Sabres still missing one opportunity to distract fans

carpandean

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=338280

24 NHL teams now have cheerleaders with Edmonton being the newest. How is it possible that the Sabres are in the small minority on this one. They're cheap and "enhance the game experience."

Note: I'm not really advocating for this; just really surprised that they are one of only 6 teams that haven't done this yet.

24 NHL teams now have cheerleaders with Edmonton being the newest. How is it possible that the Sabres are in the small minority on this one. They're cheap and "enhance the game experience."

Note: I'm not really advocating for this; just really surprised that they are one of only 6 teams that haven't done this yet.

Be happy.

Maybe they are afraid the girls they pick for cheerleaders will be tougher than the pansies they let wear the uniforms.

Straight male here.

I have some unexplainable dissonance with adding cheerleaders to hockey. Something along the lines of, "you can't play in this league, ladies, but you can wear skimpy outfits and push shovels around." It's not even cheer leading. Seriously, just get the most qualified shovel-pusher and have them fix the ice. Or if skill isn't a factor, let peewees do it. Or fat guys in funny mascot costumes (how about a herd of Buffalo scraping the ice in a stampede?).

[i know women are not banned from playing.]

Or fat guys in funny mascot costumes (how about a herd of Buffalo scraping the ice in a stampede?).

holy moly - what a fantastic idea.

like the butcher on skates.

How about getting some old time Sabres players to do this - I'm sure there are a bunch that could use the paycheck.

this one made me laugh as well -- actually a good outside-the-box idea.

Straight male here.

I have some unexplainable dissonance with adding cheerleaders to hockey. Something along the lines of, "you can't play in this league, ladies, but you can wear skimpy outfits and push shovels around." It's not even cheer leading. Seriously, just get the most qualified shovel-pusher and have them fix the ice. Or if skill isn't a factor, let peewees do it. Or fat guys in funny mascot costumes (how about a herd of Buffalo scraping the ice in a stampede?).

[i know women are not banned from playing.]

I agree. Hot chicks in skimpy outfits can be fun eye candy, but at a hockey game I don't see the point... I just picture myself getting annoyed that they are blocking my view of the game, lol. Love the costume/mascot idea. :thumbsup:

Am I the only one who remembers that in the last few years of the Aud they did have a Sabres dance squad that would dance in the aisles during stoppages in play.

I'm sure the old blue spandex outfits are somewhere in HSBC Arena right now. Time to bust them out. After all, it's the 40th anniversary. (And it makes more sense than yellow nameplates on a blue jersey too.)

Anyone here remember the first season in '70 when a lady in a skimpy dress would come out skating during the Sabre dance song, skate around the rink and throw a sabre in to the net? Fans loved it. (I know, I'm old......)

They did that at the end of Golisano's first season as owner (when they surprised everyone by wearing the old home jerseys too). It was confusing as hell to the people who didn't know the tradition, but it was awesome for anyone who remembered it or had heard something about it. And, yeah, the fans loved it that time too.

Hockey actually could use some more weird crap like that. It's supposed to be fun.

They did that at the end of Golisano's first season as owner (when they surprised everyone by wearing the old home jerseys too). It was confusing as hell to the people who didn't know the tradition, but it was awesome for anyone who remembered it or had heard something about it. And, yeah, the fans loved it that time too.

Hockey actually could use some more weird crap like that. It's supposed to be fun.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

HSBC needs one of those indoor blimps.

They had one a few years ago. Would drop stuff from the blimp during intermissions. I think the majority of this stuff lacks sponsorship. Even a few of the dasher boards this year do not have full time sponsors. If you notice, the one by the bench is actually magnetic or vinyl that changes every period.

They had one a few years ago. Would drop stuff from the blimp during intermissions. I think the majority of this stuff lacks sponsorship. Even a few of the dasher boards this year do not have full time sponsors. If you notice, the one by the bench is actually magnetic or vinyl that changes every period.

They still have one. It's sponsored by Butterwood Desserts and it drops coupons during intermissions.

Archived