(OT) Favorite comfort food

PASabreFan

Weather's getting cooler and damper, darkness is coming sooner, I don't have to mention where the respective sports teams' seasons are heading.

What do you HAVE to have once in a while to make you forget the Sabres and Bills?

I have plenty of favorites, as my waistline and pre-diabetic blood sugars can attest. But one thing I crave, and can never say no to, is a giant bowl of white rice -- the instant kind, preferably -- heavily salted and peppered, with three or four big tabs of butter, real butter.

You?

Just say Cheese please probably was a rat in a past life. Cheddar with beer but also the nasty stanky kind like fresh blue cheese or gorganzola and even the occasional limburger on fresh rye with a nice fat fresh slice of onion. HHHmmmmm

Just say Cheese please probably was a rat in a past life. Cheddar with beer but also the nasty stanky kind like fresh blue cheese or gorganzola and even the occasional limburger on fresh rye with a nice fat fresh slice of onion. HHHmmmmm

Dude same here. I love cheese. The smellier or stronger the better. I love black diamond five year cheddar and Limburger. Various goudas and buffalo wing cheese us great too. Wash it all down with a German hefeweissen or a Rorhbachs vanilla porter. Glaughhhhhhh...

Chip dip. French onion chip dip with large, rippled potato chips. I only buy it twice a year because I can get really carried away and eat it all myself...and it's terribly unhealthy.

and pizza...pizza is a great comfort food. All that melted cheese and spicy pepperoni and fresh vegetable toppings...mmmmmmm

PA...I am a rice lover too, and used to only love instant. Please, get yourself a rice cooker (under $20) and buy yourself some Basmati. Amazing. Yes to the salt and pepper and butter! I got hooked and never went back to minute.

Comfort food has so many meanings to me....but if we mean something easy to make for a winter night:

Chili Cheese Dip (canned chili, cream cheese and shredded Mex), homeade mac n' cheese, trail mix (featuring almonds, raisins, cashews and m&m's) and crockpot stew (Guinness Beef)

Dude same here. I love cheese. The smellier or stronger the better. I love black diamond five year cheddar and Limburger. Various goudas and buffalo wing cheese us great too. Wash it all down with a Flying Bison or Rohrbach's Scotch Ale. Glaughhhhhhh...

Fixed for me.

I really wish we had FB in roch. Or the home-brews from Pearl St Grill. Love the Streetbrawler.

How is it that you don't? Seriously, sometimes, it's like Rochester is in a different freaking country, instead of a 50-minute drive.

I really wish we had FB in roch. Or the home-brews from Pearl St Grill. Love the Streetbrawler.

How is it that you don't? Seriously, sometimes, it's like Rochester is in a different freaking country, instead of a 50-minute drive.

He had some pretty crappy distributor problems. Now that FB is owned by Matt's (Saranac) hopefully the distribution issue will get settled. He's only started bottling again recently after being closed for awhile while the sale worked through the red tape.

I'm in Genesee county and I can't get his stuff either unless I haul myself up to the brewery.

I'm sitting down right now with a plate of horse radish cheese and water crackers. A little she she fru fru but it's good ######.

Well, comfort yourself in the fact that no true SGM would have horseradish cheese. It would be some legit stuff imported from Copenhagen or Strasbourg or something.

The water crackers, well, you'll have to live with yourself on that.

Best. Thread. Ever.

I get a sense of pride (as unfounded as it may be) when I read that not only do people like Rye and Limburger w/ a slice of onion, but that they even know what it is.

I copied the Bison dip recipe and make my own now, with cayenne pepper. That and a bag of ruffled chips can get me through almost anything. I'm also down with a jar of peanuts. Beer is a given,.. any kind but Bud and Coors light.

Bourbon.

Oh. You meant FOOD, food. A cheeseburger. With bourbon. Or my mother's sauce, over some good pasta.

Just curious but does your mom use bourbon in her sauce?

if we're talking comfort food for a meal at day's end, i am going with the salisbury steak that my girl makes in a crockpot and serves over egg noodles. she prepares enough for the entire family, but i could eat the whole frickin' thing.

if we're talking something that you grab out of the fridge/pantry on a craving basis because your reptilian stem is demanding it, then it's doritos, and it ain't even close.

even the occasional limburger on fresh rye with a nice fat fresh slice of onion.
I get a sense of pride (as unfounded as it may be) when I read that not only do people like Rye and Limburger w/ a slice of onion, but that they even know what it is.

i was introduced to this combo a couple of years ago -- holy moses is that something else. it's such a mystery to me how that specific combination (i use pumpernickel and red onion) creates a razor-thin line between "ahhkk, this is disgusting!" and "woah, this is amazing!" one thing i will add: my wife won't even come near me for at least a day after i hit that beer-drinker's delight.

Archived