GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

"Product of a system" is such crap. Brodeur is the system. Hasek, Roy and Brodeur are the three greatest goalies to ever play the game. I don't think there is even a close fourth. Of course Brodeur isn't the goalie he once was. Hasek wasn't the same when his career winded down. The point remains that there is no goalie playing today that can compare to the top three. Not Miller and not even Louongo.

Brodeur and roy have had the greatest careesr by far, but if you could pick one goalie from any point in time to play a must win game it would be hasek and it's not even close. In his prime he was the greatest goalie to ever strap on a pair of leg pads.

As for your point, I agree. I read your initial post to mean no one is as good as the current version of brodeur, which is obviously horse hockey. Even team Canada coaches knew he was washed up at the olympics last year, or maybe that was just ruff mismanaging his back up.

Yeah, it's called slashing.

Same concept goes for butt-ending and spearing.

Re-Dick-Q-Less.

So when a guy skates all the way across the ice with the intent of crushing someone into the boards, but misses, he could get an attempted charging call.

It's crap.

Re-Dick-Q-Less.

So when a guy skates all the way across the ice with the intent of crushing someone into the boards, but misses, he could get an attempted charging call.

It's crap.

No, in the NHL's infinite wisdom, there is no attempted charging. Or high sticking or cross checking.

The NHL must have at some point really emphasized getting butt-ending, spearing and slashing out of the game. It seems to have worked.

No, in the NHL's infinite wisdom, there is no attempted charging. Or high sticking or cross checking.

The NHL must have at some point really emphasized getting butt-ending, spearing and slashing out of the game. It seems to have worked.

Did you really just say that?

Is this the end of the world? Probably not. The Sabres still have more than half the regular season to play and have to catch up to weaker teams in 6-8th place. This should be an easy task. Buffalo has kept most of their team intact from last year, so we all know how good they can be, just wait until they are all healthy again (if that ever happens) and they'll get a streak going themselves. You really think Buffalo can't catch up to teams like Atlanta or New York? Atlanta For ####'s sake!

Atlanta is a perfect example (so far) of a team that takes action and changes their roster (unlike the Sabres) and improves the quality (adding character) of their team. It's status quo in Buffalo! Someone should sing a tune to that one on the whiner line. The problem with our injured players is that everyone has had it in for Connolly and Stafford this year. They don't meet expectations. They play and play well sometimes, but they are many players out there who play all the time. A good analogy - if PA and Deluca were Sabres hockey players instead of posters, we'd win the Cup every year.

Okay, I have let enough time and alcohol elapse between last nights game and now to take some of the sting away. I was forced to watch the Pittsburgh announcers last night here on CI. Some interesting comments were made by them. Here are my notes and take.

Buffalo played a pretty spirited game. Rob Errey said he asked Lindy before the game about the Penguins being a tough team this year and Lindy didn't buy into that, was having no part of it, wouldn't go there, didn't know why he would not acknowledge it. They noted Blysma by choice fielded their skating line up vs their tough guy line up because they did not consider Bflo a tough team to play.

They also made a comment about the Pens game plan which noted Bflo's record is solid when Thomas Vanek scores and considered him the sniper and man to be accounted for on Bflo. Hence the plan was Vanek being punished all over the ice.(note Bostons plan last year in Playoffs) I did see several instances of that especially the penalty but did not catch all the off camera action so if anybody was at the game and can collaborate it was being done that would be interesting.

What I am not sure is whether they did that after Weber took on Crosby or were they doing that before. If they started it then I love the fact Weber went right after their superstar because that's the way it is supposed to be played. Now Sabres please take notes, the universal response the Pens had to Weber is also the way a team is supposed to respond to other teams taking liberties to their stars. Sadly I only see a small handful of Sabre players do that game in and out.

We defintely out chanced them but this team just does not know how to finish. You can practice that B'lo, there are shooting, passing,tipping, timing(e.g. 3 rd man staying high instead of all 3 at the blue paint) and one time drills this team needs after school work on. Hate him if you must but if several of our supposed stars spent half the time in practice/drills that Crosby does we would finish a lot more plays.

