Connolly & Stafford

CallawaySabres

And neither will be on this team next year. If or when these guys light it up this year, I have no problem letting both walk as it would just show me the motivation by $$. I am also predicting the Sabres at least MAKE it to the cup within two years. They just had to wait for the jersey transformation. Book it..

And neither will be on this team next year. If or when these guys light it up this year, I have no problem letting both walk as it would just show me the motivation by $$.

This is a silly argument. Connolly played nearly a full season for the first time in years and set a career high in points in the FIRST year of his new contract last season. What was his motivation then?

I'm confused, are we supposed to hope they don't play well to prove their motivations are pure?

And neither will be on this team next year. If or when these guys light it up this year, I have no problem letting both walk as it would just show me the motivation by $$. I am also predicting the Sabres at least MAKE it to the cup within two years. They just had to wait for the jersey transformation. Book it..

I like ur optimism but I'm not even sure about them getting to the cup (hope ur right). Completely agree though about your first point, especially Stafford. Read an article (might be today's actually) saying how motivate he is this year and how he worked hard over the summer to be in great shape. Surprise surprise he does this in a contract year!

Stafford....I dunno about. The guy just seems lost in a garage band universe. But Connolly could have a big year and be traded at deadline for something. I'd take a second round pick for him

:w00t: :clapping:

Love the quote.

It's what I noticed about him a couple of years ago when I read some stuff about how pumped he was to have this makeshift band he had with a couple of other players and got to play some at one of Miller's fashion shows. Now if they could make a hockey stick look like a guitar then were talking play me a tune, 30 goal season.

I was big on Stafford when he first broke in, but he got lazy in a hurry. I didn't even think the Sabres were going to resign him last time. He's caught on with the entitlement that some of the "core" guys have. Only problem, he doesn't show up at all while those guys show up just enough.

As for Connolly, he set career highs because he actually played a full season. I mean, if you haven't played more than half of a season in almost 4 years and then you finally play 70+, with his offensive abilities, you had better set high marks. Still think he is far too much of a gamble and far too expensive when looking around the league.

This is a silly argument. Connolly played nearly a full season for the first time in years and set a career high in points in the FIRST year of his new contract last season. What was his motivation then?

I'm confused, are we supposed to hope they don't play well to prove their motivations are pure?

No, I am just predicting that Stafford lights it up and will get a nice contract somewhere else. As for Connolly, Unless he lights it up in the playoffs this year, I think his time has run out. Basically, I am just saying that I believe there will be two big point producers this year that won't be here next season - and that's fine. I don't like either of their personalities on the ice....

I too have been predicting that both of these guys have good years in their contract years and I continue to think this will be the case. Whether they will be re-signed is an interesting question. According to capgeek, Stafford is an RFA after this year. It's hard to see someone giving him a substantial offer sheet (requiring good draft picks as compensation to the Sabres) after his inconsistent career. It seems like the most likely outcome, if he has a good season, is that the Sabres re-sign him to another 2-year deal in the $2MM per year range. If he has another crappy year, they probably won't re-sign him, and he'll find himself in the same position MacArthur and Kennedy were in this summer -- ie looking for a new team at a lower contract.

As for TC, if he stays healthy, he'll probably be about as productive as last year and maybe a bit better -- something in the 20-50-70 range -- and if he makes it to July 1, someone will give him a better contract than what he has now -- maybe $5MM x 4 years. I can definitely see the Sabres giving him an extension at the trade deadline like they did a couple of years ago. (I can also see quite a few posters here moaning about this if it happens.)

If they are having good seasons, I don't think the Sabres will trade either of them at the deadline. They want to make a playoff run and won't want to part with a productive asset.

I hope everyone is prepared to swallow a big ###### sandwich in about 9 months or less when one or both of these guys are given a long term deal. Darcy has been in overpay mode for a few years now, sans Kennedy, and unless Adam or Kassian are bona fide ready to go NHLers, Connolly and or Stafford will be back.

I hope everyone is prepared to swallow a big ###### sandwich in about 9 months or less when one or both of these guys are given a long term deal. Darcy has been in overpay mode for a few years now, sans Kennedy, and unless Adam or Kassian are bona fide ready to go NHLers, Connolly and or Stafford will be back.

Thanks for dousing the early season excitement. I hope for the day where the hockey gods lift the curse off of the Buffalo Sabres known as Darcy Regier and a new GM comes in and clears out garbage like Connolly and Stafford once and for all.

