Let's try being optimistic!

thesportsbuff

Point by point - maybe you are right and Miller didn't improve greatly this past season. However his D is weaker than it was last season. Morrisonn and Leopold do not = Tallinder and Lydman.

Those are respectable points. Let me address them. Myers isn't a guarantee to improve - there is such a thing as a sophomore slump. Plus he's not with Tallinder anymore - they worked well together.

The biggest flaw in your "analysis" is that you're responding to posts that were, by definition, "optimistic." Most of these posters are citing reasons for optimism, not necessarily providing a prediction. That was the whole point of this thread.

The thing that I find pretty hilarious on this board is this newly formed love affair with Tallinder and Lydman. The year before last, AT LEAST, Tallinder was borderline terrible. Then we bring in a rookie who has an elite year, he's paired with the formerly terrible Tallinder, and we should be more inclined to believe that Myers won't improve because Tallinder is now gone? Seems to me that it's Tallinder who's more likely to suffer the loss of a co-D-man who was playing at an elite level. As for Lydman, he's been a surprisingly steady d-man since we got him from the Flames, but his coming or going is hardly going to mean the difference between success and failure on this team. He did some things well, but nothing great, and he can be replaced.

With Myers, a "sophomore slump" is usually the result of someone not working and resting on past accomplishments, maybe with a touch of others not being taken by surprise. But Myers is a workhorse and that won't ebb this year, barring injury. He will get tons of minutes in all situations and he's what...19? 20 now? I don't see any reason to believe he's going to dip in his level of play because of this "sophomore slump" notion. There's far more reason to believe he'll improve, especially with his age, skating ability (you don't slump away your ability to skate), and his almost unlimited ceiling.

Then we have a Rivet who is no longer injured. Whether there's a marked difference remains to be seen, but there is definitely reason for optimism there as Rivet has not played to the level of previous years and there's every reason to believe that was based on injury. Again, it remains to be seen if he resumes his previous level (not an all-star level, as I stated in another post, but he was still a very solid d-man), but overcoming his injured shoulder ranks as more of a reason for optimism than "another year older" ranks as a reason for pessimism.

As for Montador, save a couple of hiccups around his own net, I wasn't too disappointed with his play last year. I especially appreciated his standing up for teammates, even when he got whooped. There wasn't enough of that, outside of the token challenges, last year.

Now I'm not saying we have an elite defensive corps, but this idea that things have deteriorated is a little alarmist. I also wish more had been done in some areas (scoring forward and top-2 d-man), but the D doesn't look all that different than it did last year. We'll see when the games start, and definitely everything could collapse in a few short games, but within the context of this thread (which seems to be lost on many responders), there's at least a solid basis for optimism.

I realize the threads about optimism but I've seen no improvement to our top 6 forwards some of which have been slotted into that position above where their true ranking should be. Because Regier sells it that way doesn't necessarily make it so. As for the 'D' I see it as essentially the same as last year. Overall there's been no improvement in my eyes despite what Regier said would transpire during his emotional response to the pathetic showing against the Bruins. That being said,there is a good chance everyone could have career years and all the planets could align and the hockey gods could smile on the sabres but there could also be crippling injuries to key players and off years for some so predicting what may or may not happen is foolhardy. All you can realistically do is look at the roster on paper and make a fudgement on that and I think its a wash. Regier is basically going into next year with the same lineup.

I realize the threads about optimism but I've seen no improvement to our top 6 forwards some of which have been slotted into that position above where their true ranking should be. Because Regier sells it that way doesn't necessarily make it so. As for the 'D' I see it as essentially the same as last year. Overall there's been no improvement in my eyes despite what Regier said would transpire during his emotional response to the pathetic showing against the Bruins. That being said,there is a good chance everyone could have career years and all the planets could align and the hockey gods could smile on the sabres but there could also be crippling injuries to key players and off years for some so predicting what may or may not happen is foolhardy. All you can realistically do is look at the roster on paper and make a fudgement on that and I think its a wash. Regier is basically going into next year with the same lineup.

So start a "Reasons for pessimism" thread. Oh wait, that's every single thread on this board.

So start a "Reasons for pessimism" thread. Oh wait, that's every single thread on this board.

You might see some optimism once the Sabres give their fans something to be optimistic about? Another sad off-season of promise and disappointment is what fans have been given.