As many have already posted, Miller did not make a difference again last night. He seems to be going down and staying down a lot sooner than I remember. And I hate those WTF looks as the puck is tipped up or around his spread eagle a$$. I am not convinced he really is 100 % because he does not have that fluid lateral movement or that quick pop back up spring anymore that I saw Fluery using last night. I didn't stay to watch but Fluery deserved a star last night Miller only if it was for the Pens.

Last truth or dare, Bflo confirmed again last night they are not in the same league as the top teams in the league but they were entertaining and in it for 2 + periods and if they can eliminate their mistakes and get excellant goaltending they can keep it interesting through the rest of the season just don't bet the farm on this team if it somehow does make the playoff's. I know I know it's settling for less but I can't quit on this team like they have sometimes because then I'll have to become a Penguin fan. My Miller olympic jersey last year is the last $ I am spending on this team till a new owner or something major changes.

On a side note please bring Enroth back up because he played some real solid games when here and team responded with better D at that time as well. Miller will need some rests and maybe some motivation if it isn't injury related to get his game back in order or at least 90% of where it was mid season last year.

Okay, I have let enough time and alcohol elapse between last nights game and now to take some of the sting away. I was forced to watch the Pittsburgh announcers last night here on CI. Some interesting comments were made by them. Here are my notes and take.

Buffalo played a pretty spirited game. Rob Errey said he asked Lindy before the game about the Penguins being a tough team this year and Lindy didn't buy into that, was having no part of it, wouldn't go there, didn't know why he would not acknowledge it. They noted Blysma by choice fielded their skating line up vs their tough guy line up because they did not consider Bflo a tough team to play.

They also made a comment about the Pens game plan which noted Bflo's record is solid when Thomas Vanek scores and considered him the sniper and man to be accounted for on Bflo. Hence the plan was Vanek being punished all over the ice.(note Bostons plan last year in Playoffs) I did see several instances of that especially the penalty but did not catch all the off camera action so if anybody was at the game and can collaborate it was being done that would be interesting.

What I am not sure is whether they did that after Weber took on Crosby or were they doing that before. If they started it then I love the fact Weber went right after their superstar because that's the way it is supposed to be played. Now Sabres please take notes, the universal response the Pens had to Weber is also the way a team is supposed to respond to other teams taking liberties to their stars. Sadly I only see a small handful of Sabre players do that game in and out.

We defintely out chanced them but this team just does not know how to finish. You can practice that B'lo, there are shooting, passing,tipping, timing(e.g. 3 rd man staying high instead of all 3 at the blue paint) and one time drills this team needs after school work on. Hate him if you must but if several of our supposed stars spent half the time in practice/drills that Crosby does we would finish a lot more plays.

As many have already posted, Miller did not make a difference again last night. He seems to be going down and staying down a lot sooner than I remember. And I hate those WTF looks as the puck is tipped up or around his spread eagle a$$. I am not convinced he really is 100 % because he does not have that fluid lateral movement or that quick pop back up spring anymore that I saw Fluery using last night. I didn't stay to watch but Fluery deserved a star last night Miller only if it was for the Pens.

Last truth or dare, Bflo confirmed again last night they are not in the same league as the top teams in the league but they were entertaining and in it for 2 + periods and if they can eliminate their mistakes and get excellant goaltending they can keep it interesting through the rest of the season just don't bet the farm on this team if it somehow does make the playoff's. I know I know it's settling for less but I can't quit on this team like they have sometimes because then I'll have to become a Penguin fan. My Miller olympic jersey last year is the last $ I am spending on this team till a new owner or something major changes.

On a side note please bring Enroth back up because he played some real solid games when here and team responded with better D at that time as well. Miller will need some rests and maybe some motivation if it isn't injury related to get his game back in order or at least 90% of where it was mid season last year.

I hate to say this, but Buffalo is not in the same league as the midland teams. Out of their 12 wins, they have only three that have any meaning; Washington and Ottawa twice.

This is the first time that someone has made a real case to me for Gerbe not being on the first line. If indeed they were taking shots at Vanek, if Gerbe's not scoring then we need someone with size to take shots back.

What are you talking about?

I really don't know to be honest. At least this time I can blame it on the Granville Island winterale and shots of fireball. Like others I had to drown my sorrows by going out with good company and soaking myself in the spirits.

