Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

These were my cynical thoughts the whole day - build up some good will with the people with the Sabres so we'll go easy on him when he trashes drinking water and clearcuts Allegheny State Park.

Fracking -- that was the word I was thinking about. The controversial method of extracting natural gas out of the ground?

And Pegula still owns the rights to 350,000 acres of Marcellus shale land! It's interesting to note the regulatory atmosphere difference between PA and NY regarding Marcellus Shale drilling. Ironic, maybe.

The main point being....Pegula pretty much hit his homerun and is in the Hall of Fame now. Golisano in relation hit a ground rule double, and is stuck at 2nd base relying on a SS in the 8 hole to drive him home.

Pegula is the real deal.

A guy like this can eat a $10 million loss for breakfast. In a perfect world, if this guy had gonads of steel.....I would make my changes in management, spend to the cap, then offer all season ticket holders a 20% refund if the Sabres don't make the playoffs next year.

Darcy should make the same offer to Pegula if he wants to stay on. If Quinn is really the one who has stopped him from showing his brilliance....work for peanuts and tie your bonus to the performance of the team.

"Quinn, who is from Buffalo, played a key role in getting Golisano to purchase the Sabres for $92 million out of bankruptcy in April 2003, and ensure their future in the city. Golisano is from nearby Rochester, but has relocated to Florida because he’s unhappy with high New York taxes.

Golisano has on several occasions indicated he’s open to adding partners or selling a majority stake of the team, so long as the Sabres remain in Buffalo.

Under Golisano, the Sabres have flourished at the box office. They’ve reached their season-ticket sale limit in each of the past four seasons in becoming one of the NHL’s most stable small-market franchises.

In bordering Canada, Buffalo also draws a large amount of fans from southern Ontario."

Looks like Larry stopped at Premier on his way into the office today. I hope he didn't lift those cases of Jameson into JW's car himself.....given his heart condition and all.

"Quinn, who is from Buffalo, played a key role in getting Golisano to purchase the Sabres for $92 million out of bankruptcy in April 2003, and ensure their future in the city. Golisano is from nearby Rochester, but has relocated to Florida because he’s unhappy with high New York taxes.

Golisano has on several occasions indicated he’s open to adding partners or selling a majority stake of the team, so long as the Sabres remain in Buffalo.

Under Golisano, the Sabres have flourished at the box office. They’ve reached their season-ticket sale limit in each of the past four seasons in becoming one of the NHL’s most stable small-market franchises.

In bordering Canada, Buffalo also draws a large amount of fans from southern Ontario."

Looks like Larry stopped at Premier on his way into the office today. I hope he didn't lift those cases of Jameson into JW's car himself.....given his heart condition and all.

The Bulldog is farther up that dark place than Wawrow is. I learned that from my seven hours of listening to WGR today.

Bring it on and let him assess what he has running the team he will soon find out they are spineless and will put someone else in charge. Cya Larry, Darcy and Lindy :clapping:

I don't think it's a done deal about any of the three. As Ken Campbell wrote in his last update, Quinn is part owner, and he doesn't have to sell his share. Although, his roll i assume would be minimized if he remains a minority owner. As for Darcy and Ruff, Pegula must have an opinion on them already. If he's a big fan, he must share an opinion like we do. For Campbell to hint he may bring them back, makes me believe Campbell asked whom ever his source is, and one of the first things Pegula does is sign both to long term deals.

That part of Campbell's most recent story is too speculative. As is the sentence of Pegula's willingness to spend big money on free agents. And the blurb about Ruff and Regier you quoted.

A new owner, but no changes in the front office and coaching staff -- again!? Makes no sense.

I once had a new boss in my department, just for the sake of argument, we'll call him the anti-Christ. Everything was smooth sailing for 6 to 9 months -- maybe a year. But what he was doing during that time was taking notes on everybody in the department. However, when the stuff hit the fan -- it was freaking ugly. He cleaned house like nobody's business. Our department became known as the House of Pain.

I like how THN updated their report basically callin LQ a liar.

Is quinn a lawyer? I think he is -- and if he is, he can say the sun doesn't rise in the east and set in the west and have legitimate 15 arguments to support his claim.

Now for a total stab in the dark as to what the next step could be.......how about we raid Philadelphia and bring in Bill Barber and Don Luce to run this thing?

Pegula also seems to have some ties to the Pittsburgh hockey community. Wouldn't be surprised, or too disappointed, to see him cherry pick some bright young people from the Pens organization.

Before I start, let me say that I really think Tom G should be thanked for keeping the Sabres in Buffalo. Bbut now that that is over, I'm glad to see a hockey fan as a potential owner.

I'm listening to these bonehead announcers on WGR and keep thinking, they really don't have a freaking clue. I don't think I've ever listened to these guys and they are shockingly bad.

Just because the potential new owner is a hockey fan doesn't mean he's going to be an improvement over the current ownership.

Take a look at the Washington NFL franchise with the racist nickname.. The franchise is owned by Dan Snyder, who is a self-professed Redskins fan. In the 10 years that he's owned the team, he's screwed up as badly as the Bills' ownership. So dont think that a change has to be an improvement.

That said, I hope this new guy gets the team

Pegula also seems to have some ties to the Pittsburgh hockey community. Wouldn't be surprised, or too disappointed, to see him cherry pick some bright young people from the Pens organization.

Interesting observation. Wouldn't mind a little cherry picking there.

No -- from 15% to 20%.

You're right. 20% for long-term, which is the category the Sabres sale would be in. Short term is higher than I imagined, but seems to be counted the same as regular income. Looks like he stands to make a huge return on his investment if 150 million is a close estimate, so taxes will definitely be a top concern when the lawyers and accountants start going nuts on this. They probably already have been for weeks or months, which I guess is why we are hearing about it just before the end of the year.

Wiki on capital gains tax. Learn something new every day, but yes, the most boring stuff on the internet. Hockey is a little more exciting.

Archived