11/5: This team VERY unlikely to make playoffs

Meathead

That makes no sense. At least PA's math is a good estimate.

None of this matters. No team "keeps the pace" for a whole season, whether that be a good pace, or a bad pace. (Well, maybe expansion teams can keep up a bad pace.)

Does it look great right now? Hell, no. But is 4 points in 66 games--this puts them clear of tiebreakers, by the way--insurmountable? Hell, no.

I'd have to say tonight is a pretty important game seeing they are playing a team they have to pass in standings. They have to beat this team and they have to win at home.

I'd have to say tonight is a pretty important game seeing they are playing a team they have to pass in standings. They have to beat this team and they have to win at home.

(1) probably, but if they lose, it isn't off, and (2) hell, yes they do. that home loss ###### is getting annoying, to say the very, very least.

They only have 63 games to make up 1 point. Clearly, this is impossible.

i hope they build on it though and not just sit. The top line is playing great. Bottom two are doing their thing. PK looks strong, and the defense without Rivet looks better and better, with a very great surprise this year from Monty and Sekera who are getting stronger by the game.

The second line is a massive weak spot and the PP needs to be fixed. They will have Stafford and Gerbe return soon but are they what we need? Or time to look outside organization to find someone to give us a spark on the second line.

Well, it's starting to look like the Sabres' playoff hopes are once again quite alive. That should make everyone whose only hope for the team is a playoff berth very happy.

Yeah, those folks who want a Cup are probably pretty disappointed. What the hell does the above even mean?

So I'm confused. Was the original math posted in this thread total bull? Because when I looked at the standings there was now way it looked that impossible to make it, and now?? Well, we are right there.

The orignal math was correct - the original math didnt project us going 4-0-1 over our last five games.

Thank goodness for the Maple Leafs

The orignal math was correct - the original math didnt project us going 4-0-1 over our last five games.

Thank goodness for the Maple Leafs

The original math is also premised upon a pace that the 8th place teams aren't keeping this year.

Yeah, those folks who want a Cup are probably pretty disappointed. What the hell does the above even mean?

You beat me to the quote. Some ppl must have pretty depressing lives if their favourite hockey team can go 4-0-1 over the past five and they still have something negative to say. Unless there are alot of trolls on this message board....

The original math is also premised upon a pace that the 8th place teams aren't keeping this year.

I think towards the end of the season 8th place picks up steam as teams get into those do-or-die situations and win more games.

(I think this was discussed last year with visual aids (charts))

Well, it's starting to look like the Sabres' playoff hopes are once again quite alive. That should make everyone whose only hope for the team is a playoff berth very happy.

I think it means that the Sabres are winning, which is great, but the two really good teams that they beat are high flying open ice teams, ones that they have historically done alright against. The basic makeup of the team, though, is exactly the same and we'll need to see how they match up against more bruising teams like Boston, Philly, and even Pittsburgh to see how they are going to fare going into the playoffs.

I think at current pace in the East the mark is at 88 pts. At least that's what I thought I heard, but it sounds about right.

It's too early and you can make the numbers jump through hoops. The Sabres are one point out of a playoff spot but on pace for only 73 points. Tampa Bay, sitting in eighth, is on pace for 87.

It's too early and you can make the numbers jump through hoops. The Sabres are one point out of a playoff spot but on pace for only 73 points. Tampa Bay, sitting in eighth, is on pace for 87.

I was thinking East vs. West mostly.

It is looking like 8th the East it will be under 90.

The West might be over 95.

Very early, but just trying to put hopes in perspective.

Do you think this is going to be a season where a team with 75 points makes the playoffs?

I was thinking East vs. West mostly.

It is looking like 8th the East it will be under 90.

The West might be over 95.

Very early, but just trying to put hopes in perspective.

A few days ago, when Boston was in eighth with a .500 record (points / available points), 82 points was playoff pace. It is too early.

I think it means that the Sabres are winning, which is great, but the two really good teams that they beat are high flying open ice teams, ones that they have historically done alright against. The basic makeup of the team, though, is exactly the same and we'll need to see how they match up against more bruising teams like Boston, Philly, and even Pittsburgh to see how they are going to fare going into the playoffs.

Really? I didn't get all that from the post.

Really? I didn't get all that from the post.

Knowing chimp from other forums I think I can safely say that "The basic makeup of the team, though, is exactly the same" is the point chimp was making. What is it exactly the same as? It is exactly the same as all the other Sabres teams that have flirted with some success but never really was a serious contender for real glory.

Some folks are tired of watching other teams win the big prizes all the time while watching their favorite team judge success or failure against a lower benchmark. I am pretty much with chimp on this one.

Archived