing I've done in my life by a long shot. It's not fun like hockey is either.

Nice. I'll be trying to qualify to participate in the 2012 Boston Marathon. As I've gotten more competitive recently, I've found that training for long distance is a lot easier than another sport (I also competitive Ultimate for comparison) because it's so one-dimensional. Being physically well-rounded is not nearly as critical for runners as hockey players, for example. However, to be in ELITE company as a runner you do have to have the right body type, I believe. (apologies for interrupting some good rec hockey discussion... :blush: )

I love this thread. It's good (and bad) to know that ringers and refs are the same everywhere. I play ay a rink where just the house league has 70+ teams. There are 8 divisions, which I think is kind if silly. Can you really tell the difference between level 5 and 6. I would pay to see the division 1 games, though; the guys either were pro or are trying to be pro. Most of our games are 9pm or later, which I like. There is less guilt knowing the family is already asleep. The thing I don't like is that there are clubs with teams in more than 1 division and they move players up and down (mostly down) to win and the rink doesn't really care as long as the get their money.

I also try to get an open skate in as well on Thursdays. It's at a beat outdoor arena where you can see leaves frozen under the ice. It's great.

I've enjoyed all the responses as well, it helps me see how things are in other leagues. It seems while we haven't eliminated "ringers" we've done a good job at keeping the problem at bay.

I grew up playing a little pond hockey. Lived way out in the burbs with no ice or leagues. Took up organized hockey to keep up with my kids.

Ringers are a huge problem everywhere. Guys trying to relive their glory days are usually the guys that never had them in the first place. Now I refuse to play in the leagues - I enjoy drop in much more. There is a regular group that attends, and everyone recognizes we have to get up and go to work the next day.

I have no problem with the ringers who actually play a purely team game and don't try to go coast to coast every single time they touch the puck. The good ones will wind up playing D and just passing non-stop. Those guys are great. They're not my favorite ringers though. I absolutely love the ones who constantly make those coast to coast rushes... with their heads down. You may be better than me, but I'm bigger and I know how to check in the open ice. They usually learn their lesson really quickly. I've even had a ref or two complement me for it too.

edit: And I know BuffalOhio will try to read into this one, but these are the only guys I'll check.

I have no problem with the ringers who actually play a purely team game and don't try to go coast to coast every single time they touch the puck. The good ones will wind up playing D and just passing non-stop. Those guys are great. They're not my favorite ringers though. I absolutely love the ones who constantly make those coast to coast rushes... with their heads down. You may be better than me, but I'm bigger and I know how to check in the open ice. They usually learn their lesson really quickly. I've even had a ref or two complement me for it too.

edit: And I know BuffalOhio will try to read into this one, but these are the only guys I'll check.

What's funnty is that you can usaully get away with hitting them because the refs know who the ringers are as well. There have been many a ringer to leave our games angry at the no-calls. The better ones know they aren't going to get them and just play.

The ringers I hate the most are the ones that play just well enough to win. They go half speed most of the game so you think you know how to play them and then they kick it in and you have no shot. It's even worse when they are down by 1 goal and wait until the end of the gane to score 2 goals in the last 2 minutes to steal the win.

Nice. Not fer nothin', but unless it is your job and you are getting paid for it, why in the world would anyone not wear a full cage?

I just don't like it. Doesn't feel comfortable and I occasionally get claustrophobic with stuff over my face. Happened when I played football in HS. Would have anxiety attacks while running. But I will admit a full cage would have saved my ass.

I just don't like it. Doesn't feel comfortable and I occasionally get claustrophobic with stuff over my face. Happened when I played football in HS. Would have anxiety attacks while running. But I will admit a full cage would have saved my ass.

Do you smoke or dip? I know it sounds crazy but I used to get those anxiety attacks as well and I would have to go to the bench and rip my shoulder pads and helmet off. As soon as I quit nicotine, they stopped.

Do you smoke or dip? I know it sounds crazy but I used to get those anxiety attacks as well and I would have to go to the bench and rip my shoulder pads and helmet off. As soon as I quit nicotine, they stopped.

actually don't. but i also refuse to start taking meds for them because they make me wear out to easily.

