Let's try being optimistic!

thesportsbuff

I know this is not the trade or FA thread, but to nfreeman. You asked me about Kovy, his availability is the reason for my response.

However, with that being said. The player I would like to see, and, if you believe some rumors, could be available, is Dustin Penner.

I really don't know his availability to be quite honest with you, its all fan speculation with a couple of writers up in Edmonton playing GM for a day with a couple articles. But, that not withstanding, Penner is 245 lbs. and can find the net.

Looks like a very good fit for the Right Wing with Roy and Vanek on paper anyways. Size, some skill and has decent goal scoring numbers. His assists went up this past season, I wouldn't see why that trend in the 60 point range couldn't continue with Roy and Vanek.

Much more suited to the top 6 than a Torres type player, although, thats just my opinion based on his career production numbers and I'm not sure why he jumped from the 45 point range into the 60's this past season. So, some question marks there. Health looks good with 3 seasons at 82 games and 1 at 78 games.

Reasonable cap hit and length on contract as well. 2 years at 4.25 mil. I know the internal cap situation, but, the Sabres have the room. I really don't know what the Oilers would be looking for in return. If you have any input on this, or on the idea itself, I'm all ears. But, its food for thought. His contract is up the same time Myers extension would kick in, it looks like its a good fit.

Thoughts?

Archived