Yahoo.com's Mount Puckmore: Buffalo

thesportsbuff

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Mount-Puckmore-The-four-faces-of-the-Buffalo-Sa;_ylt=Aiuqtl1_QDaOLyuFG3yR1VZ7vLYF?urn=nhl-260448

This is a solid read for all Sabres fans, but begs the question: What four players (or coaches) would you pick that best define the Sabres franchise?

Perreault is a no-brainer, and Hasek is as close to a no-brainer as you can get without actually being a no-brainer, but what do you guys think about Rob Ray and LaFontaine? Would you put somebody else in their place?

I'm not gonna hurt ya.

They wanted players though. Was Ruff that significant in the blue and gold?

Yeah, the author of that article only went with players. For the sake of discussion, though, I see no problem with allowing coaches, GMs, etc. The only limit I would put on it is no owners, because you could easily just say the Knox brothers -- because well, without them, there are no Sabres. :thumbsup:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Mount-Puckmore-The-four-faces-of-the-Buffalo-Sa;_ylt=Aiuqtl1_QDaOLyuFG3yR1VZ7vLYF?urn=nhl-260448

This is a solid read for all Sabres fans, but begs the question: What four players (or coaches) would you pick that best define the Sabres franchise?

Perreault is a no-brainer, and Hasek is as close to a no-brainer as you can get without actually being a no-brainer, but what do you guys think about Rob Ray and LaFontaine? Would you put somebody else in their place?

No way in hell Rob Ray.

Perreault, Hasek, Schoeny and Craig Ramsay.

Four players to "define" the franchise, or to "glorify" it? If we want to glorify it, you've got guys like Perrault, LaFontaine, etc. What type of player "defines" a team with zero championships after 40 seasons? Maybe Tim Connolly or Maxim Afinogenov? A lot of potential, a few good memories, but nothing to show for it that anyone else would envy. Throw Quinn and Regier up there too. Feckless, weak, timid, incompetent, and resumes completely lacking accomplishments of any kind.

At this point in the team's history, I think Artem Kruikov is the ultimate Sabre. Not ringing a bell? He's the soft, concussion-prone Russian forward the Sabres picked in the first round in 2000 when Brooks Orpik (the local big, tough defenseman) was still on the board (and went to Pittsburgh a couple picks later). Orpik went on to help Pittsburgh win the Cup and Kruikov never played in the NHL. He's a fine example of the type of players the Sabres gravitate to and the results they get.

Andreychuk - left and won a Cup, number retired here.

Hasek - left and won a Cup, number will be retired here

LaFontaine - won a Cup somewhere else, number retired here

Bowman - even he couldn't bring a Cup to Buffalo

IMO Bowman is overrated. My grandmother could have won the Cups he did when coaching Montreal or Detroit. But what happened when he faced a real challenge in St. Louis or here? Nothing.

IMO Bowman is overrated. My grandmother could have won the Cups he did when coaching Montreal or Detroit. But what happened when he faced a real challenge in St. Louis or here? Nothing.

He took the Blues to the finals multiple times. That team was far and away the "best of the rest" in the early expansion days. He also won a SC w/ Pittsburgh. The only team he DIDN'T get to the Finals was Buffalo. That's also the only team he wore both the GM and Coach's hats.

You're right, he sucked.

In alphabetical order:

Hasek / LaFontaine / Perreault / Ramsey (only one of the four I've met, in Wheatfield back in the day, and he was total class, so I'm biased)

IMO Bowman is overrated.

You can't possibly be serious with that one, right?

Four players to "define" the franchise, or to "glorify" it? If we want to glorify it, you've got guys like Perrault, LaFontaine, etc. What type of player "defines" a team with zero championships after 40 seasons? Maybe Tim Connolly or Maxim Afinogenov? A lot of potential, a few good memories, but nothing to show for it that anyone else would envy. Throw Quinn and Regier up there too. Feckless, weak, timid, incompetent, and resumes completely lacking accomplishments of any kind.

At this point in the team's history, I think Artem Kruikov is the ultimate Sabre. Not ringing a bell? He's the soft, concussion-prone Russian forward the Sabres picked in the first round in 2000 when Brooks Orpik (the local big, tough defenseman) was still on the board (and went to Pittsburgh a couple picks later). Orpik went on to help Pittsburgh win the Cup and Kruikov never played in the NHL. He's a fine example of the type of players the Sabres gravitate to and the results they get.

Well played and if we use your definition spot on. There are several more good examples of these kind of draft choices that never played in the NHL in their 40 year history. To be fair though we may have to contrast it to how many other teams have had these same type of flame out choices through the years. Ahhh on second thought never mind fair this is a fans opinion board and your opinion should be as welcome here as anyones.

Where did Pat win a Cup?

Archived