Who plays the game?

JoDo

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to skate in a game with professional players before? When I was in High School I played pickup with a few of the Charlotte Checkers (ECHL), and it was awesome. I played RW on a line with Matt Robbins who was an ECHL All-Star. The passes this guy could make were incredible. It was easily some of the most fun I've ever had playing.

A buddy of mine in Tampa once skated with Vinny Lecavalier in a summer pickup game. He was known to randomly show up at summer pickups and just put on an absolute show. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago though.

Some of the local ECHL guys will come out and play pick up in the weeks before their season begins. These are career ECHL guys who can't crack an AHL lineup for more than a couple games at a time. They are so skilled and so fast that I can't imagine what it must be like to be one the ice against NHL guys.

I play on the Chicago Hoseheads, in Division C of the local Hockey North America. Really well organized. They hold national championships in Toronto every year. We've gone three times. Made it to the Final Four a couple times. HNA has leagues in Cleveland, St. Louis, Boston, NJ, Detroit, Washington DC, NY, Calgary, and Minneapolis. Check out hna.com for more details.

Unfortunately, I caught a rut in the ice last week and snapped my fibula in two places against the boards. But it's a clean break, non-displaced, and no cart/lig damage or surgery. Should be skating again in a couple months.

Also play in a couple rec leagues. Beats the gym anyday.

Cheers,

Otis

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to skate in a game with professional players before? When I was in High School I played pickup with a few of the Charlotte Checkers (ECHL), and it was awesome. I played RW on a line with Matt Robbins who was an ECHL All-Star. The passes this guy could make were incredible. It was easily some of the most fun I've ever had playing.

A buddy of mine in Tampa once skated with Vinny Lecavalier in a summer pickup game. He was known to randomly show up at summer pickups and just put on an absolute show. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago though.

I've played with a number of upper level players before including Amerks healthy scratches at ESL here in Roch. My buddy mike had the honor of playing and practicing with former pro Mark Major, and Manitoba Moose teammates Shawn Weller and Tyler Weiman, over break in Glens Falls.

It's always great playing with pros. They make you better and are never ###### like a lot of the Captain Tryhards you get at beer leagues and drop ins. It's always fun playing goal against them, but even the slowest of their shots are always heavy. That's the one thing that really sets them apart.

I've played with a number of upper level players before including Amerks healthy scratches at ESL here in Roch. My buddy mike had the honor of playing and practicing with former pro Mark Major, and Manitoba Moose teammates Shawn Weller and Tyler Weiman, over break in Glens Falls.

It's always great playing with pros. They make you better and are never ###### like a lot of the Captain Tryhards you get at beer leagues and drop ins. It's always fun playing goal against them, but even the slowest of their shots are always heavy. That's the one thing that really sets them apart.

I had skated out my whole life, then decided to try goal when i had some extra cash for the gear. The first time I went out with my new-to-me gear, it was for an adult skills clinic that was being run in Tampa by a guy who played Division 3 in Minnesota, and then played pro a few seasons in Russia. First shot I faced was a booming slapper from the high slot from this guy, that caught me right square in the forehead just above my eyes/cage. Knocked me on my ass, but the puck didn't go in. For the next 30 seconds or so, all I could smell was burning rubber, like when a semi slams on his breaks. I can easily rate this as one of the best experiences of my life.

I had skated out my whole life, then decided to try goal when i had some extra cash for the gear. The first time I went out with my new-to-me gear, it was for an adult skills clinic that was being run in Tampa by a guy who played Division 3 in Minnesota, and then played pro a few seasons in Russia. First shot I faced was a booming slapper from the high slot from this guy, that caught me right square in the forehead just above my eyes/cage. Knocked me on my ass, but the puck didn't go in. For the next 30 seconds or so, all I could smell was burning rubber, like when a semi slams on his breaks. I can easily rate this as one of the best experiences of my life.

