Portland Pirates News

wildcat48

Wow. Darcy seems to know how to build a team...that can't convert on the PP.

Right, cos Darcy coaches the PP units on both the Sabres and Pirates. No wonder the man has no time scouting players, especially since he's busy shuttling between Buffalo and Portland.

The difference between an abysmal PP and a decent PP is in the coaching.

The difference between a decent PP and all-star PP is in the talent.

Right, cos Darcy coaches the PP units on both the Sabres and Pirates. No wonder the man has no time scouting players, especially since he's busy shuttling between Buffalo and Portland.

The difference between an abysmal PP and a decent PP is in the coaching.

The difference between a decent PP and all-star PP is in the talent.

Then explain why Pittsburgh's power play was so woeful last year (Buffalo 17.6%, Pittsburgh 17.2%)

We're putting too much value in here on that little bit of fabric on the front the jersey. Leaders are leaders regardless of whether or not they have a letter on their jersey. Giving the C to some kid isn't going to suddenly make him develop leadership qualities. You don't groom a leader, they figure it out themselves.

Bull$hit!

That little piece of fabric can go a long way. I'm not saying it will turn any player into Messier. It can make a difference to a player like Mancari? Or even a Weber when he was down there. I'll point back the huge mistake the Sabres made by not giving it to a player like Pominville. By putting in on a player like Rivet you have taken any value away the 'C' may have.

Bull$hit!

That little piece of fabric can go a long way. I'm not saying it will turn any player into Messier. It can make a difference to a player like Mancari? Or even a Weber when he was down there. I'll point back the huge mistake the Sabres made by not giving it to a player like Pominville. By putting in on a player like Rivet you have taken any value away the 'C' may have.

That's like saying a cop's badge is the only thing that gives him power.

That's like saying we should rebuild the twin towers, bigger and better, with a kick ass bass and stinger missiles.

They're just symbols

Can you explain what purpose is served by giving guys who will never see the NHL again a 'C' or 'A'?

Can you explain why you would not concede to the players choice of representatives?

Dineen endorses the players unanimous choice. And why wouldn't he?

Have a look....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_AHL_captains

Almost all the captains in the A have seen time in the NHL.

These guys are elected to protect the players interests, and in the AHL, it is 90% off the ice. (i.e. protect the players from themselves).

Half these kids are living away from their junior billets and families for the first time.

Can you explain why you would not concede to the players choice of representatives?

Have a look....

These guys are elected to protect the players interests, and in the AHL, it is 90% off the ice. (i.e. protect the players from themselves).

Half these kids are living away from their junior billets and families for the first time.

I absolutely love the name of San Antonio's captain.

Second period push Pirates over Bridgeport

Published on: 15th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – Mark Mancari and Dennis McCauley each scored a goal and an assist late in the second period to give the Portland Pirates a 3-1 win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers before a crowd of 3,003 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Friday night.

Link>>>

Have a look....

Ellis was elected? By a group of players who never met him before? What a F'n joke.

Pirates off to a franchise best start with victory over Springfield

Published on: 16th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

Portland, ME – The Portland Pirates are off to the best start in franchise history with a 4-2 victory over the Springfield Falcons in front of 3,600 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Saturday night.

Link>>>>

Wow we could use this on sabres;

You have to give some nods to the way Mark Mancari is going right now,” said Pirates head coach Kevin Dineen. “He’s playing some pretty special hockey to start the season.”

Only one on the big club that can be said about is Roy

DiBenedetto deals Pirates first loss of the season

Published on: 17th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

The Portland Pirates had their four-game winning streak snapped in AHL action in Bridgeport, Connecticut as the Bridgeport Sound Tigers scored two power play goals by Justin DiBenedetto en route to a 4-1 victory at the Arena at Harbor Yard.

Link>>>>

Looks like a couple small changes in the lineup tonight....

Conboy is back in the lineup tonight after missing a pair of games with a scratched cornea. Brennan appears to be the odd man out.

At forward, Jacob Lagace looks ready for his first game of the season, taking the spot of Maxime Legault.

Lines:

Mancari-Adam-Ellis

Parrish-Byron-Stuart

Lagace-Roloff-Whitmore

Tropp-Turnbull-McCauley

Gragnani-Biega

Conboy-Crawford

Schiestel-Persson

I think they're still high on him, but it's a case of 7D and the other's are playing better than him right now.

Pirates Lines:

Mancari-Adam-Ellis

Parrish-Byron-Stuart

Lagace-Roloff-Whitmore

Tropp-Turnbull-McCauley

Conboy-Crawford

Schiestel-Persson

Biega-Gragnani

Leggio

PP1:

Ellis-Adam-Parrish

Gragnani-Mancari