Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

I'm too excited for inuendo. Although a telling sign of the level of excitement here is that nobody touched chz's panties. That's an oxymoron in itself.

Ink...her name was Kerr.

Open letter to Mike Pegula....Terry's son. Mike, there is a 70% chance you read this. Whatever you do...please make sure your dad gets Larry Quinn as far away from this team as possible. Regier should go as well, but I will personally be counted in for season tickets again if Quinn is gone, and you will have the support of the community at large. Your dad sounds like he has his act together, so hopefully this is a moot point, but just in case you are a lurker....PLEASE...rid us of this cancer.

If this goes down, I will hand out candy in the streets of downtown.

Our best bet is that Quinn sees the overall impact of bringing Pegula back to Buffalo. Money like that trickles down, and considering Quinn has his grubby little hands in many projects, his position with the Sabres could be child's play when thinking of the overall economic impact to the city if Pegula takes hold here. I'm sure everyone from Roswell, the local colleges, etc., are licking their chops right now. When you are talking $4 billion of real money, that equates to $30 million a year in charity for the average honorable fella.

This deal almost has to get done at this point. The fans are shunning the team at the box office, and if they get toyed with as a negotiating ploy, only to see the same lackies in power....there will be an even bigger backlash.

And Dryden asked why some of us still post? For a day like today.......charge that hill and we have FREEDOM!!!!

Out of an unmarked white van, I presume.

Out of an unmarked white van, I presume.

Actually, robin's egg blue. Research says that robin's egg blue as a color projects both the trust and nurturing of motherhood, as well as the excitement and anticipation of a newly hatched generation about to arrive.

Trust, Nurturing, Anticipation, Excitement

The Drane traveling nest.......coming to a junior high near you.

Actually, robin's egg blue. Research says that robin's egg blue as a color projects both the trust and nurturing of motherhood, as well as the excitement and anticipation of a newly hatched generation about to arrive.

Trust, Nurturing, Anticipation, Excitement

The Drane traveling nest.......coming to a junior high near you.

Hmmmm - I would have thought your tastes tended towards pre-pubescents.

Sorry. You blew my mind with the idea that the Sabres would float the story.

I was reading the entrails of what all the stories have said so far and tried to connect the dots (yeah, I know, mixed metaphor). I threw that idea out to see what others thought.

According to Bucky, Pegula's interest picked up in recent weeks, (although an agreement did not appear imminent). That jibes with the item in the Boston newspaper from the other day, the guy who felt "vibes." -- so, it seems pretty safe to say they've been talking. But what have they been talking about?

My guess is they've been talking about price. The Hockey News story pulls this $150M number out of a hat, but where did it come from -- it had to come from somewhere. Maybe that's the number the two sides are stuck on.

Last year Forbes said the franchise is worth $170M. Maybe current ownership wants to see an offer closer to the Forbes estimate (although who knows how Forbes came up with that number and whether it accurately reflects the value of the franchise). Pegula says no can do at $170M and counters by saying his numbers-crunchers say it's worth $150M.

So now the Sabres are saying nobody's agreed to sell anything for $150M, the ball is back into Pegula's court, and they continue negotiations.

I know I didn't connect the dots, but maybe someone has seen or read something that I haven't.

P.S. - this story made me listen to WGR for the first time in who knows how long. I was stunned by just how bad Schopp and the Bulldog are.

Finally, the stars have come into alignment with this guy. It would be great for everyone if this went through. And, extra bonus is this guy doesn't look like he's that old. And, speculation that it could all be said and done by the end of next month. But, still a rumor and I won't count my chickens til they're hatched because it sounds just too good to be true.

I'm too excited for inuendo. Although a telling sign of the level of excitement here is that nobody touched chz's panties. That's an oxymoron in itself.

Ink...her name was Kerr.

Open letter to Mike Pegula....Terry's son. Mike, there is a 70% chance you read this. Whatever you do...please make sure your dad gets Larry Quinn as far away from this team as possible. Regier should go as well, but I will personally be counted in for season tickets again if Quinn is gone, and you will have the support of the community at large. Your dad sounds like he has his act together, so hopefully this is a moot point, but just in case you are a lurker....PLEASE...rid us of this cancer.

If this goes down, I will hand out candy in the streets of downtown.

Our best bet is that Quinn sees the overall impact of bringing Pegula back to Buffalo. Money like that trickles down, and considering Quinn has his grubby little hands in many projects, his position with the Sabres could be child's play when thinking of the overall economic impact to the city if Pegula takes hold here. I'm sure everyone from Roswell, the local colleges, etc., are licking their chops right now. When you are talking $4 billion of real money, that equates to $30 million a year in charity for the average honorable fella.

This deal almost has to get done at this point. The fans are shunning the team at the box office, and if they get toyed with as a negotiating ploy, only to see the same lackies in power....there will be an even bigger backlash.

And Dryden asked why some of us still post? For a day like today.......charge that hill and we have FREEDOM!!!!

I love the tone of the post, but if by some chance this does go through, it's still not that day you're describing. I won't go so far as to say that the day would be when they win a cup, but he would actually have to make some changes after buying the team before I'm going to start giving this guy any credit.

Then there's another side of things. How many times have you seen someone step in with guns ablaze, only to realize that either their approach isn't working, or it is having a worse impact on the wallet than they ever expected? Like I said, I'm going to hold off on the savior label for now. That label was applied to Golisano at one point too (and in a way, he does deserve it).

But yes, sending Quinn packing would be one hell of a first step.

