Let's try being optimistic!

thesportsbuff

Now, that I can agree with.

The only point I was making, is that if Miller is not playing as a Vezina winner? Well, hello 9th spot. I think the past 3 seasons provide some pretty good evidence to this case.

We've gone down the "let's see if we can ride a goalie all the way to the cup" road when we had the best goalie to ever play the game, and a team that worked their tails off night in and night out. It didn't work then, so why are we trying it again?

Dominik's teams weren't #9 in the NHL in scoring like the Sabres were last year -- and that was with Vanek having a really crappy year. So if Vanek bounces back and we add Ennis, who I think you'll admit looked like a pretty dynamic offensive player, and more production from Stafford in his contract year, and more accountability/maturity/leadership from Grier and Niedermayer -- well, that's an offensive team that is night-and-day in comparison to Dominik's teams.

I'm frankly not sure Miller was much better last year than he was in the 2 non-playoff years. I think the team played better team defense and was overall much tougher mentally than in the prior 2 years. So I'm not ready to credit last year's regular season to Miller standing on his head every night and bailing out a bunch of bozos.

The Sabres are going to be good again this year. If Miller doesn't get hurt they will be in the hunt for the division title again. If DR can land a top-6 forward between now and camp (which still might happen, as there are a number of teams who are over the cap and need to make some moves), they will be in the hunt for #2 in the conference again.

Dominik's teams weren't #9 in the NHL in scoring like the Sabres were last year -- and that was with Vanek having a really crappy year. So if Vanek bounces back and we add Ennis, who I think you'll admit looked like a pretty dynamic offensive player, and more production from Stafford in his contract year, and more accountability/maturity/leadership from Grier and Niedermayer -- well, that's an offensive team that is night-and-day in comparison to Dominik's teams.

I'm frankly not sure Miller was much better last year than he was in the 2 non-playoff years. I think the team played better team defense and was overall much tougher mentally than in the prior 2 years. So I'm not ready to credit last year's regular season to Miller standing on his head every night and bailing out a bunch of bozos.

The Sabres are going to be good again this year. If Miller doesn't get hurt they will be in the hunt for the division title again. If DR can land a top-6 forward between now and camp (which still might happen, as there are a number of teams who are over the cap and need to make some moves), they will be in the hunt for #2 in the conference again.

Really? Do you think this guy plays as a top 6 forwards at the start of the season? And if isn't there I really don't see him on a checking or banger line. I think he is done.

Really? Do you think this guy plays as a top 6 forwards at the start of the season? And if isn't there I really don't see him on a checking or banger line. I think he is done.

I think the odds are better than 50% (but not by much) that Stafford is on the top-6 most of the year if this is the roster going into camp. That would change if the Sabres (ha!) bring in a top-6 forward between now and camp.

I agree with you that he doesn't fit on this year's 3rd or 4th line. He might've if they still had Kennedy though.

I'm definitely excited to see the development of Myers and Ennis. I definitely want to see what McCormick will do on a nightly basis. I'm hoping Vanek comes back right where he left off and I'm excited to see the new defensemen.

This is probably closest to what I'm looking forward to this season. With Myers, to Ruff's credit, there was a lot of patience shown. The kid was allowed to screw up and he was put right back on the ice. And the rewards spoke for themselves. I think if we allow Ennis to have a little bit of freedom, so to speak, and allow him to screw up (he made some glaring mistakes in the playoffs last year, as we recall), he'll learn from the mistakes and simply improve. And I have a good feeling about this kid. He just oozes goal scoring. We get some good center play and he could be dynamic. We just have to be patient through the mistakes and the troughs.

Back to Myers, if he keeps working hard, I don't expect a "sophomore slump." I think the more confidence this guy develops--and he already has a ton--the deadlier he'll become. If he can get a little meaner defensively, things should be very interesting. It's nice having one of THOSE d-men you can just throw out there for tons of minutes and in any and all situations. I want to see him on the 1st PP unit and right back on the 1st PK unit.