Nice. Not fer nothin', but unless it is your job and you are getting paid for it, why in the world would anyone not wear a full cage?

After high school I played until I was about 30 without a cage or shield. Took a high stick in the chops and had 2 front teeth busted off at the gumline. I ruined about $3,000 worth of orthodontics that I had as a kid. Wore a full cage every game after that. Sometimes you don't get smart until it costs you.

After high school I played until I was about 30 without a cage or shield. Took a high stick in the chops and had 2 front teeth busted off at the gumline. I ruined about $3,000 worth of orthodontics that I had as a kid. Wore a full cage every game after that. Sometimes you don't get smart until it costs you.

Prob won't. Also think my helmet was unstrapped.

That's basically the reason I wear a cage. My parents paid a lot of money to straighten my teeth out and I'm not gonna ruin that. We have to wear cages anyway in the scrimmages we do twice a week at RIT due to insurance purposes. I wouldn't wear anything less anyway. These kids are not skilled and that means sticks, skates, elbows, etc, are everywhere. I don't mind a visor around good players at drop in games, but it's the bad ones that make me nervous.

The only think I read into it is, Good Job Shrader! As a ref, I hate the ringers, too. They ruin the game for us by pissing off all the normal players on the other team.

I see it all the time. Kids I've reffed since Pee Wee start to play in men's league and get drilled in the face. WHY WOULD YOU TAKE IT OFF AFTER YOU GREW UP WEARING IT?

I always wear my full cage. I play d and shots are always coming by. No need for additional pain!

The only think I read into it is, Good Job Shrader! As a ref, I hate the ringers, too. They ruin the game for us by pissing off all the normal players on the other team.

I see it all the time. Kids I've reffed since Pee Wee start to play in men's league and get drilled in the face. WHY WOULD YOU TAKE IT OFF AFTER YOU GREW UP WEARING IT?

I always wear my full cage. I play d and shots are always coming by. No need for additional pain!

I played mostly D as well. Yeah, it wasn't the smartest decision to go without a cage. Like I said, sometimes we don't get smart until stupid costs us. After a trip to ECMC late on a Friday night with broken teeth and a big bill cuz I didn't have dental insurance I got smart. Hopefully Xander gets smart before he has an expensive lesson. :thumbsup:

I played mostly D as well. Yeah, it wasn't the smartest decision to go without a cage. Like I said, sometimes we don't get smart until stupid costs us. After a trip to ECMC late on a Friday night with broken teeth and a big bill cuz I didn't have dental insurance I got smart. Hopefully Xander gets smart before he has an expensive lesson. :thumbsup:

Thinking about at least a half shield. I really do have beautiful eyes.

I play up front and on D and I absolutely love getting in front of shots to block them. I think I'm crazy enough just by doing that without shoulder pads. I couldn't even imagine doing it without a cage.

For those in a rec league, how is the scheduling and how far out are you usually scheduled?

We always get constant messages that the entire season will be posted online soon, but we're usually lucky if we even have our next month mapped out.

Thinking about at least a half shield. I really do have beautiful eyes.

I highly recommend the Oakley Aviator shield. Great visibility and what I feel is the most reassuring visor I've ever worn. Worth the bucks, and you might even find one cheaper on ebay or something.

http://www.greatskate.com/product/id/6686/s/78/m/100/Oakley-Pro-Aviator-Face-Mask.aspx

For those in a rec league, how is the scheduling and how far out are you usually scheduled?

Our entire schedule is posted at the beginning of the season, and very few if any changes are ever necessary. This is a new league (3 yrs) that we moved from a poorly run rink. We were promised better scheduling and have received it. It makes a huge difference when you can set your calendar. It sucks to miss games due to short notice, particularly when its not cheap when you break down the cost per game.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to skate in a game with professional players before? When I was in High School I played pickup with a few of the Charlotte Checkers (ECHL), and it was awesome. I played RW on a line with Matt Robbins who was an ECHL All-Star. The passes this guy could make were incredible. It was easily some of the most fun I've ever had playing.

A buddy of mine in Tampa once skated with Vinny Lecavalier in a summer pickup game. He was known to randomly show up at summer pickups and just put on an absolute show. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago though.

Archived