24/7 show

bruceleeroy

Can you imagine what Crosby, Ovechkin, etc would be doing in Gretzky-era NHL???

Yep. That was a wide-open era. I don't know that Crosby would put up Gretzky stats but given what he's doing today, the numbers he'd put up would sure be impressive.

uh yeah do you?

I don't think you do. It means "effectively" or, in simpler terms, "in different words" So the phrase "X said something to the effect of Crosby is the 2nd coming of #99" means "X said, in different words, that Crosby is the 2nd coming of #99."

I don't think you do. It means "effectively" or, in simpler terms, "in different words" So the phrase "X said something to the effect of Crosby is the 2nd coming of #99" means "X said, in different words, that Crosby is the 2nd coming of #99."

no it means its something like that, not entirely like that.

no it means its something like that, not entirely like that.

Wrong. The substance is the same but the specific words differ.

Please don't waste other people's time by posting on matters that you aren't knowledgeable about.

Link

or words to that effectFig. or similar words meaning the same thing. John: It says right here in the contract, "You are expected to attend without fail," or words to that effect. Mary: That means I have to be there, huh? John: You got it! Sally: She said that I wasn't doing my job well, or words to that effect. Jane: Well, you ought to find out exactly what she means. Sally: I'm afraid I know.

Another link

or words to that effect

used to indicate a paraphrase or the chance of an error in the details of reported speech. When he hit his finger with the hammer, he said "ouch" or words to that effect.

OK, while I'm using nfreeman as my personal Monday morning piñata, let me get one more out of the way:

Nice new avatar, professoring your admiration for Lindy (this after you said you wouldn't have a problem with Pegs bringing Marcy back).

Yup, Lindy's doing a fine job this season with a team he insisted was a Stanley Cup contender. :oops:

Yeah but good ole nfreeman won the battle and lost the war.

Don't start none, won't be none.

OK, while I'm using nfreeman as my personal Monday morning piñata, let me get one more out of the way:

Nice new avatar, professoring your admiration for Lindy (this after you said you wouldn't have a problem with Pegs bringing Marcy back).

Yup, Lindy's doing a fine job this season with a team he insisted was a Stanley Cup contender.

I take it you mean "professing" my admiration for Lindy. Yes, I do admire Lindy. I think during his tenure here, he's been put into very difficult situations on multiple occasions by management and has generally done well. I'm not happy with this season, but I don't blame Lindy. There's a limit to how good the chicken salad can be when the ingredients are such low-grade chicken feathers. This is true regardless of the SC talk during preseason. Should he have set expectations lower? What would have been the point of doing so?

I also don't think that view is incompatible with being OK with Pegula putting his own people in after he buys the team.

Also, your parenthetical is a non sequitur.

Don't start none, won't be none.

I take it you mean "professing" my admiration for Lindy. Yes, I do admire Lindy. I think during his tenure here, he's been put into very difficult situations on multiple occasions by management and has generally done well. I'm not happy with this season, but I don't blame Lindy. There's a limit to how good the chicken salad can be when the ingredients are such low-grade chicken feathers. This is true regardless of the SC talk during preseason. Should he have set expectations lower? What would have been the point of doing so?

I also don't think that view is incompatible with being OK with Pegula putting his own people in after he buys the team.

Also, your parenthetical is a non sequitur.

Lindy didn't think he had chicken feathers, or chicken salad. He thought he had the fanciest chicken (insert name of fancy chicken dish; the fanciest I get is sweet and sour chicken) in the world. You want a coach that BSes the media, the players, the fans, his GM and ownership, himself? He certainly thought he had a playoff team, and this team isn't making the playoffs.

It does follow. You would be OK with Lindy and Darcy coming back under new ownership. Sorry, the idea nauseates me.

Professoring? Really? Double wow.

Lindy didn't think he had chicken feathers, or chicken salad. He thought he had the fanciest chicken (insert name of fancy chicken dish; the fanciest I get is sweet and sour chicken) in the world. You want a coach that BSes the media, the players, the fans, his GM and ownership, himself? He certainly thought he had a playoff team, and this team isn't making the playoffs.

It does follow. You would be OK with Lindy and Darcy coming back under new ownership. Sorry, the idea nauseates me.

Me too, and professoring is not a word.

How do you know what he thought he had?

Other than the media and fans, how do you know whom he was BSing?

Answer: you don't.

As for the alleged non sequitur:

The fact that the thought of bringing back DR and LR nauseates you (i) doesn't make this any less of a non sequitur and (ii) is itself a non sequitur in the discussion of whether the above is a non sequitur.

I am aware.

George is getting very upset.

If you're trying to make the point that it's inherently uncool to correct other posters' grammar/spelling/etc., I don't disagree. The whole "to the effect of" kerfuffle started when one of the FNG juveniles corrected me (incorrectly, as it turned out). You did the same thing with "schizophrenic" (also incorrectly) in a different post.

Again: don't start none, won't be none.

If you're trying to make the point that it's inherently uncool to correct other posters' grammar/spelling/etc., I don't disagree. The whole "to the effect of" kerfuffle started when one of the FNG juveniles corrected me (incorrectly, as it turned out). You did the same thing with "schizophrenic" (also incorrectly) in a different post.

Um,.. shouldn't it be don't start some, won't be some?

Can you imagine what Crosby, Ovechkin, etc would be doing in Gretzky-era NHL???

And here's another part of why it's so hard to make that comparison. If they played during that era, they wouldn't be in anywhere near the shape they are in today. Hell, Ovechkin more than likely would have never made it out of Russia instead would have been playing for the Red Army team.

No, you clearly didn't get the point of the latest post.

I am aware... it's not a word.

George is getting upset... with himself.

Do you think under Pegula the Sabres will be worth talking about again on a Sabres message board?

The whole "to the effect of" kerfuffle...

i'm sorry i said anything. the weird thing is, i knew that statement would irk some. sadly, i actually tried to word it so as not to imply that i think sid is the next gretz. fail.

i'm sorry i said anything. the weird thing is, i knew that statement would irk some. sadly, i actually tried to word it so as not to imply that i think sid is the next gretz. fail.

Don't be sorry -- hockey talk is the whole point! I was just reacted to being incorrectly corrected.

Also, I think everyone is a bit grumpy because the Sabres seem to be bottoming out.

Archived