Confirmed: Sabres sign D Shaone Morrisonn

PromoTheRobot

I think it means Weber isn't ready for prime time, no matter how often certain sportswriters claim he is. It also means Sekera, Butler and Weber are all going for the same spot.

Separately: I have a hard time believing some big move for a forward is in the offing. Maybe today's moves just mean (i) DR likes Gerbe at $850K more than he likes Kennedy at $1MM and (ii) Lindy and DR aren't confident with the young defensemen.

Maybe not something that anyone would qualify as big, but something has to be in the works. There are too many NHL level defensemen at this point. Everyone static listed is waiver eligible at this point.

Maybe not something that anyone would qualify as big, but something has to be in the works. There are too many NHL level defensemen at this point. Everyone static listed is waiver eligible at this point.

The only one I question on that list is Gragnani, but if you remember, Darcy stated back early in the off season that he felt both Weber and Gragnani would push for roster spots. I have to wonder if he wasn't pumping up their value to the media.

Weber looked decent this past season in Portland, and Gragnani was not bad either, but I have to believe 1 or possibily 2 of these guys are on the move. Who knows, maybe even a roster D man is in the mix on this.

But I can confirm based on simple math right now that there are to many D men in the mix here.

Like I said, maybe Gragnani back in Portland, but Weber, Sekera and Bulter all fighting for a spot.

I think one thing is almost a lock, Kaberle to Buffalo probably isn't going to happen unless Burke is taking back a couple of young D men. I don't know, anything is possible I guess.

The only one I question on that list is Gragnani, but if you remember, Darcy stated back early in the off season that he felt both Weber and Gragnani would push for roster spots. I have to wonder if he wasn't pumping up their value to the media.

Weber looked decent this past season in Portland, and Gragnani was not bad either, but I have to believe 1 or possibily 2 of these guys are on the move. Who knows, maybe even a roster D man is in the mix on this.

But I can confirm based on simple math right now that there are to many D men in the mix here.

Like I said, maybe Gragnani back in Portland, but Weber, Sekera and Bulter all fighting for a spot.

I think one thing is almost a lock, Kaberle to Buffalo probably isn't going to happen unless Burke is taking back a couple of young D men. I don't know, anything is possible I guess.

At this point, if Buffalo were to acquire Kaberle (without losing Myers/Leopold/Morrisonn obviously), our defense is almost ... dare I say stacked? But I consider kaberle very unlikely now..

Don't think anyone mentioned yet, it's a two-way deal. I like his size but he's seriously NOT an offensive d man.

Do you have a reliable source that it's a two-way contract? The only place that I saw that was on a "Die by the Blade" post. It's not on Sabres.com, TSN.com, BN.com or WGR550.com.

Not that it technically matters, but I would be surprised that he'd sign a two-way contract.

I have no problem with this move, but I don't think anyone should kid himself about it. Morrisonn was Washington's #6 defenseman in the playoffs with under 16 minutes per game. I think Morrisonn is much more of a Montador-type pickup than anything else, and potentially less -- ie he could be a frequent healthy scratch and if he did sign a 2-way contract as someone posted, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up in Portland. Leopold will play a lot more. Morrisonn isn't going near the top pairing.

Big kid plays with some toughness. Easily the best signing of the off-season for the Sabres. Wonder who the odd man out will be?

Thats depressing on 2 counts. Firstly I agree and secondly this isnt even a big signing. Not having a dig, just saying.

There better be a damn plan.

I have nothing bad to say about this pickup - though I haven't seen what they are paying him yet. I like his size and that he has been one of the leaders in hits and blocked shots for the Caps.

The only thing I've seen on pay was 1.75 mil a season for 2 seasons. Someone posted it was being mentioned from another forum, no link, sorry.

As for what others have posted, I don't know if its a 2 way contract, but even if it is, 9 potential defensemen in the pipeline?

That is an awful lot of d men, and Weber accepted his qualifying offer, did he not? If thats the case, was Weber's contract a 2 way?

