WJC Discussion Thread

Eleven

this thought crossed my mind as well when i saw the report that the sabres purchased the rights to realize the upside of the tournament. still, deals can be structured in a way that would allow the seller to retain the right to a revenue source that wasn't going to close until after the sale closed. still -- it makes me wonder.

i'd not heard this. srsly?

Wuh????

Okay so I did some Bucky journalism there and just pieced together some logical suppositions given todays PC health conscious bend in society. :nana:

Hey if it's good enough for the news to do today it's good enough for me.

That thought jumped my mind and really just drives more suspicion around penny pinching moves such as saving a few hundred thousand on Kennedy, taking the water coolers out and replacing them with drinking fountains and soda machines filled with gatorade and water bottles at $2.00 a piece.

2 bucks each? I heard it was 5 for 25!

Okay so I did some Bucky journalism there and just pieced together some logical suppositions given todays PC health conscious bend in society. :nana:

Hey if it's good enough for the news to do today it's good enough for me.

We need a middle finger smilie.

With almost no television footprint in the US to speak of. And no idea of Junior level hockey,(only 2 junior OHL teams in the US and none in NY) almost the only US support came from Buffalo itself (those Buffalonians not cheering for Canada/Foligno/Kassian)

If ESPN hosted this tournament the last 15 years, it would be a very different experience.

Juniors is just not part of the US hockey lexicon the way the NCAA is.

Canadian support came literally from all over Canada; it is a New Year Tradition. The only US support came WNY.

If true, and I am absolutely sure it is, is anyone really surprised or upset about this? I can't think of a single reason why any previous owner of anything wouldn't delay the sale for an extra $10 million.

Got to give lots of credit to Quinn for doing a lot of work to bring this tournament to Buffalo. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have hosted the games. Also, as i posted earlier, no US host has ever made money before. Most have lost and North Dakota came out even. USA Hockey takes the hits unless someone wants to take the risks and buy it off. Buying this for $3 million was a risk. And they came out great. Sportsnet is saying Sabres will make $10 mil or so, but i heard it'll be closer to $15 mil then $10mil... i forget who reported it, i wanna say the Globe and Mail.

USA Hockey made money.

Golisano and Quinn made money.

Seems like a big win, except for the fans of this area who were priced out...

Quote via twitter by Rob Simpson

Ystdy, I asked Torts if he was following World Juniors. "No" emphatically, said he didn't even know who USA was playing. Surprised me.....

Even a US born head coach in the NHL doesn't care about the WJC.... and people making a big deal about Buffalo's lack of a hockey town. lol

With almost no television footprint in the US to speak of. And no idea of Junior level hockey,(only 2 junior OHL teams in the US and none in NY) almost the only US support came from Buffalo itself (those Buffalonians not cheering for Canada/Foligno/Kassian)

If ESPN hosted this tournament the last 15 years, it would be a very different experience.

Juniors is just not part of the US hockey lexicon the way the NCAA is.

Canadian support came literally from all over Canada; it is a New Year Tradition. The only US support came WNY.

On the other hand, how awesome would it be if Buffalo got an OHL team? It'd be really easy to do: just use HSBC Arena and only sell tickets in the 100's and 200's. Suddenly it'd be really easy for people who normally can't afford those tickets to see the game up close. Plus, the hockey itself is good. And is there any downside to having 30+ more events at the arena every year?

On the other hand, how awesome would it be if Buffalo got an OHL team? It'd be really easy to do: just use HSBC Arena and only sell tickets in the 100's and 200's. Suddenly it'd be really easy for people who normally can't afford those tickets to see the game up close. Plus, the hockey itself is good. And is there any downside to having 30+ more events at the arena every year?

Plus you would have Kitchner fans making the drive.

Erie Otters are a great game day experience. Driving lakeside isn't however.

TSN's Bob McKenzie - "Before it gets too busy today, thanks to Buffalo and Buffalonians for their fine hospitality for last 11 days."

Bob McKenzie is a class act. He's one of the better NHL guys I follow on Twitter and he always seems to be a great guy. I'd buy him a beer. :beer:

If u take a look at the HSBC arena schedule, between Monter Trucks, concerts, Disney on Ice, Bandits, etc. during the hockey season there are very few days something is not going on. But, of course, in Buffalo there's nothing to do...

If u take a look at the HSBC arena schedule, between Monter Trucks, concerts, Disney on Ice, Bandits, etc. during the hockey season there are very few days something is not going on. But, of course, in Buffalo there's nothing to do...

HSBC Arena Schedule

I'm confident they could make it work. Besides, there's no benefit to giving the arena an "off day." It wants to have events.

It wants to have events.

dern tootin'.

i have an absurd affection for personifying buildings and structures in this way -- like when our office's manager sends out an e-mail such as "the building left us a very nice collection of holiday chocolates at reception - help yourself!"

Swedes do not play the same physical style as Canada did against USA and imagine that USA looks like a completely different team.

Just confirms how good a game plan and execution Canada had the other night.

I wonder if Cameron will get a look for any coaching vacancies this off season? My guess is his stock goes way up if they have another game plan that dominates the Russians like they did US

USA with the Bronze. Final score 4-2. Good for the home team. First time we won medals in back to back tournies for USA. A little bit of history written in Bflo today. :thumbsup:

Got to see the last period and half here at home. I also saw the USA in every other game they played this tourney and one thing that jumps out at me now is just what a difference in how a team can look. Night and day when they faced the fast stick soft body checking european style verse a well executed physical game plan like Canada pulled out. I can only hope the new owner opts for the later style of play.

Archived