Let's try being optimistic!

thesportsbuff

We were all dealt a big blow when Boston eliminated Buffalo from the playoffs. I don't think many of us thought we would lose that series. Then we were forced to endure another boring offseason in which the biggest news story was buying out Tim Kennedy's contract. Needless to say, it's been a rough year for Buffalo sports fans. But let's put it all behind us. There's a lot to look forward to this year.

1. Ryan Miller put together the best season of his career last year. I don't see him tailing off too much, and it won't hurt having Morrisonn, a healthy Rivet, and possibly Mike Weber there to clear the crease.

2. Tyler Myers could become the face of this franchise down the road. He had a hell of a year as a rookie, I'm excited to see how much he's progressed and to watch him to dominate again this year.

3. Tyler Ennis -- hello Calder Trophy candidate! This kid was fun to watch in the limited time he spent here last year. Once he builds some long-term chemistry with the Vanek, Roy, etc there's no doubt in my mind that he can be an integral part of our offense. My expectations are probably a little too high at this point, but he's capable of meeting them. I hope he does.

4. A legit fourth line -- for the first time in recent history the Sabres may actually have an effective fourth line. McCormick - big & physical. Gaustad - big & faceoff expert. Kaleta - big & physical. That group scares me a hell of a lot more than Adam Mair and Raffi Torres. The same can be said about our third line aka veteran line: Hecht, Neidermayer, Grier. Very responsible players. Could be a real shut down line.

5. The 40th Anniversary jerseys/jersey change - I don't know the specifics off the top of my head, but isn't the Sabres winning % significantly higher in their current alternates? Making them the home/away seems like a sure fire way to turn things around! Also hopefully the new uni's are classy and do the past justice.

6. The World Jr's in Buffalo! Should be an awesome event in terms of both hockey and promoting the city in general. I won't have the cash to attend any games, but I'll be watching from a few miles down south. USA!

7. If all else fails, at least CJ Spiller might be exciting.

Feel free to add to the list

Some Reason for Optimism: http://thesportsbuff.com/?p=428

We were all dealt a big blow when Boston eliminated Buffalo from the playoffs. I don't think many of us thought we would lose that series. Then we were forced to endure another boring offseason in which the biggest news story was buying out Tim Kennedy's contract. Needless to say, it's been a rough year for Buffalo sports fans. But let's put it all behind us. There's a lot to look forward to this year.

OMG, who are you and where have you been hiding? Prepare to be slaughtered, mocked and derided.. after all the only reason why most people on this board are here is to perpetrate more gloom-and-doom mongering.

I other words : The Sabres did exactly what they've done the past 4 off-seasons, except Darcy Regier almost cried this time.

Nope, sorry. No reason to be optimistic.

If the team shows up with a pulse come October, I'll be very surprised, and pleasantly so, but this team and it's front office deserves absolutely no benefit of the doubt, or optimism regarding their chances.

I other words : The Sabres did exactly what they've done the past 4 off-seasons, except Darcy Regier almost cried this time.

If the team shows up with a pulse come October, I'll be very surprised, and pleasantly so, but this team and it's front office deserves absolutely no benefit of the doubt, or optimism regarding their chances.

I don't know why Jack ever thought this thread had a chance. I'll quote this post since it's the most recent. The purpose of this thread is very clear. Can't we keep the whining to the other 10,000 threads instead? Everything sucks. We get it.

I don't know why Jack ever thought this thread had a chance. I'll quote this post since it's the most recent. The purpose of this thread is very clear. Can't we keep the whining to the other 10,000 threads instead? Everything sucks. We get it.

He's young. He'll learn better. <_<

I hope he doesn't, 'cause I usually do like reading his posts.

4. A legit fourth line -- for the first time in recent history the Sabres may actually have an effective fourth line. McCormick - big & physical. Gaustad - big & faceoff expert. Kaleta - big & physical. That group scares me a hell of a lot more than Adam Mair and Raffi Torres. The same can be said about our third line aka veteran line: Hecht, Neidermayer, Grier. Very responsible players. Could be a real shut down line.

The fourth line was pretty legit from 2005-2007. Just a small point.

I think the big thing this year is going to be Vanek. If he stays healthy, I think this is the return of the 40-goal scorer.

Actually, I think there's a lot to look forward to. I like the changes that were made this offseason, even if they weren't headline grabbers. There are some young guys looking to break out and we still have some world class talent in Miller, Myers, and Vanek. Roy and Connolly sucked in the playoffs, but I think they'll be fine.

Unlike the Bills, I always go into the NHL season with high hopes. We know the team has potential. Until or unless they totally tank (which I highly doubt) I'm looking forward to getting this thing going. Cant wait for the vintage logo merch to come out. Bury the slug!

Not to open up a debate that has been ongoing in other threads, but come on -- as much as everybody wants to rip Darcy apart, there's no denying that this team is a playoff team. Again, they didn't make any major changes, but they still managed to improve everywhere: defense, their third and fourth lines, and their top 6 (assuming Ennis cracks the roster). Especially if Rivet will be healthy as opposed to playing the whole year with a bum shoulder. I know he's not the most physical guy to begin with but you have to think he'll do a better than last year now that he's healthy. This team did fine last year and we can all agree the playoffs were ######, but before they went out and played a pitiful 6 game series, most of us were probably expecting at least another round. The point is, the team didn't over-achieve in the regular season like everyone says, they just under-achieved in the playoffs.. which is worse in a way, but I just don't see them failing so miserably again.