And with the likes of Niedermayer and Grier leading the charge among fwds, I don't see any reason why the Sabres can't repeat their PK success. They were essentially among the top 3 all year last year, no doubt with Miller as the rock, so I'm hoping that will continue. Now all we need is something--ANYTHING--from the PP (Ennis and a healthy Vanek?) and there's definitely some room for optimism.

I think the odds are better than 50% (but not by much) that Stafford is on the top-6 most of the year if this is the roster going into camp. That would change if the Sabres (ha!) bring in a top-6 forward between now and camp.

I wish we'd gotten rid of him in the off-season. But we didn't. That said...

...if Stafford is in the line-up, yeah, he's probably going on one of the top two lines, at least to start the season. I don't like it any more than most, but that's how Ruff will use him if history is our guide. Personally, I'd love to see the guy put up or shut up. Give him 20 games in this, his contract year. Don't set any scoring thresholds, set effort thresholds. If this guy is giving the effort, he has the talent to succeed. But the effort just isn't there consistently, or even at all for long stretches. I know, I know, he's had his fair share of chances for several seasons now and he's failed. But the powers that be decided to keep this guy around, so he's getting the chance regardless. Fine, let's do 20 games and if it still ain't there, it's press box time until we get rid of him in whatever fashion is most expedient.

I completely disagree with assesmtent. How one can compare the obvious 2 prior years of clutch performance on the offensive side and compare it to the more than obvious greatness of Hasak and how he actually stole games is beyond me.

The offense has on this team has steadily progressed downward. And as was pointed out and is so much truth, riding a goalie to a Stanley Cup is not reality.

I can so much appreciate the optimism, but the truth is the truth.

And as previously stated in many different threads, The Sabres have a nasty habit of running up the score against at least some the weaker non-playoff teams of the conference, and moreso than the other top 4 teams in the East last season.

Buffalo for instance owned Tampa and Carolina, as to where Washington, Pittsburgh and NJ didn't come close to putting up the same offensive numbers against these teams. I put a lot of these numbers in another thread, can't remember which.

Roy was a 2+ point per game player in the 4 games against Tampa this year, and almost the same against Carolina. Roy is not a 2 point per game player, we know that, yet he scores 16 points in 8 games, against two very weak teams, over a period spanning October 2009 to March 2010, meaning we're not talking about just some other hot streak.

What does this tell us? Nothing concrete, I'll agree, but it certainly indicates that a great deal of that #9 offense came against, at least, two non-playoff teams making that #9 offense look better than it actually is.

Addendums:

1.) Drew Stafford produces points by scoring, or his ass gets shipped somewhere below hell.

2.) Thomas Vanek produces points by scoring, or his ass gets benched somewhere below hell.

3.) Darcy Regier makes external moves to improve the team, or his ass gets canned somewhere below hell.

4.) The Sabres win the Stanley Cup, or the team falls off Niagra Falls.

And as previously stated in many different threads, The Sabres have a nasty habit of running up the score against at least some the weaker non-playoff teams of the conference, and moreso than the other top 4 teams in the East last season.

Buffalo for instance owned Tampa and Carolina, as to where Washington, Pittsburgh and NJ didn't come close to putting up the same offensive numbers against these teams. I put a lot of these numbers in another thread, can't remember which.

Roy was a 2+ point per game player in the 4 games against Tampa this year, and almost the same against Carolina. Roy is not a 2 point per game player, we know that, yet he scores 16 points in 8 games, against two very weak teams, over a period spanning October 2009 to March 2010, meaning we're not talking about just some other hot streak.

What does this tell us? Nothing concrete, I'll agree, but it certainly indicates that a great deal of that #9 offense came against, at least, two non-playoff teams making that #9 offense look better than it actually is.

And if you look through those other team's schedules, you'll find that they beat up on someone that we didn't. So like you said, yes, this doesn't tell us much of anything.

Being a one man band doesn't make them a "good" team. They weren't a "good" team last season. They are a group of average and below average players with a well above average goaltender.

This season, even with Miller repeating his performance, they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs. Teams in the NE division got better. They are not going to have the soft and sparse schedule they had in the beginning of last season. You also mentioned DR getting a top six forward. If you meant either a legit NHL top six forward or a forward that the Sabres would try to sell as a top six it won;t matter because they are done. Any change in the roster will come from within. It's time to let that dream go.