You might see some optimism once the Sabres give their fans something to be optimistic about? Another sad off-season of promise and disappointment is what fans have been given.

No, it's people like you who want to rain over any positive thoughts. You want people to be as miserable as you. It's ridiculous and has gotten incredibly old. And you can say whatever you want, but your first line there is flat out proven to be wrong because this thread itself shows that there is some optimism out there among plenty of people. But go ahead, continue to piss and moan about everything.

No, it's people like you who want to rain over any positive thoughts. You want people to be as miserable as you. It's ridiculous and has gotten incredibly old. And you can say whatever you want, but your first line there is flat out proven to be wrong because this thread itself shows that there is some optimism out there among plenty of people. But go ahead, continue to piss and moan about everything.

I don't need to piss and moan about everything. I'll aim true and just piss on your post.

Regier has done nothing this off-season to improve this hockey team. Even the most Pollyanna of fans can't deny that. This team is set up for failure just as last season was. Put the entire load on Miller's back and see how far he can take you. Is there any doubt the Sabres needed at least one top six forward? Where is he? The Sabres needed a top tier power play defenseman? Where is he? They have needed a competent back up goalie for years. Where is he?

The Sabres are a franchise that can produce one thing very well. That is excuses. You can sit at your keyboard and accept all of the excuses as gospel. It is not going to change those of us who expect more. Those fans that pine for the days where accountability will return to the Sabres franchise will always be here. Learn to live with it.

I'll shake now and zip up.

I don't need to piss and moan about everything. I'll aim true and just piss on your post.

Regier has done nothing this off-season to improve this hockey team. Even the most Pollyanna of fans can't deny that. This team is set up for failure just as last season was. Put the entire load on Miller's back and see how far he can take you. Is there any doubt the Sabres needed at least one top six forward? Where is he? The Sabres needed a top tier power play defenseman? Where is he? They have needed a competent back up goalie for years. Where is he?

The Sabres are a franchise that can produce one thing very well. That is excuses. You can sit at your keyboard and accept all of the excuses as gospel. It is not going to change those of us who expect more. Those fans that pine for the days where accountability will return to the Sabres franchise will always be here. Learn to live with it.

I'll shake now and zip up.

I wonder if carp has a graph for how many times you've used the word Pollyanna this year.

The biggest flaw in your "analysis" is that you're responding to posts that were, by definition, "optimistic." Most of these posters are citing reasons for optimism, not necessarily providing a prediction. That was the whole point of this thread.

The thing that I find pretty hilarious on this board is this newly formed love affair with Tallinder and Lydman. The year before last, AT LEAST, Tallinder was borderline terrible. Then we bring in a rookie who has an elite year, he's paired with the formerly terrible Tallinder, and we should be more inclined to believe that Myers won't improve because Tallinder is now gone? Seems to me that it's Tallinder who's more likely to suffer the loss of a co-D-man who was playing at an elite level. As for Lydman, he's been a surprisingly steady d-man since we got him from the Flames, but his coming or going is hardly going to mean the difference between success and failure on this team. He did some things well, but nothing great, and he can be replaced.

With Myers, a "sophomore slump" is usually the result of someone not working and resting on past accomplishments, maybe with a touch of others not being taken by surprise. But Myers is a workhorse and that won't ebb this year, barring injury. He will get tons of minutes in all situations and he's what...19? 20 now? I don't see any reason to believe he's going to dip in his level of play because of this "sophomore slump" notion. There's far more reason to believe he'll improve, especially with his age, skating ability (you don't slump away your ability to skate), and his almost unlimited ceiling.

Then we have a Rivet who is no longer injured. Whether there's a marked difference remains to be seen, but there is definitely reason for optimism there as Rivet has not played to the level of previous years and there's every reason to believe that was based on injury. Again, it remains to be seen if he resumes his previous level (not an all-star level, as I stated in another post, but he was still a very solid d-man), but overcoming his injured shoulder ranks as more of a reason for optimism than "another year older" ranks as a reason for pessimism.

As for Montador, save a couple of hiccups around his own net, I wasn't too disappointed with his play last year. I especially appreciated his standing up for teammates, even when he got whooped. There wasn't enough of that, outside of the token challenges, last year.

Now I'm not saying we have an elite defensive corps, but this idea that things have deteriorated is a little alarmist. I also wish more had been done in some areas (scoring forward and top-2 d-man), but the D doesn't look all that different than it did last year. We'll see when the games start, and definitely everything could collapse in a few short games, but within the context of this thread (which seems to be lost on many responders), there's at least a solid basis for optimism.

