(OT) MIDDLE SCHOOL football trick play

PASabreFan

Here's my favorite part of it: let's say a DE was onto the trick, grabbed the QB, tackled him hard, and the QB got hurt.

Do we then have a disingenuous coach saying that the QB was only trying to ask a question of the umpire?

Horrible, horrible call. Crappy sportsmanship, and they put the health of a kid at risk.

Another thread where we get to call little kids doosh bags! Yes!!

(btw...this one is obviously totally on the coach)

Line 'em up and play it straight, WTF is the point of doing that play. Just teaching the kids to bend or skirt the rules. Nice job coach doosh.

Another thread where we get to call little kids doosh bags! Yes!!

(btw...this one is obviously totally on the coach)

Line 'em up and play it straight, WTF is the point of doing that play. Just teaching the kids to bend or skirt the rules. Nice job coach doosh.

I would never advocate calling that kid a d-bag. The coach is fair game.

as you may have also seen, PA, that play doesn't always work out so well (turn down your speakers -- or up, if you're ink).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbAP-K28J8

in the clip above, the QB was pulling the more traditional "hey, coach, it's the wrong ball" ploy (and looking to make a dash up the sideline). the original video above had something of a twist on the play with the QB walking right through the line.

i would never advocate running such a play at that level, and wouldn't be pleased if i had a kid on either of those teams.

then again, i understand it was middle school football in texas -- there's an argument to be made that that's taken as or more seriously as college mid-major football (where i would have no problem with the play being called ... and blown the funk up).

Some coach pulls one over on a bunch of 10th graders, if that. D-bag.

Did some research, you can't do this in High School football, it's against NFHS rules, "Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and a snap is not imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal."

Did some research, you can't do this in High School football, it's against NFHS rules, "Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and a snap is not imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal."

interesting - they apparently created that rule as a specific response to this "wrong ball" trick.

that tends to change things. if a governing council of a league that is senior to the ones shown in this thread has come down against the play -- saying it's cheap and too cute by half -- then it's super sh!tty of the middle school coach to have run the play.

I don't have a clue when in the games those happened, but I want to take a slightly different stand on this one. If you run something like that in the middle of a game just for a little fun, I can see some value there.

Also, is it really that surprising? When someone like Derek Jeter, the role model of role models, pretends to get hit by a pitch this season, and even the opposing manager says,"If our guys had did it, I would have applauded that. It's a great peformance on his part,..." Are we really that surprised when kids take steroids or this football play happens? Most atheletes embrace cheating (if they can get away with it) because winning is all that matters to them. I don't agree, but who cares what I think?

I just always find it a little funny when all the outrage comes out whenever some arbitrary cheating line is crossed.

[/soapbox]

Bunch of wet blankets in here.

If you can pull it off more power to you. If you can't you get lit up and you deserve.

It's football, not patty cake. Call me when some lineman tries to fish hook half of some kid's cheek off. Then I'll maybe care.

You didn't watch it, did you? 'Cause that was patty-cake, and not football.

You didn't watch it, did you? 'Cause that was patty-cake, and not football.

Watched it yesterday on yahoo. It's like doing the hidden ball trick in LL. (which I used to do all the time) Kids have fun with stuff like that. They have fun trying to be all tricky. At the same time, you take a risk. It's called gamesmanship. Really sportsmanship is knowing you got bested and just taking it.

Here's my problem with this play and plays like it. Let's assume the defense does what they should do and destroys the kid QB. You could see even in the clip above, as soon as the QB got wrecked the RB took two steps after the LB to defend the QB until he remembered that the LB was right. Extrapolate that out a little bit, let's say the QB gets hurt on that play or the LB in question was a little bit bigger and really smacked the kid. Then let's say the QB's PARENTS are a little unstable start going nuts (because that never happens at youth athletic events) and go after the LB or the LBs parents. The jackass offensive coach puts the LB and his family into a bad position by trying to be cute.

There are enough incidents at youth sports without putting kids into positions like this where you are INSTRUCTING the QB not to defend himself properly and basically offer himself up to the defense. Just play the game.

FWIW - good for the LB for watching trick plays on YouTube - he'd obviously seen that before as he beelined for the QB immediately.

So you're saying that if the QB got hurt, and his parents went after someone to physically assault them, it would be the coaches fault??

That's a reach...

So you're saying that if the QB got hurt, and his parents went after someone to physically assault them, it would be the coaches fault??

That's a reach...

That is a reach. Let's stop with the QB getting hurt (remember, he's about 12 years old). That would be the coach's fault. And that's not a reach at all.

That is a reach. Let's stop with the QB getting hurt (remember, he's about 12 years old). That would be the coach's fault. And that's not a reach at all.

Agree 100%.

This isn't some play they drew up during a timeout either. If the QB's parents are involved in their child's life in ANY way, I'd venture to guess they were well aware of the possibility of this play happening.

Are you referring to Turner Gill's fake fumble in the Orange Bowl? That's not even close to this!

But it was an amazing act of trickery.

And more.. Tom was always pulling stunts.. Like the Fumble-rooski.. Any coach who has the stones to call something like that is okay in my book.

I agree. I'd like to see the figure skating trick play from the Mighty Duck movie used more. :D

Speaking of that, are there really any trick plays in hockey? Lindy said the other day after all these years he still sees things he never could have anticipated (except a team scoring a power play goal -- daYUMM).

How about this? A player receives a hard pass, say on the power play along the wall or in the corner. Cleverly shielding the puck with his stick, he looks around quizzically, glances up and motions toward the mesh as if to indicate the puck went out of play. When some of the defense rests, bango, bingo, ploppo, Vanek shovels one into the goalie's pads.

Yeah, before it didn't work, it wouldn't work.

Come on, you deviants. Ideas?

Speaking of that, are there really any trick plays in hockey? Lindy said the other day after all these years he still sees things he never could have anticipated (except a team scoring a power play goal -- daYUMM).

How about this? A player receives a hard pass, say on the power play along the wall or in the corner. Cleverly shielding the puck with his stick, he looks around quizzically, glances up and motions toward the mesh as if to indicate the puck went out of play. When some of the defense rests, bango, bingo, ploppo, Vanek shovels one into the goalie's pads.

Yeah, before it didn't work, it wouldn't work.

Come on, you deviants. Ideas?

I forget who it was, but one of the college teams pulled off a nice one in recent years. They setup a breakaway off a center ice faceoff. They had one guy on the ice relatively close to the bench who quickly was replaced by a guy coming off the other end of the bench, closer to the net.

I forget who it was, but one of the college teams pulled off a nice one in recent years. They setup a breakaway off a center ice faceoff. They had one guy on the ice relatively close to the bench who quickly was replaced by a guy coming off the other end of the bench, closer to the net.

That's cool.

What about a second puck in the pants?

Archived