You also mentioned DR getting a top six forward. If you meant either a legit NHL top six forward or a forward that the Sabres would try to sell as a top six it won;t matter because they are done. Any change in the roster will come from within. It's time to let that dream go.

We are seeking a legitimate point producing NHL top six forward. Such a move now will likely be done the trade route.

Improving from within is hopeless. None of our prospects in Portland are yet to score 40 goals plus.

We are seeking a legitimate point producing NHL top six forward. Such a move now will likely be done the trade route.

Improving from within is hopeless. None of our prospects in Portland are yet to score 40 goals plus.

What is that based one? According to the Sabres they are already over the "internal budget." The idea that the Sabres are trying to bring in a legit top forward is wishful thinking at point.

What is that based one? According to the Sabres they are already over the "internal budget." The idea that the Sabres are trying to bring in a legit top forward is wishful thinking at point.

Aha, but how can you be sure that the oft-mentioned 'internal budget' doesn't already include a sum in mind for a certain player(s)?

Oh wait, you know Darcy better than he knows himself, you're right, the Sabres are done. There goes another season down the drain.

Aha, but how can you be sure that the oft-mentioned 'internal budget' doesn't already include a sum in mind for a certain player(s)?

Oh wait, you know Darcy better than he knows himself, you're right, the Sabres are done. There goes another season down the drain.

I'd chalk it up to years and years of experience with how Darcy does business.

I have to agree with Kristian on that last point. Darcy has had a formula for the past 12 or 13 years that he has stuck to regardless of circumstance which leads me to believe he's incapable of change or growth. He's a bottom feeder that cherry picks based solely on salary and more often than not ends up bringing in players that unfortunatly are past their best before date. To see him bring in a top 6 that not only contributes but is still in his prime just ain't gonna happen. Who would come here? This team has demonstrated time and time again that they are all about cutting corners and costs. I don't see anyone waving a no trade to come in a trade nor do I see any first rate free agents. Darcy tinkers.

I have to agree with Kristian on that last point. Darcy has had a formula for the past 12 or 13 years that he has stuck to regardless of circumstance which leads me to believe he's incapable of change or growth. He's a bottom feeder that cherry picks based solely on salary and more often than not ends up bringing in players that unfortunatly are past their best before date. To see him bring in a top 6 that not only contributes but is still in his prime just ain't gonna happen. Who would come here? This team has demonstrated time and time again that they are all about cutting corners and costs. I don't see anyone waving a no trade to come in a trade nor do I see any first rate free agents. Darcy tinkers.

I'm not for giving Darcy another chance either, but whether we like it or not we have him for this season (maybe just the beginning of the season at least, who knows). By cutting Kennedy he did go against what he has done in the past dozen years, so I am still interested in seeing if anything comes up or not.

I hate to pile on here, but I just read this and have to respond.

Point by point - maybe you are right and Miller didn't improve greatly this past season. However his D is weaker than it was last season. Morrisonn and Leopold do not = Tallinder and Lydman. This calls for a tighter team D. Our only addition has been Niedermayer, who actually may be useful in this role. But that's it. On D we are no better and quite possibly worse. Tougher mentally? No...if that were true they would have taken the Bruins. I still think that they were the better team in that series.

It seems your offensive hopes ride with Stafford. Good luck with that. This kid is streaky, but overall doesn't have the drive it takes to be a top 6 forward. To me he is another MacArthur with less skill. It would be great if Vanek bounced back, but he has shown himself to be injury prone. I expect that to continue and I predict he'll play 60-65 games this season.

Ennis is another matter. This kid is a future star and our only real hope for a good offensive season.

Gerbe is too small - although he has all the other qualities needed to be a top 6. Unfortunately that one weakness is critical in today's NHL.

I share your hope for a top 6 acquisition via trade but don't hold out much hope of that. As mentioned, Darcy has met the internal budget. And based on his record, he would have to get a sweetheart deal to pull the trigger.