I didn't say anything had deteriorated per se', you see I'm trying to be optimistic. But just like you yourself said, the D doesn't look that much different than last year's.

I'm not in love with Lydman or Tallinder. It's just that Darcy hasn't upgraded.

And I didn't mention the offense because I think everyone knows exactly what you said. No change=no improvement. One would think that after that embarrassing PP display in the playoffs, that something would have been done.

BTW a sophomore slump isn't about lack of trying or lack of ability, it's a mental thing. I'm not a psychologist so I can't explain it but it does happen to many rookies. It certainly could happen to Myers.

And I ended on an optimistic note too - hoping that I was wrong!

What is that one based? According to the Sabres they are already over the "internal budget." The idea that the Sabres are trying to bring in a legit top forward is wishful thinking at point.

The Sabres have not said anything about being over the internal budget. Last time the financial records were checked, they were significantly below the cap.

Bringing in a legit top forward is not wishful thinking. We have been after one for years, but cannot acquire one with the players we have to offer right now.

You must be practicing strange medicine on another planet.

How do you guys feel about Tyler Ennis competing for the Calder? That would be awesome for Buffalo players to take it home back-to-back. Obviously it's way too early to know for sure, but from what we saw last season, he looks like he's going to step right in and produce and play at an NHL level. The question is, will he perform better than players like Hall, Sequin, Eberle?

The Sabres have not said anything about being over the internal budget. Last time the financial records were checked, they were significantly below the cap.

Bringing in a legit top forward is not wishful thinking. We have been after one for years, but cannot acquire one with the players we have to offer right now.

So in other words, we need a top forward, but can't get one, because we have no top players to offer?

You want a top forward, you deal Miller, Vanek or Myers, seeing as those are the top players we have. Even Roy, at his current contract, would be an asset to most teams and his trade value would reflect that.

Fact is the Sabres have plenty to offer, if Darcy really wanted to get a deal done.

And before people go apeshit over this post, I'm not saying we should deal either player, I'm just saying that the Sabres have plenty of assets to offer in a trade, should they be truly serious about making one.

*edit

Also, if a team is so devoid of assets that it's impossible to trade for a legit top-6 forward, then who does that responsibility fall on anyway?

So in other words, we need a top forward, but can't get one, because we have no top players to offer?

You want a top forward, you deal Miller, Vanek or Myers, seeing as those are the top players we have. Even Roy, at his current contract, would be an asset to most teams and his trade value would reflect that.

Fact is the Sabres have plenty to offer, if Darcy really wanted to get a deal done.

And before people go apeshit over this post, I'm not saying we should deal either player, I'm just saying that the Sabres have plenty of assets to offer in a trade, should they be truly serious about making one.

*edit

Also, if a team is so devoid of assets that it's impossible to trade for a legit top-6 forward, then who does that responsibility fall on anyway?

Also, just to add to Kristian's post, the Sabres (Darcy anyway) have said they've over the "internal budget."

Darcy said they were over their projected budget. Internal budget, same difference. He thanked ownership for being so very "gracious" for allowing them to "continue to work on the team."

How do you guys feel about Tyler Ennis competing for the Calder? That would be awesome for Buffalo players to take it home back-to-back. Obviously it's way too early to know for sure, but from what we saw last season, he looks like he's going to step right in and produce and play at an NHL level. The question is, will he perform better than players like Hall, Sequin, Eberle?

If Ennis can get some scoring line minutes I think he has as good a shot at the Calder as anyone else.

My son thinks he'll score over 85 points this season. Don't get me wrong, I like the kids energy he showed at the end of the season, but I see 65+ points possible if Ruff doesn't banish him to the Nieds/Grier line for "Defensive Skill" training.

But he is a bright spot in the forwards this season that I have some optimism on. This and I am also optimistic that our other Tyler (you know, the tall drink of water back on defense) has another great year and breaks the 50 point mark.

I'm not saying the Sabres are Cup contenders quite yet, but there are a couple of players that show great promise.

I want to turn a negative into a positive. All this grousing about not spending to the cap (myself included) is going to work in our favor. Let's hope that the team is going to be in such a great position by the trade deadline that Darcy can actually go to OSP and say,"Look, if we just get [this guy], we will win the Cup and you will make even more money." Having the cap space at that time will make it possible.