I hate to say this, but Buffalo is not in the same league as the midland teams. Out of their 12 wins, they have only three that have any meaning; Washington and Ottawa twice.

This is the first time that someone has made a real case to me for Gerbe not being on the first line. If indeed they were taking shots at Vanek, if Gerbe's not scoring then we need someone with size to take shots back.

My original intent was not meant as a shot against Gerbe just reporting what the Pens announcers were saying.

That said, if indeed the idea going around the copy cat league we have is punish/knock Vanek off his game to beat this team then I do agree we need someone like McCormick on that line willing to spill some blood otherwise that scenario will continue.

If Vanek is being targeted (and it doesn't suprise me if he is) then Pomminstein is being targeted too. Every game since he's come back from the concussion he has been hit hard. IMO he has an even bigger target on him than Vanek right now.

Teams know they can get away with targeting our offensive players. Until we show other teams that we are willing to return the favor it will continue. Roughing up Crosby was a start, but it needs to continue and be done with more ill intent.

Teams have been taking liberties with this team for a couple of years now. They are seen as small and soft and its commented on frequently by other teams announcers if you feel like putting yourself through the indignity of listening to the enemies viewpoint. The thing about Crosby is if you watch him closely you'll see he is very crafty with his stick work and slashes at wrists and hands often, as do players on every team but Sid seems to get away with it. With the type of players we have waiting in the AHL to make the big club I don't think it will be long before other teams consider the sabres tough to play against. I dream of that day and I truly hope this team becomes known for smashmouth hockey and regains that blue collar work ethic that has been missing.

My original intent was not meant as a shot against Gerbe just reporting what the Pens announcers were saying.

I had the Pens broadcast on Center Ice and it was brutal. I expect all announcers to favor their own team but they were insanely obnoxious. Every time there was any type of scrum after the whistle, it's like they couldn't see any of it until they saw a Sabre take a shot at someone (i.e. the Sabres starting it and deserving extra penalties). The thing after Ennis' goal was clearly just Gaustad and Orpik getting tangled up and ending up in a shoving match, but for some reason their color man tried to say Gaustad "jumped" Orpik.

Their color man was actually so over the top with his homerism that the play-by-play guy just shrugged off a ton of his "points" on air.

That said, if indeed the idea going around the copy cat league we have is punish/knock Vanek off his game to beat this team then I do agree we need someone like McCormick on that line willing to spill some blood otherwise that scenario will continue.

Teams definitely go after Vanek (that's how the Bruins beat us in the playoffs last year) but I don't know they actually throw him off. He's one of our only guys putting up points.

Maybe Zack Kassian plays with Vanek and Roy next season. The Gerbe thing isn't working. If they put Adam with Ennis and Pominville, then they'd have two scoring lines with a good mix of size, speed, and talent.

I had the Pens broadcast on Center Ice and it was brutal. I expect all announcers to favor their own team but they were insanely obnoxious. Every time there was any type of scrum after the whistle, it's like they couldn't see any of it until they saw a Sabre take a shot at someone (i.e. the Sabres starting it and deserving extra penalties). The thing after Ennis' goal was clearly just Gaustad and Orpik getting tangled up and ending up in a shoving match, but for some reason their color man tried to say Gaustad "jumped" Orpik.

Their color man was actually so over the top with his homerism that the play-by-play guy just shrugged off a ton of his "points" on air.

Teams definitely go after Vanek (that's how the Bruins beat us in the playoffs last year) but I don't know they actually throw him off. He's one of our only guys putting up points.

Maybe Zack Kassian plays with Vanek and Roy next season. The Gerbe thing isn't working. If they put Adam with Ennis and Pominville, then they'd have two scoring lines with a good mix of size, speed, and talent.

unfortunately this team is more than a kassian away from being a top team. There are only 8 teams worse, points wise, this season.

i dont think the problems can be placed on any one person's shoulders; its a combo of players playing like kittys and not to their potential, coaching, and obviously GM-ing.

unfortunately this team is more than a kassian away from being a top team. There are only 8 teams worse, points wise, this season.

Next year they'll have Kassian and Brayden McNabb and Marcus Foligno should be signed and in Portland, giving us even more size and strength on the way.

