Pommers? Cody?

spndnchz

I guess it's good to be deep with players. tehe.

Pommers might be back for this weekends games. I've really liked Cody playing with Connolly and Hecht. Gives a nice physical addition to that line.

When Pommers gets back do you move Cody down again? Then who sits? Ennis? Gerbe? Kaleta?

My choice would prolly be Kaleta at this point.

Was he advertised to be Kaleta-like?

I am liking his game more and more. He still should be the odd man out.

I've also grown to like Gerbe. I find his effort to be exceptional and his aggression on the forecheck is nice. And this comment about him falling down a lot is absurd. He's no worse than any other player on this team. If anything his being bumped around is related to the fact that he takes on anyone and he does it with all his strength. If players on this team played as big as Gerbe does, no one would take us in one on one battles.

Def Gerbe. Didn't even think it was a question? He's been horrible.

For Gerbe to be successful, he needs to be a spark on the ice, needs to attack, keep his feet moving, create PPs and get scoring chances.... he's done pretty much none of that in most shifts.

I would even say, once Pommer comes back, Gerbe will be on the first bus to Portland.

Def Gerbe. Didn't even think it was a question? He's been horrible.

For Gerbe to be successful, he needs to be a spark on the ice, needs to attack, keep his feet moving, create PPs and get scoring chances.... he's done pretty much none of that in most shifts.

I would even say, once Pommer comes back, Gerbe will be on the first bus to Portland.

I agree that it will Gerbe and disagree that he's been horrible. I just think he's odd man out.

As for Portland, why would they send him down now if they didn't do so at the start of the season?

I agree that it will Gerbe and disagree that he's been horrible. I just think he's odd man out.

As for Portland, why would they send him down now if they didn't do so at the start of the season?

Because there was no certainty if the lineup they had was going to play well, like McCormick, for example. And, he had a great training camp. But, now that he was given big time chances, he's fallen flat on his face and shown Sabres he is not ready and needs more playing time. Sitting won't do a guy any good when he's not ready now.

For a guy who has to score to stay in the league, 0 goals, 1 assist in 7 games, is just not going to do it, essp since he's gotten time on the top 6 and on the PP. Few games, including loss to Ottawa, he was bad, and sat in long bunches. I think he played like 10 minutes that game, besides Kaleta, that was the least of anyone from the Sabres. Maybe horrible is a harsh word, but, whatever the word is i'm looking for, it's def not good or decent, thats for sure.

Has kaleta even drawn a penalty this year yet? And even if he did, it's not like the team converts on the PP.

Amen. Every team is on to him. And the PP, well, you said it. He is the least skilled and the least useful. So, well, have a seat, Pat.

I've also grown to like Gerbe. I find his effort to be exceptional and his aggression on the forecheck is nice. And this comment about him falling down a lot is absurd. He's no worse than any other player on this team. If anything his being bumped around is related to the fact that he takes on anyone and he does it with all his strength. If players on this team played as big as Gerbe does, no one would take us in one on one battles.

Me too. If anyone should sit it should be Stafford

Me too. If anyone should sit it should be Stafford

Why? Because you dislike him from the past? Stafford has scored in 6 of his last 8 games, and 3 out of 4. Second of the team with shots on goal and top forward in plus/minus with +5. Also leads all top 6 forwards with hits.

Stafford is playing well. Stats don't lie. Don't hate on the guy because he's sucked in the past.

Why? Because you dislike him from the past? Stafford has scored in 6 of his last 8 games, and 3 out of 4. Second of the team with shots on goal and top forward in plus/minus with +5. Also leads all top 6 forwards with hits.

Stafford is playing well. Stats don't lie. Don't hate on the guy because he's sucked in the past.

Maybe I'm wrong, hope I am. The shots stat is good and important, but not the plus minus, IMO. We shall see. I do hope he comes through

Thing is, no, he isn't playing well. He's been lucky, or as more cynical folks would say, opportunistic, but he has not played well. I'll take your word for it on the hits, but I'll say that's because (1) Pom is out and (2) the other 5 need to freaking hit. Stafford does not hit. He does not do anything unless the puck is right on his stick. He'll barely reach out to grab a pass.

And I am trying to put his past behind him--you'll notice that I haven't bitched as much about TC as in past years--but he's repeating his past, so I'm repeating my remarks.

I don't agree with the hate on Gerbe or Stafford. Seems to me that when Vanek and Connolly weren't scoring until the last few games, and at the same time Myers, Grier, and Hecht were royally stinking it up on the ice, both Gerbe and Stafford were out there making an effort, along with Ennis and Roy.

Hopefully the other five slackers have finally caught up and the Sabres can start getting some points.

Seriously, if someone has to sit and it's based on performance, I would sit Connolly, Grier or Rivet (if he's healthy), or maybe Morrisonn or even Myers. Those guys have been sucking hard - I would say it has been Connolly who has been the lucky one with his goals, not Stafford.

I do agree, though, that Stafford still doesn't seem as physical as he can or should be, but so far he's playing the contract-year-player role pretty well.

I guess it's good to be deep with players. tehe.

Pommers might be back for this weekends games. I've really liked Cody playing with Connolly and Hecht. Gives a nice physical addition to that line.

When Pommers gets back do you move Cody down again? Then who sits? Ennis? Gerbe? Kaleta?

My choice would prolly be Kaleta at this point.

So here we are today and the question still doesn't need to be answered because Pommer cant pass the baseline test to come back. That doesn't surprise me seeing the bash he took. I was rather surprised at how fast he has moved along actually. Looking at how his head was smashed and the fact he was lights out immediately and before hitting the ice I expected him to be gone for months not weeks.

Anyway I guess even after a few more games I see your point with Kaleta but I still see Gerbe as being the one contributing the least. Although Kaleta seems to be playing like he's concussed I think he has listened to Lindy or someone who's telling him he can be a better hockey player than he is and as a result, he is staying away from some crash and burn stuff.

By the way my two cents on him is he is nothing if he wont crash and burn so I wouldn't be against him being the one to sit.

Archived