Where to go?

spndnchz

It's a no F'n brainer to me.....

Fri December 17th: Sabres @ Panthers

Sat December 18th: Sabres @ Tampa

Sun December 19th: Bills @ Dolphins

Perfect escape.....tons of Buffalonians live in So. Fla and will travel....even if you don't want to watch the Bills, 2 games in 2 days with a 2 hour ride involved.

The Panthers arena is basically a little nicer version of HSBC. Watching games there is very similar, and it is not hostile at all.

Never been to Tampa

Dolphins game is fun because Felon fans don't show up until noon. At 10AM, the parking lots are 80% Bills fans.

If you need a free place to stay, I can get you a stall in the Calder barn. As long as you like the smell of horsecrap, mentholatum, and aren't allergic to hay....you're golden. It was good for the last Blessed Virgin.

DC is a decent choice because the arena is decent, usually full of Sabres fans, and it is downtown, so it is within walking distance of a ton of pre/post game places. Plus, you're only a few miles away from the capitol, so you can spend the day visiting stuff your taxes pay for and then catch the game. If you want late night life you can always head to Georgetown. 6.5 - 7 hr drive or about $110 RT on SW into BWI.

Pittsburgh hands down!

Less than 3 hours from Buffalo and not a bad drive at all.

Brand new arena. Its sweet I just went last weekend.

Usually a pretty good game with a knowledgable crowd as well.

Unfortunatly the Pens have had the Sabres number as of late.

I second this. It is what we are doing this year in February on Friday. New arena should be a bonus too.

spdnchz last year 6 of us went to Tampa when that Roadcrew thing was there but we missed that cause we got there on the gameday. If you can travel Tampa is an awesome sight for a sABRES GAME. iT's warm, they sell beer outside and is like a home game because there are way more Sabres jerseys than Lightning. It was a lot of fun.

I hear San Jose is an awesome place to see a game

I went to the SJ game there last year (while out visiting my sister in San Francisco). Their fans were overall pretty rude...The arena is kind of small too, only holds around 17k

I've also been to Boston twice (nice fans), Carolina 3 times (all 06 ECF's), and DC once (really cool Sabre bar right down the street from their arena)

This season, I'm definitely going to the Sabres/Hawks game in Chicago, and most likely both Sabres games in each of Philly and New Jersey. My GF lives in New Jersey, so it gives me even more of a reason to go see her. She's also a huge hockey fan (albeit a Hawks fan) so god knows where else we'll go this season :)

Perfect escape.....tons of Buffalonians live in So. Fla and will travel....even if you don't want to watch the Bills, 2 games in 2 days with a 2 hour ride involved.

The Panthers arena is basically a little nicer version of HSBC. Watching games there is very similar, and it is not hostile at all.

Never been to Tampa

Dolphins game is fun because Felon fans don't show up until noon. At 10AM, the parking lots are 80% Bills fans.

If you need a free place to stay, I can get you a stall in the Calder barn. As long as you like the smell of horsecrap, mentholatum, and aren't allergic to hay....you're golden. It was good for the last Blessed Virgin.

I've been doing the Bills-Dolphins game down there for the last two years and am trying to make it an annual thing. It's too close to christmas this time though.

I've been doing the Bills-Dolphins game down there for the last two years and am trying to make it an annual thing. It's too close to christmas this time though.

Yeah...Christmas travel might make it more expensive this year.

Since the Bills are so bad, the fans are merciful in their ribbing these days. When I lived there in the 90's, it could get a little tense.

Yeah...Christmas travel might make it more expensive this year.

Since the Bills are so bad, the fans are merciful in their ribbing these days. When I lived there in the 90's, it could get a little tense.

The progression of the ribbing out here in Boston has been pretty funny over the last 10 years. At first I heard nothing but crap from everyone. Now they don't even bother anymore since the Bills are officially irrelevant.

Seeing a game in Philly is a treat. There is certainly some passion there, but it can be a bit misguided. I haven't had trouble myself, but I've seen Philly fans calling Sabres fans words you can't use on this board.

I took my daughter to a Sabres/Flyers game for her 7th birthday. She was so proud to wear her Jersey and was all smiles until she was called names no 6 yr old should ever be called. It was horrible. Now we make the 6 1/2 hour drive and go to Buffalo once a year. I guess it could have been worse - a person had his daughter vomited on at a Phillies game this past year. Typical Philadelphia.

Montreal.

It would be an awesome place to see a game; the Crescent Street party area is a short walk from the Bell Centre. However, getting tickets would be a problem. Some years back, we had a business meeting in Montreal in February. The Sabres were playing the Canadiens on one of the nights we were there. We asked the concierge at our hotel about tickets and he just stared at us. At least at that time, you had to know the PM of Quebec to get a Canadiens' ticket, and even then you'd owe the PM big time.

Chz, how about:

BUF@WAS Sat. April 2

BUF@CAR Sun. April 3

Since I'm in VA now, I look at those two towns as possible road games for myself... and just realized they're the same weekend this year!

Other than that, Detroit is a good one; no trouble there. I've been to St. Louis, very nice atmosphere there.

Pittsburgh is a different story. They're mostly very unknowledgeable, and 90% of them you wouldn't have considered fans 4 years ago. Prepare to be heckled.