The problem with the Sabres is that they get very little from their veteran players: Connolly, Stafford, Gaustad, Hecht, and even Pominville. We do have a lot of promising young players. Ennis is only 21. Adam is 20. Weber is 22. Tyler Myers is still 20 until February. They're all still YEARS away from their peak potential. Plus we have Shiestel and Brennan in Portland.

I do want the Sabres to make some trades and sign a big free agent, but they should improve regardless just from clearing out the old players and letting the young ones in.

Next year they'll have Kassian and Brayden McNabb and Marcus Foligno should be signed and in Portland, giving us even more size and strength on the way.

The problem with the Sabres is that they get very little from their veteran players: Connolly, Stafford, Gaustad, Hecht, and even Pominville. We do have a lot of promising young players. Ennis is only 21. Adam is 20. Weber is 22. Tyler Myers is still 20 until February. They're all still YEARS away from their peak potential. Plus we have Shiestel and Brennan in Portland.

I do want the Sabres to make some trades and sign a big free agent, but they should improve regardless just from clearing out the old players and letting the young ones in.

Agreed.

I dont think we can count on the young playersin the system way of team building. We have been saying the same thing for years --- stafford, ennis gerbe weber etc etc.

I know some of the young guys are young, but they arent elite level guys. The only guy who seems to have that potential is myers. Kassian isnt even a projected 1st line player in the NHL.

For example look at the teams that are routinely successful, like pitt, yes they have once and a lifetime player in crosby, but they also have Malkin. we have? jason pomminvulle and vanek.

I mean dusting byfyglien has more points than all of the sabres, and he friggin switched to Defense this year!!

Its not impossible for a team without superstars to be successful, it just doesnt happen that often.

I guess my point is... i don't see how this team makes the playoffs and gets past the first round with this roster. i don't see how they come close to making the playoffs next year assuming we lose TC and Stafford to FA and replace them with some teenagers from the OHL and Portland.

Just in case anyone is interested, I wanted to share some of the pictures I took at the game. My Dad and I went up for both the Bills and Sabres games, and got seats on the glass behind the Sabres bench, two seats from the tunnel. It was a pretty neat experience, sitting down that low, and hearing the players and coaches talk to each other.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=584930&id=617370163&l=7b0e7d0583

Funniest part of the night:

Lindy (to Chris Butler): Are you backchecking?

Butler: (Nods Head)

Lindy: Really?! Cause you're the first F***in' man in! As soon as that G*d D**n puck gets fired in, you get the F**k down there and hit someone! I don't give a F**k who it is! F***in' hit him!

Just in case anyone is interested, I wanted to share some of the pictures I took at the game. My Dad and I went up for both the Bills and Sabres games, and got seats on the glass behind the Sabres bench, two seats from the tunnel. It was a pretty neat experience, sitting down that low, and hearing the players and coaches talk to each other.

http://www.facebook....63&l=7b0e7d0583

Lindy: Really?! Cause you're the first F***in' man in! As soon as that G*d D**n puck gets fired in, you get the F**k down there and hit someone! I don't give a F**k who it is! F***in' hit him!

Awesome dude! Difference in pic 5 to 35 says it all.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=584930&id=617370163&l=7b0e7d0583

Great pics - wonderful to spend a weekend like that with your dad - and a neat exchange with butler.

Curious - how was it watching the game from down there? I have thought about buying tickets there before, but was worried we wouldn't be able to see anything?

This exchange really took place? Because that's sad.

Butler needs to be told to hit people? :sick:

http://www.facebook....63&l=7b0e7d0583

#22 is pretty cool, the people reflected in Lindy's head. And, above and to the left, a schoolboy Lindy has traveled from the past to see what being a head coach in the NHL is like.

Opposing teams have been keying on Vanek for the past two years. That will continue until there is a second line and or another 80+ point playmaker/scorer with size, to worry about.

Great pics - wonderful to spend a weekend like that with your dad - and a neat exchange with butler.

Curious - how was it watching the game from down there? I have thought about buying tickets there before, but was worried we wouldn't be able to see anything?

It was difficult at times. We had trouble seeing anything on the far end along the bench wall. But, the cool things outweighed the bad things.

You could see most everything at the near end of the ice though...when McCutcheon's head wasn't in the way.

Archived