"...Golisano has sold a small part of his interest in the team to managing partner Larry Quinn and chief operating officer Dan DiPofi and the source said Pegula will likely pick up their portions of the team as well. However, there’s a good chance both Quinn and DiPofi will remain in their current positions with the organization. Should the three sell for a total of about $150 million, they would all stand to make a very handsome profit on the deal."

Say it ain't so! :(

http://www.thehockey...abres-sale.html

more info: Pegula to be introduced to owners dec 6

If he really is introduced to the other owners next week, that is a pretty good indicator that the deal is going to happen.

Wow, the Hockey News writer was on GR this morning and they are replaying the interview now. He's saying the whole deal could be wrapped up by the end of the year. That's four weeks from now. That doesn't smell right at all.

Someone raised this already, but capital gains tax rates are going up by 5% on January 1. 5% of $150MM is $7.5MM -- which is a lot of cash to throw away just by not getting a deal done in time. Assuming this is a cash deal, as long as the owners approve, there is no reason it can't be done by 12/31.

"...Golisano has sold a small part of his interest in the team to managing partner Larry Quinn and chief operating officer Dan DiPofi and the source said Pegula will likely pick up their portions of the team as well. However, there’s a good chance both Quinn and DiPofi will remain in their current positions with the organization. Should the three sell for a total of about $150 million, they would all stand to make a very handsome profit on the deal."

Say it ain't so! :(

Quinn not getting canned doesn't mean he still gets to meddle in hockey decisions. It could easily mean the new guy just wants to facilitate the deal at low cost by keeping LQ on salary and as part of the organization so LQ can continue to be a BSD around town.

As for DiPofi, has he done any harm to the team?

The article also says:

If and when Pegula takes control of the team, it would probably be in his best interests to get the contract situations of both Regier and coach Lindy Ruff cleared up. Both men are among the best in the league at what they do and given the resources, would undoubtedly be able to get the Sabres back to contender status in a reasonable amount of time. The contracts for both men expire at the end of this season.

Wow, the Hockey News writer was on GR this morning and they are replaying the interview now. He's saying the whole deal could be wrapped up by the end of the year. That's four weeks from now. That doesn't smell right at all.

Four to six weeks certainly sounds like a fast-track project and -- agreed -- seems unlikely to happen so quickly. Unless of course, (insert wishful thinking emoticon here) things are much further along than we think.

They reported today that Pegula was interested today and signed a letter of intent. Who knows when they started talking? Two weeks ago? Two months ago?

Quinn not getting canned doesn't mean he still gets to meddle in hockey decisions. It could easily mean the new guy just wants to facilitate the deal at low cost by keeping LQ on salary and as part of the organization so LQ can continue to be a BSD around town.

That part of Campbell's most recent story is too speculative. As is the sentence of Pegula's willingness to spend big money on free agents. And the blurb about Ruff and Regier you quoted.

A new owner, but no changes in the front office and coaching staff -- again!? Makes no sense.

I love the tone of the post, but if by some chance this does go through, it's still not that day you're describing. I won't go so far as to say that the day would be when they win a cup, but he would actually have to make some changes after buying the team before I'm going to start giving this guy any credit.

Then there's another side of things. How many times have you seen someone step in with guns ablaze, only to realize that either their approach isn't working, or it is having a worse impact on the wallet than they ever expected? Like I said, I'm going to hold off on the savior label for now. That label was applied to Golisano at one point too (and in a way, he does deserve it).

But yes, sending Quinn packing would be one hell of a first step.

Understood. I think a deal is being hurried for the end of this year. If that is the case, I can see status quo for a few months of transition. Even if Pegula gets caught keeping the stooges for now, if he is the hockey fan he says he is....his threshold for pain with the same old that isn't working should hopefully be low now that he is writing the checks.

Also....Pegula is REAL MONEY. Golisano is a paper tiger. Golisano's net worth borders around $1 billion, but his main asset is a service company that has no assets of it's own on the books. If something went bad at Paychex, he could lose half his value in the blink of an eye.

Pagula did his time. Built from scratch and sold out. He is liquid and needs places to park his cash. Not only is he a candidate for the Sabres, but makes tons more sense as a partner on a Bills effort in the longrun.

Also.....where is Tom Webster in all of this? Something tells me he may add some color to the conversation.

Understood. I think a deal is being hurried for the end of this year. If that is the case, I can see status quo for a few months of transition. Even if Pegula gets caught keeping the stooges for now, if he is the hockey fan he says he is....his threshold for pain with the same old that isn't working should hopefully be low now that he is writing the checks.

Also....Pegula is REAL MONEY. Golisano is a paper tiger. Golisano's net worth borders around $1 billion, but his main asset is a service company that has no assets of it's own on the books. If something went bad at Paychex, he could lose half his value in the blink of an eye.

Pagula did his time. Built from scratch and sold out. He is liquid and needs places to park his cash. Not only is he a candidate for the Sabres, but makes tons more sense as a partner on a Bills effort in the longrun.

Also.....where is Tom Webster in all of this? Something tells me he may add some color to the conversation.

And Pegula still owns the rights to 350,000 acres of Marcellus shale land! It's interesting to note the regulatory atmosphere difference between PA and NY regarding Marcellus Shale drilling. Ironic, maybe.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much of anything this year. It could be done, but it's much easier to really get your hands into things in the offseason.

And Pegula still owns the rights to 350,000 acres of Marcellus shale land! It's interesting to note the regulatory atmosphere difference between PA and NY regarding Marcellus Shale drilling. Ironic, maybe.

Isn't this what happened in the basement in Pulp Fiction? So typical of NYS to over-regulate what happens in private between adults.

These were my cynical thoughts the whole day - build up some good will with the people with the Sabres so we'll go easy on him when he trashes drinking water and clearcuts Allegheny State Park.

Archived