The hardest part is going to be waiting FOR the playoffs, but watching Ennis and Myers should help pass the time.

Also I'll add one:

8. Another full-season of a healthy Tim Connolly. Can't wait for him to once again prove the haters on the board wrong. :thumbsup:

This is my 40th time on this ride hoping to catch the brass ring...it's getting old.

This year's analysis - Miller is the one star on the team. Let's hope he stays around and doesn't put his personal accomplishments first like Hasek did (not that I blame him). But as you get older you begin to examine your own history more and more - where you've been and where you want to go before it's over.

Ennis and Myers are future stars, that much is almost guaranteed. Vanek hasn't made it yet, and I'm not sure he's got enough to go over the top. With the right line mates it may happen, but not here, not now. Plus he is injury prone.

The rest are either kids trying to get there, veterans who think they can stick, or old guys who are playing out the string.

We have not strengthened the defense nor the offense. We have done nothing to improve the PP.

All-in-all, not a promising forecast. Of course lightning can strike and several players may perform well beyond expectation, but don't count on it.

I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic. And things may change. Who knows? We may even land Kaberle! (lol)

Not to open up a debate that has been ongoing in other threads, but come on -- as much as everybody wants to rip Darcy apart, there's no denying that this team is a playoff team. Again, they didn't make any major changes, but they still managed to improve everywhere: defense, their third and fourth lines, and their top 6 (assuming Ennis cracks the roster). Especially if Rivet will be healthy as opposed to playing the whole year with a bum shoulder. I know he's not the most physical guy to begin with but you have to think he'll do a better than last year now that he's healthy. This team did fine last year and we can all agree the playoffs were ######, but before they went out and played a pitiful 6 game series, most of us were probably expecting at least another round. The point is, the team didn't over-achieve in the regular season like everyone says, they just under-achieved in the playoffs.. which is worse in a way, but I just don't see them failing so miserably again.

The hardest part is going to be waiting FOR the playoffs, but watching Ennis and Myers should help pass the time.

Also I'll add one:

8. Another full-season of a healthy Tim Connolly. Can't wait for him to once again prove the haters on the board wrong. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree - If Miller is injured, or even has a year in which he's not a Vezina candidate, this team is fighting for the 8th spot.

How do I know this? 2007-2008 & 2008-2009.

The team last year was virtually the same from October 2007 through 2010. The only real addition was Tyler Myers, and the only "veteran" to truly step up and make a difference was Miller.

All I have to do is go through the games Lalime got to play last season, and there's our real Buffalo Sabres.

Also, expecting playoffs from a team that's missed 5 out of 9 post-seasons this past decade, and 2 out of the last 3, is a little bit too overconfident for me.

Also I'll add one:

And with a good number of the high end players on this team having poor seasons statistically last year, it's not too much of a stretch to think that some of those guys will bounce back a bit this year.

1. Ryan Miller put together the best season of his career last year. I don't see him tailing off too much, and it won't hurt having Morrisonn, a healthy Rivet, and possibly Mike Weber there to clear the crease.

2. Tyler Myers could become the face of this franchise down the road. He had a hell of a year as a rookie, I'm excited to see how much he's progressed and to watch him to dominate again this year.

3. Tyler Ennis -- hello Calder Trophy candidate! This kid was fun to watch in the limited time he spent here last year. Once he builds some long-term chemistry with the Vanek, Roy, etc there's no doubt in my mind that he can be an integral part of our offense. My expectations are probably a little too high at this point, but he's capable of meeting them. I hope he does.

5. The 40th Anniversary jerseys/jersey change - I don't know the specifics off the top of my head, but isn't the Sabres winning % significantly higher in their current alternates? Making them the home/away seems like a sure fire way to turn things around! Also hopefully the new uni's are classy and do the past justice.

6. The World Jr's in Buffalo! Should be an awesome event in terms of both hockey and promoting the city in general. I won't have the cash to attend any games, but I'll be watching from a few miles down south. USA!

7. If all else fails, at least CJ Spiller might be exciting.

Feel free to add to the list

Some Reason for Optimism: http://thesportsbuff.com/?p=428

In spite of our previous "dialogue", I like this post. I lost a lot of respect for Sabres management over the summer (more than I already had), but I do agree that there are reasons for optimism and I'm actually getting the "Sabres September Itch" a little. Thanks.

Not even gonna bother with that.

You can read, so I know you have eyes. Not my problem if you choose not to use them.

I think Shrader's point was that of course the Sabres are worse if you subtract their best player -- just like every other team in the NHL.

I think Shrader's point was that of course the Sabres are worse if you subtract their best player -- just like every other team in the NHL.

Now, that I can agree with.

The only point I was making, is that if Miller is not playing as a Vezina winner? Well, hello 9th spot. I think the past 3 seasons provide some pretty good evidence to this case.

We've gone down the "let's see if we can ride a goalie all the way to the cup" road when we had the best goalie to ever play the game, and a team that worked their tails off night in and night out. It didn't work then, so why are we trying it again?

Archived