11/5: This team VERY unlikely to make playoffs

Meathead

the average 2009 record of the two 8th place teams to make the playoffs was 41 31 10

these sabres are 3 9 2, meaning they would have to go at least 38 22 8 the rest of the season just to get approximately the 8th playoff spot

that is a w/l rate of the most dominating teams in the league. the likelihood that this squad will go from dead last to one of the top two/three teams in the conference is very unlikely

wow. fourteen games in and the season is pretty much already over. did not see that coming

They need to win almost 3 out of every 5 for the rest of the season for a realistic shot at the playoffs. That's a tall order considering the President's Trophy winning team last season did only a little better than that.

At this point they need to keep pace with the hottest teams in the league from here on out. Yeah, it's been done before but I don't have a good feeling about it happening here.

i saw the effort tonight but no one on this team seems capable of elevating their play when it matters most

Maybe Tallinder, or Lydman,or Drury,or Briere, or Spacek or Tiny Tim Kennedy could help? Better yet Max and Torres are still within reach.

the average 2009 record of the two 8th place teams to make the playoffs was 41 31 10

these sabres are 3 9 2, meaning they would have to go at least 38 22 8 the rest of the season just to get approximately the 8th playoff spot

that is a w/l rate of the most dominating teams in the league. the likelihood that this squad will go from dead last to one of the top two/three teams in the conference is very unlikely

wow. fourteen games in and the season is pretty much already over. did not see that coming

Dude, it's not even Thanksgiving yet, and you're saying they won't make the playoffs? I don't buy it.

Several years ago Ottawa started very slow and made the playoffs. Carolina when they won the Cup started very slow too.

Also, from Jan 23rd until March 3rd last season, Sabres were 3-8-2 and yet still finished division champions.

The road to the playoffs will be hard and they will need to avoid major slumps during the season but to say they are done because of a poor start is way too silly. They play two easy games this week before playing 8 tough ones. After the 10 games, let's check out the standings and see how far down we are....

Carolina when they won the Cup started very slow too.

While I also agree the Sabres and the playoffs is not entirely impossible, your statement about Carolina is not even remotely true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Carolina_Hurricanes_season

14-3-1 is not what I'd call a slow start. As I recall, they were either first or second in the conference all year.

While I also agree the Sabres and the playoffs is not entirely impossible, your statement about Carolina is not even remotely true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Carolina_Hurricanes_season

14-3-1 is not what I'd call a slow start. As I recall, they were either first or second in the conference all year.

Not sure what i was thinking.... i could have swore they struggled for a while until they benched Gerber for Ward. Guess not. lol

If they win tonight they are only one point out of eighth spot. Right now they are just three back. It's not as gloomy as it seems, actually

Didn't they have an even worse start in 1998-1999? I'd love to be able to go back and look at what people wrote then...

Is it a coincidence that they have won both games since Matt Eliis got called up?

They had a great start in 98-99 and tailed way off, didn't recover until Darcy made some fantastic trades just before and at the deadline.

You might be thinking about Lindy's first year before Dom's December of Shutouts, or 99-00, the Cup final hangover start.

P.S. Here's an amazing stat that pretty much sums up the Hasek era. In December of 1997, when Hasek recorded a shutout, the Sabres were 6-0. When he didn't -- 1-7-1. lol

They had a great start in 98-99 and tailed way off, didn't recover until Darcy made some fantastic trades just before and at the deadline.

You might be thinking about Lindy's first year before Dom's December of Shutouts, or 99-00, the Cup final hangover start.

P.S. Here's an amazing stat that pretty much sums up the Hasek era. In December of 1997, when Hasek recorded a shutout, the Sabres were 6-0. When he didn't -- 1-7-1. lol

I was talking with a buddy of mine last night about the last play Hasek had in Buffalo. It was the OT goal by Kasperitus and how Hasket just slumped down and left the ice never to play for Buffalo again. Do you think he was thinking "I'm so out of here!" at that moment? It's sad they never put a team around him good enough to win it. Best player in Sabres history, and probably the most boring era in Sabres history. Too many 1-0 games. I wish LaFontain could have played on the same team at the same time throughout those years. We would have won three Stanley Cups

Dude, they're on a 62-point pace.

They were on a 164 point pace at one point. My point is, it's not like the teams ahead of them are setting the world on fire. An 82-point pace is a playoff spot right now. 66 games to make up 4 points is hardly hopeless.

They were on a 164 point pace at one point. My point is, it's not like the teams ahead of them are setting the world on fire. An 82-point pace is a playoff spot right now. 66 games to make up 4 points is hardly hopeless.

Good that the East stinks this year

Sabres are only a couple games out of 8th.

If they were in the West they would be buried.

Watching NFL On The Fly today they said that the Sabres are on a projected finish of 46 points and the Devils 45 if they keep up the pace.. Ouch..

That makes no sense. At least PA's math is a good estimate.

None of this matters. No team "keeps the pace" for a whole season, whether that be a good pace, or a bad pace. (Well, maybe expansion teams can keep up a bad pace.)

Does it look great right now? Hell, no. But is 4 points in 66 games--this puts them clear of tiebreakers, by the way--insurmountable? Hell, no.

Archived