I'm also just cautiously optimistic about McCormick and Ennis. Sure they looked promising last year, but playing a full season with the big club is much different than a few games here and there.

One thing I don't need to hear ever again, though, is that the Sabres were 9th in offense last year. IIRC, they were 4th in offense in '07-'08 and didn't make the playoffs. Scoring wasn't the problem, but timely scoring was. I'm optimistic that Tyler Myers will become that PP QB that we've all been yearning for and last year I saw glimpses how Roy, Vanek and Connolly could get those important goals at the ends of games, not enough, but it's a start. I'm hoping they continue that.

Wow. That was pretty cheery. Is it October yet?

I want to turn a negative into a positive. All this grousing about not spending to the cap (myself included) is going to work in our favor. Let's hope that the team is going to be in such a great position by the trade deadline that Darcy can actually go to OSP and say,"Look, if we just get [this guy], we will win the Cup and you will make even more money." Having the cap space at that time will make it possible.

Wouldn't mind one bit if you were right on this.

Also, I never believed in spending to the cap myself. It's not what you spend, but who you spend it on.

Just sucks a little that Darcy decided to throw way too much money down the "brat pack drain".

I think there is good cause for optimism this season. The Sabres did win their division last year (they just didn't look all that great doing it). They have two award-winning players (Miller and Myers) and some new blood, including a Cup-winning forward. Also, no break for the Olympics, so Miller should be able to remain fresh well into the springtime. The new uniforms are (almost literally) icing on the cake. So, could the Sabres win the Cup? Well, maayyybe. They should make the playoffs handily, and perhaps Niedermeyer can get the team pumped enough to get to the second round at least. Who knows?

Yeah, so IS it October yet?

Darcy said they were over their projected budget. Internal budget, same difference. He thanked ownership for being so very "gracious" for allowing them to "continue to work on the team."

Anything Regier says is usually a lie. You succumbed to it.

Congratualtions, you are a member of the Fairly Arrogant Goons CLUB! :clapping: No pity for you. :thumbdown:

*edit

We are not trading Miller, Vanek and Myers. :death: Such idea gains membership into the Fairly Arrogant Goons CLUB. :thumbdown:

We have other assets to use. They are not playing at or producing at the levels they should.

We are not trading Miller, Vanek and Myers. :death: Such idea gains membership into the Fairly Arrogant Goons CLUB. :thumbdown:

We have other assets to use. They are not playing at or producing at the levels they should.

Excellent. You sir win the award. The most negative poster in the optimism thread.

BUF owned CAR huh? How do you figure?

Date Score Game Winning Goal Winning Goalie

03/21/2010 BUF 5 @ CAR 3 Toni Lydman Ryan Miller

02/11/2010 BUF 3 @ CAR 4 (OT) Sergei Samsonov Manny Legace

@ Buffalo Sabres

Date Score Game Winning Goal Winning Goalie

02/05/2010 CAR 4 @ BUF 3 Jussi Jokinen Manny Legace

11/28/2009 CAR 1 @ BUF 5 Clarke MacArthur Ryan Miller

It was a season split with BUF scoring four more goals than CAR over four games. Hardly a case of "owning."

And as previously stated in many different threads, The Sabres have a nasty habit of running up the score against at least some the weaker non-playoff teams of the conference, and moreso than the other top 4 teams in the East last season.

Buffalo for instance owned Tampa and Carolina, as to where Washington, Pittsburgh and NJ didn't come close to putting up the same offensive numbers against these teams. I put a lot of these numbers in another thread, can't remember which.

Roy was a 2+ point per game player in the 4 games against Tampa this year, and almost the same against Carolina. Roy is not a 2 point per game player, we know that, yet he scores 16 points in 8 games, against two very weak teams, over a period spanning October 2009 to March 2010, meaning we're not talking about just some other hot streak.

What does this tell us? Nothing concrete, I'll agree, but it certainly indicates that a great deal of that #9 offense came against, at least, two non-playoff teams making that #9 offense look better than it actually is.

Anything Regier says is usually a lie. You succumbed to it.

Congratualtions, you are a member of the Fairly Arrogant Goons CLUB! :clapping: No pity for you. :thumbdown:

I rather be in the Fairly Arrogant Goons club than be Just Another Cocky Know-it-all Attacking SabreSpacers.

Archived