I took my daughter to a Sabres/Flyers game for her 7th birthday. She was so proud to wear her Jersey and was all smiles until she was called names no 6 yr old should ever be called. It was horrible. Now we make the 6 1/2 hour drive and go to Buffalo once a year. I guess it could have been worse - a person had his daughter vomited on at a Phillies game this past year. Typical Philadelphia.

I'm with you -- I can tell from watching Flyers/Sabres games in Philly on tv that I would not enjoy attending a game there. I live less than two hours from Philly but I choose to drive to Buffalo for a game every year instead. :thumbsup:

Never been to Tampa

The St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa is a nice place to see a game. You can take a trolley to Ybor after the game to hit up bars and clubs if you're so inclined. Usually at least 1/4 of the arena is full of Sabres fans, and tickets can be had from scalpers for way below face value. I went to 40+ games in the 2 years I lived there. Fans are decent people, pretty laid back. I'd definitely recommend the Miami/Sunrise - Tampa swing.

DC is a decent choice because the arena is decent, usually full of Sabres fans, and it is downtown, so it is within walking distance of a ton of pre/post game places. Plus, you're only a few miles away from the capitol, so you can spend the day visiting stuff your taxes pay for and then catch the game. If you want late night life you can always head to Georgetown. 6.5 - 7 hr drive or about $110 RT on SW into BWI.

DC has been one of my favorite cities to travel when i go to watch the Sabres. DC and Ottawa. Although, Ottawa only sucks because downtown is the place to be, and the rink is like 45 min away, but i was on a bus trip from the Buffalo Brew pub and it was an absolute blast.

DC has been one of my favorite cities to travel when i go to watch the Sabres. DC and Ottawa. Although, Ottawa only sucks because downtown is the place to be, and the rink is like 45 min away, but i was on a bus trip from the Buffalo Brew pub and it was an absolute blast.

DC is great to see a Sabres game. We stayed at the Red Roof right around the corner from the arena. Has a great Irish pub on the ground floor so you can just stumble upstairs to your room. Definitely going to try and get back there this year.

Good to know. What's the name of this bar? I'll be headed to DC for a game if as goes well. Thanks!

....I can't remember. It's been driving me nuts since I went (it was the 06 - 07 season...game where Ovi crosschecked Briere into the bench door opening)

The name is 4 letters long if I recall...

....I can't remember. It's been driving me nuts since I went (it was the 06 - 07 season...game where Ovi crosschecked Briere into the bench door opening)

The name is 4 letters long if I recall...

I was at that game. The bar you're thinking of isn't Clyde's is it. I can't remember the name either. I just remember that there were big bare tree limbs instead if pillars. Awesome place.

I was at that game. The bar you're thinking of isn't Clyde's is it. I can't remember the name either. I just remember that there were big bare tree limbs instead if pillars. Awesome place.

The place you guys are talking about i think is Fado's, Irish pub.

It's where i met SDS and many other guys from this forum for the first time and SDS made a Sabrespace banner.

And yes, that place kicked ass.

Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver are on my bucket list. With Vansterdam being at the top of the list. :ph34r:

I'd really like to visit Vancouver and see a game there. Is it really supposed to be like Amsterdam? Red light district, hashish in cafes and hamburgers in vending machines? I hadn't heard that but if so...

I hear San Jose is an awesome place to see a game

I've heard that too. It's also on my list -- great team, loud arena and Northern CA to check out.

It would be an awesome place to see a game; the Crescent Street party area is a short walk from the Bell Centre. However, getting tickets would be a problem. Some years back, we had a business meeting in Montreal in February. The Sabres were playing the Canadiens on one of the nights we were there. We asked the concierge at our hotel about tickets and he just stared at us. At least at that time, you had to know the PM of Quebec to get a Canadiens' ticket, and even then you'd owe the PM big time.

I've been there twice in the last couple of years for Sabres-Habs games. Fantastic. It's a great city and a great, great hockey experience. The tickets actually weren't hard to come by. I got them the first time on ebay and the 2nd time on Craig's list. In both cases I sat in the lower level for about $40 over face value.

My overall recommendation is to go somewhere with a good team, as this almost always results in a good, passionate crowd (although not in NJ). I would stay away from Atlanta and the Florida teams because the teams are always terrible and as a result the arena is dead.

The place you guys are talking about i think is Fado's, Irish pub.

It's where i met SDS and many other guys from this forum for the first time and SDS made a Sabrespace banner.

And yes, that place kicked ass.

That's it. :thumbsup:

I'd really like to visit Vancouver and see a game there. Is it really supposed to be like Amsterdam? Red light district, hashish in cafes and hamburgers in vending machines? I hadn't heard that but if so...

Yes on the first two. Not sure on the third, but the last thing I'm doing is getting a hamburger in Canada. I just don't get how you can screw that up but somehow they do.

I would stay away from Atlanta and the Florida teams because the teams are always terrible and as a result the arena is dead.

To each their own I guess. Last year in Tampa we got to feel what Toronto fans must feel like when they come here and own our building. We sat near a couple people that were local fans and they were cool and they said unfortunately, it's like that for every game here (Tampa) because everyone is from somewhere else so that visiting team transplants come out in full force. And if I am in the crowd, I assure you it will not be dead!

Archived