Thanks for dousing the early season excitement. I hope for the day where the hockey gods lift the curse off of the Buffalo Sabres known as Darcy Regier and a new GM comes in and clears out garbage like Connolly and Stafford once and for all.

I hope this isn't construed as support for TC or D'S but until legitimate scores are brought in to replace them, whether they are prospects or FA, they aren't going anywhere.

I hope this isn't construed as support for TC or D'S but until legitimate scores are brought in to replace them, whether they are prospects or FA, they aren't going anywhere.

Why are "TC and D's" considered scorers? A combined 13 years in the NHL and one 20 goal between them? They are easily replaced.

Why are "TC and D's" considered scorers? A combined 13 years in the NHL and one 20 goal between them? They are easily replaced.

No way Darcy agrees with that sentiment. Dude loves his players, to a fault. He did refer to TC as a top 20 center in the league as well as displaying his undying love for a 'power forward' with 'potential' like DS.

I guess I'm in the very small minority here who maintains hope for Stafford? He's still pretty young, so a good 2010-11 season could just as easily be a sign of him finally "getting it" as much as it would be a sign of him only being motivated for the contract.

Connolly's history of motivational problems is much longer, so I'd be much less inclined to give him a big fat contract.

No way Darcy agrees with that sentiment. Dude loves his players, to a fault. He did refer to TC as a top 20 center in the league as well as displaying his undying love for a 'power forward' with 'potential' like DS.

That is why this team will not take a serious step forward to being a Stanley Cup contender until Regier is gone. :doh:

I guess I'm in the very small minority here who maintains hope for Stafford?

Connolly's history of motivational problems is much longer, so I'd be much less inclined to give him a big fat contract.

Meh...kassian, despite not having nearly the talent of Stafford, clearly showed what a rugged scoring winger should act like. Drew may have a good season, but he's developed too many habits an has too long a track record to suddenly become something different.

Connolly, on the other hand, is what he is. If he's healthy, which his current track record suggests might happen, he gets points. In theory, this is enough to help a team win. While I'm not completely sold on this theory, see Kovulchuk, I'm willing to suspend disbelief in order for this point to prove itself out.

The same team that continues to scrap the bottom of the backup goaltender barrel? Yes! Invest in a quality backup and a) Lindy will play him more and b) you will get better results.

Weren't you pushing for Alex Auld as a backup? He had a worse year than Lalime last year. Bottom line is that these guys are pretty much interchangeable. Lalime keeps Miller happy, which is valuable by itself.

TC had 65 points last year. That isn't "easily replaced." You can pretend otherwise all you like, but a replacement for TC will cost at least $5MM in free agency or quite a bit of assets in trade.

That is why this team will not take a serious step forward to being a Stanley Cup contender until Regier is gone. :doh:

Right, because they haven't been serious contenders FOUR times while DR has been GM.

Weren't you pushing for Alex Auld as a backup? He had a worse year than Lalime last year. Bottom line is that these guys are pretty much interchangeable. Lalime keeps Miller happy, which is valuable by itself.

I think you're right about Miller's comfort zone with Lalime. Why is this the case? Would Miller be threatened by a better goalie? Personally, I can't wait for Enroth to start pushing Miller. It could be a good thing, if Miller didn't have a nervous breakdown.

I think if it's Lindy's plan to play Lalime in one game of the back-to-backs this season, then he should play him in the FIRST game, when the team is fresher. He always seems to play Lalime in the second game. But if you play your BETTER goalie in the second game, you give yourself a better chance to win, IMO. There tend to be more breakdowns in games where the team is tired.

TC had 65 points last year. That isn't "easily replaced." You can pretend otherwise all you like, but a replacement for TC will cost at least $5MM in free agency or quite a bit of assets in trade.

Right, because they haven't been serious contenders FOUR times while DR has been GM.

So, Regier gets credit for inheriting Hasek now?

Auld over Lalime? I know Lalime will hurt this team when called upon. I am willing to try any other option. The Devil I know sucks so I am willing to try the Devil I don't know.

Connolly? A Connolly replacement $5 mil? Are you actually Regier? Because I would find it hard to believe there are two people in this world stupid enough to overvalue Connolly to that extent.

I think you're right about Miller's comfort zone with Lalime. Why is this the case? Would Miller be threatened by a better goalie? Personally, I can't wait for Enroth to start pushing Miller. It could be a good thing, if Miller didn't have a nervous breakdown.

It has nothing to do with Ruff or Miller. This team decided to cut corners and one of the corners is at backup goalie. They sign the dregs at the cheapest price and burn the starter out to the point they lose in six games to the Bruins.

Archived