Playin goal is a blast. You gotta be a little crazy to enjoy things like that haha I know I do. One of my trademarks is constant bruises on my inner thighs because I don't wear goalie pants so there is no padding to protect against the dozens of five-hole saves made every game. I guess I'm a bit of a masochist haha

Playin goal is a blast. You gotta be a little crazy to enjoy things like that haha I know I do. One of my trademarks is constant bruises on my inner thighs because I don't wear goalie pants so there is no padding to protect against the dozens of five-hole saves made every game. I guess I'm a bit of a masochist haha

If you were a real masochist you wouldn't wear a cup.

So your safe word is "PUCK" ?

If you were a real masochist you wouldn't wear a cup.

I might be crazy but I'm not dumb. If you told me I could play net but only use one piece of gear, it'd be my goalie jock. That thing is a dream.

So your safe word is "PUCK" ?

Don't pretend like you didn't already know that.

Just turned 51 and have phased from deck hockey to roller. I never learned how to ice skate so I picked up rollerblading about five years ago. I play pickup only these days, the glue factory leagues. Puck or ball, it's a more accessible game, no expensive icetime with weird hours, and it's alot of fun. I live in Massachusetts, a hockey hotbed, so the level of play is high. I play with four different groups. Although there's a better chance of suddenly getting injured, my over-half-century year old bones don't ache afterwards like they do running. I still play street or deck but roller is the first thing I go for. I played for years at the American St. Hockey leagues in Buffalo then West Seneca and am good friends with Randy K. One game about fifteen years ago, I found myself playing against a young Jay McKee.

Just turned 51 and have phased from deck hockey to roller. I never learned how to ice skate so I picked up rollerblading about five years ago. I play pickup only these days, the glue factory leagues. Puck or ball, it's a more accessible game, no expensive icetime with weird hours, and it's alot of fun. I live in Massachusetts, a hockey hotbed, so the level of play is high. I play with four different groups. Although there's a better chance of suddenly getting injured, my over-half-century year old bones don't ache afterwards like they do running. I still play street or deck but roller is the first thing I go for. I played for years at the American St. Hockey leagues in Buffalo then West Seneca and am good friends with Randy K. One game about fifteen years ago, I found myself playing against a young Jay McKee.

So google tells me that deck hockey is street hockey? I've never heard it called that before.

That's basically the reason I wear a cage. My parents paid a lot of money to straighten my teeth out and I'm not gonna ruin that. We have to wear cages anyway in the scrimmages we do twice a week at RIT due to insurance purposes. I wouldn't wear anything less anyway. These kids are not skilled and that means sticks, skates, elbows, etc, are everywhere. I don't mind a visor around good players at drop in games, but it's the bad ones that make me nervous.

Absolutely. No way I want to have my teeth knocked out. I'm surprised it does not happen more often in the pros with how hard they shoot the puck and swing their sticks.

Been playing ice hockey since I was 5. Have played in both local adult leagues in the area for the last 11 years on Friday and Saturday nights.(I'm married so hockey IS the most enjoyable activity which involves sweating that I will be a part of on a weekend evening). The only "ringer control" is a draft at the beginning of each season to evenly spread out the ringers.Our full schedule is finalized and distributed at the first game.Both leagues are 27 games + playoffs. The cost is around $4000 per team. I had to come to grips with the fact that I will be sitting out for this season after Patella tendon repair surgery in October. Was standing on a plastic table trying to knock a wasp's nest down from the garage with my trusty Bauer Vapor. As I pushed up hard to scrape it off the table exploded and this season is history. When I get injured there's always a hockey stick in my hand for one reason or another. On the upside, I never miss a Sabres game!

I play goal in different levels in So. NH, from an open all-ability league to one made up of former college players. It gets harder since turning 50 but I'll never stop. There is no better feeling than being in that zone and hearing opposing players muttering to themselves after you stoned them. Of course those moments are getting fewer and farther between.

My best experience was when the Sabres alumni held their tourney at HSBC. Larry Playfair used to run it. One alum per team. Danny Gare scored on me. He came in on a breakaway an zipped one under my glove.

PTR

Archived