The Bruins have passed the Sabres - at least on paper - and I think we'll be fighting for 8th spot in the conference.

Let's hope I'm wrong...I sure do.

I'm optimistic - at least as far as expecting the Sabres to be at least as successful as they were last season. They should be able to pick up another 100 points - or something close to it - and again be in competition for the division title.

But the big question remains: can this team be successful in the playoffs?

If the Sabres are to be successful in the spring, Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy and Tim Connolly have to be on top of their games. I have no doubts about Vanek, but the centers are real question marks.

Optimistic huh? I smell a President's Trophy and another Division title... Ruff wins coach of the year and Kassian wins rookie of the year..

I foresee a President's Trophy and a Division title too...for another team. Kassian wins Inmate Of The Year.

Point by point - maybe you are right and Miller didn't improve greatly this past season. However his D is weaker than it was last season. Morrisonn and Leopold do not = Tallinder and Lydman.

So that's that on the analysis then? What about Myers this year vs. Myers last year? Rivet/Montador/Sekera/Butler/Paetsch last year vs. Rivet/Montador/Sekera/Butler/Weber/Gragnani this year? I may or may not agree with your opinion on Morrisonn and Leopold, but you completley ignore the fact that each player will not be the same exact player that he was last year.

So that's that on the analysis then? What about Myers this year vs. Myers last year? Rivet/Montador/Sekera/Butler/Paetsch last year vs. Rivet/Montador/Sekera/Butler/Weber/Gragnani this year? I may or may not agree with your opinion on Morrisonn and Leopold, but you completley ignore the fact that each player will not be the same exact player that he was last year.

Those are respectable points. Let me address them. Myers isn't a guarantee to improve - there is such a thing as a sophomore slump. Plus he's not with Tallinder anymore - they worked well together. Yes he MAY improve, but according to stats, the 4th season is usually the breakout year. I would expect him at best to equal, but not exceed his first year.

The Rivet/Montador/Sekera/Butler/Weber/Gragnani combination says little to me. Rivet is over his injury and hopefully he won't get hurt again, but he is another year older. Weber is a bit of an unknown, as is Gragnani but D is a tough position to break into. You don't see someone like Myers come into this league every season. Therefore I have to assume they will be adequate...at best. Sekera=Butler=bench IMO. They interchanged at will last season with neither stepping up. It's not that they didn't try, they just couldn't. I'd be surprised if one of them made the jump.

Montador is an unsung hero to me. Now here is a guy who could improve his game and make a real difference in D. If you're looking for the D to improve, this is the guy I would target. (I have a feeling that I'm quite alone in this opinion.)

But failing that, I stand by my analysis.

Those are respectable points. Let me address them. Myers isn't a guarantee to improve - there is such a thing as a sophomore slump. Plus he's not with Tallinder anymore - they worked well together. Yes he MAY improve, but according to stats, the 4th season is usually the breakout year. I would expect him at best to equal, but not exceed his first year.

The Rivet/Montador/Sekera/Butler/Weber/Gragnani combination says little to me. Rivet is over his injury and hopefully he won't get hurt again, but he is another year older. Weber is a bit of an unknown, as is Gragnani but D is a tough position to break into. You don't see someone like Myers come into this league every season. Therefore I have to assume they will be adequate...at best. Sekera=Butler=bench IMO. They interchanged at will last season with neither stepping up. It's not that they didn't try, they just couldn't. I'd be surprised if one of them made the jump.

Montador is an unsung hero to me. Now here is a guy who could improve his game and make a real difference in D. If you're looking for the D to improve, this is the guy I would target. (I have a feeling that I'm quite alone in this opinion.)

But failing that, I stand by my analysis.

That's fine, just wanted to point out how it's not as straight forward as Leopold/Morrisonn vs. Talinder/Lydman. I mentioned everyone, including Weber and Gragnani, but those two will probably wind up fighting to be the guy shuttling back and forth all year, essentially filling the role of Nathan Paetsch last year. I like your thoughts on Montador too. He could be a guy who steps up his game a bit now that he should be comfortable on this team.

Archived