I have to say, I think another move is coming out of this. As many have pointed out, there was no reason to waive Kennedy this early, was there?

It just seems like that was a move to free up the roster spot, but as Taro pointed out, they can have more than 23 on the roster until a certain date, is this not correct?

If it is, I would think dumping the 1 mil contract and freeing up roughly 800k off of Kennedy's deal once the buyout occurs was a decision perhaps based on bringing in another player with a 4 or 5 mil contract? No?

I have no problem with this move, but I don't think anyone should kid himself about it. Morrisonn was Washington's #6 defenseman in the playoffs with under 16 minutes per game. I think Morrisonn is much more of a Montador-type pickup than anything else, and potentially less -- ie he could be a frequent healthy scratch and if he did sign a 2-way contract as someone posted, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up in Portland. Leopold will play a lot more. Morrisonn isn't going near the top pairing.

Exactly, this guy isnt a great Dman, he brings some size to this team and most importantly experience.

AS to those who say he's exactly what this team needs, apparently you didnt watch the playoffs where this team struggled to score.

For the first three years after the lockout, he was playing over 20 minutes per game without any PP time. He was also paired with Mike Green for a lot of that, allowing Green to become the offense force that he has become by holding down the fort, so to speak. People have suggested that Kaberle would be a good partner for Myers, but I'd rather have him paired with someone who is solid in his own end, allowing Myers the freedom to do what he does, jumping into the play, while still being a shut-down pairing. Is Morrisonn that guy? I don't know. Maybe, someday Weber will be, but we'll have to see how things pan out this year.

Morrisonn made $1.975 million last year. You would think he signed for slightly more with the Sabres.

Not necessarily. I didn't see the Caps rushing to re-up with him at that price.

Don't quote me but I thought I saw $1.75 mill per year somehwere.

Maybe one of them can take Connolly's faceoffs :wallbash:

Much as I hate Sindy Crosby, I was really impressed when I read somewhere that he sucked on faceoffs until a couple of years ago, then worked on it with some coaches all offseason long and came back a faceoff beast.

If Connolly does nothing to improve himself, shame on him. The fact that the thinktank does nothing to improve him is damning proof that the status quo is good enough for the front office, and shame on us for accepting that.

The only thing I've seen on pay was 1.75 mil a season for 2 seasons. Someone posted it was being mentioned from another forum, no link, sorry.

As for what others have posted, I don't know if its a 2 way contract, but even if it is, 9 potential defensemen in the pipeline?

That is an awful lot of d men, and Weber accepted his qualifying offer, did he not? If thats the case, was Weber's contract a 2 way?

I have to say, I think another move is coming out of this. As many have pointed out, there was no reason to waive Kennedy this early, was there?

It just seems like that was a move to free up the roster spot, but as Taro pointed out, they can have more than 23 on the roster until a certain date, is this not correct?

If it is, I would think dumping the 1 mil contract and freeing up roughly 800k off of Kennedy's deal once the buyout occurs was a decision perhaps based on bringing in another player with a 4 or 5 mil contract? No?

Weber is only 550k and a two way deal.

Butler is two way also. Sekera signed a one way deal last year.

The way NESN is talking, they appear to be a bit petrified at Morrisonn coming over here. "The Bruins will have to deal with defenseman Shaone Morrisonn, who signed a two-year deal of his own with Northeast Division rival Buffalo. "

Are they really that scared?

from Bill Hoppe: His wiki page graffitied

Shaone Morrisonn (born December 23, 1982 in Vancouver, British Columbia) is a professional ice hockey defenceman who currently plays for the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL. This is just a terrible move. This guy really has a pretty unaccomplished career. Let Kennedy go so we can get a 3rd tier blue-liner to play on the second unit? Way to go, Darcy! Cup bound Sabres, Cup bound! (Not really though).

Also says that his pay with the Caps was awarded by arbitration in summer 2008.

Archived