Confirmed: Sabres sign D Shaone Morrisonn

PromoTheRobot

Much as I hate Sindy Crosby, I was really impressed when I read somewhere that he sucked on faceoffs until a couple of years ago, then worked on it with some coaches all offseason long and came back a faceoff beast.

If Connolly does nothing to improve himself, shame on him. The fact that the thinktank does nothing to improve him is damning proof that the status quo is good enough for the front office, and shame on us for accepting that.

True on Crosby, he made quite an improvement in the faceoff department.

But make no mistake, I'm convinced Connolly's quite happy being the hockey player he is. The fact that he sucks as bad as he does on faceoffs tells me he's made no effort whatsoever to improve.

His entire attitude reeks of complacency, much like the rest of this team's "top forwards".

No surprise there, since the GM is every bit as complacent in everything he does and says.

Yeah, I'm sold. Montador and maybe Rivet would have been the only D-man on the team last year that would've come back at someone like that.

I fully expect Ruff to work on that side of his game.

"The Lindy Ruff Pussification Process", as I believe PA likes to call it?

Me likey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmHMQpJu2TA

That was payback for Callahan taking him out in the first period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSr81pgxwTI

From what ive heard from my buddies down in DC is dont expect him to play like that. He hits but he's not a bruiser, and caps fans dont consider him physical. He a stay at home Dman.

on Shaone Morrisonn, from Caps fansite

The Good:

While Morrisonn used to be seen as the perfect foil for the more freewheeling Mike Green, he spent time paired with a number of other D during last season, including Brian Pothier, Tom Poti, and John Carlson. Finally, he settled in with Joe Corvo after the trade deadline, and managed to effectively mop up some of the latter's deficiencies in his own end. (Meaning, ShaMo often took the body of the opposing puck carrier -- freeing the biscuit for a teammate to carry it out of the zone -- when Corvo was unable to do so.)

He was an effective penalty killer, roughly as much so as Jeff Schultz. His TOI/G shorthanded in 2009-10 came down a bit from the prior season, but he was still solidly the third D option on the PK, right behind the customary pair of Poti and Schultz.

Finally, there's an edge to Morrisonn's game that sometimes goes overlooked amongst fans. First, and most obvious, are the hit totals. But just as important, Mo was always one of first guys in a scrum when a teammate was roughed up. And with gloves off, even when he was overmatched.

The Bad:

Morrisonn provides valuable depth at his position, but simply has not shown a varied enough skill set to justify his salary. And even as a stay-at-home rearguard, he still logged the worst even-strength GAON/60 of all Caps' D save for Karl Alzner (in a difficult, up-and-down year for Karl). In fact, his GAON/60 was the 15th-highest ratio of all defensemen in the league who played at least 60 games in 2009-10.

A complete lack of offense, or even getting shots to the net, this past season, unfortunately, revealed Morrisonn's game to be quite like the "one-dimensional" game described in his 2008 summer arbitration hearing. You know, the one that awarded him a 130% raise, and the $1.975 million per season salary that he's enjoyed for two straight campaigns.

he's got a lot to do to prove he's worth his new paycheck.

I think it means Weber isn't ready for prime time, no matter how often certain sportswriters claim he is. It also means Sekera, Butler and Weber are all going for the same spot.

Separately: I have a hard time believing some big move for a forward is in the offing. Maybe today's moves just mean (i) DR likes Gerbe at $850K more than he likes Kennedy at $1MM and (ii) Lindy and DR aren't confident with the young defensemen.

I noticed this guy was paired with Greene in Washington. I wonder if he is Myers new defense partner? They need a guy to back up Myers when he takes off, maybe.

For the first three years after the lockout, he was playing over 20 minutes per game without any PP time. He was also paired with Mike Green for a lot of that, allowing Green to become the offense force that he has become by holding down the fort, so to speak. People have suggested that Kaberle would be a good partner for Myers, but I'd rather have him paired with someone who is solid in his own end, allowing Myers the freedom to do what he does, jumping into the play, while still being a shut-down pairing. Is Morrisonn that guy? I don't know. Maybe, someday Weber will be, but we'll have to see how things pan out this year.

Oh, you beat me to it! :oops:

The only one I question on that list is Gragnani, but if you remember, Darcy stated back early in the off season that he felt both Weber and Gragnani would push for roster spots. I have to wonder if he wasn't pumping up their value to the media.

Weber looked decent this past season in Portland, and Gragnani was not bad either, but I have to believe 1 or possibily 2 of these guys are on the move. Who knows, maybe even a roster D man is in the mix on this.

But I can confirm based on simple math right now that there are to many D men in the mix here.

Like I said, maybe Gragnani back in Portland, but Weber, Sekera and Bulter all fighting for a spot.

I think one thing is almost a lock, Kaberle to Buffalo probably isn't going to happen unless Burke is taking back a couple of young D men. I don't know, anything is possible I guess.

We need to look beyond the NHL guys too. So far we have:

Rivet

Myers

Montador

Leopold

Morrisonn

Butler

Sekera

Weber

Gragnani

and then...

Brennan

Schiestel

Biega

Persson

Crawford

I'm sure I missed someone at the AHL level, but if you suddenly add Weber and Gragnani to that list, that's an awfully full house down in Portland already. They're not going to carry so many that someone will have to be assigned the the ECHL. Something has to give here.

We need to look beyond the NHL guys too. So far we have:

Rivet

Myers

Montador

Leopold

Morrisonn

Butler

Sekera

Weber

Gragnani

and then...

Brennan

Schiestel

Biega

Persson

Crawford

I'm sure I missed someone at the AHL level, but if you suddenly add Weber and Gragnani to that list, that's an awfully full house down in Portland already. They're not going to carry so many that someone will have to be assigned the the ECHL. Something has to give here.

That is my thinking as well. Something has to give.

So we essentially replace Tallinder and Lydman with Leopold and Morrisonn. At best a wash. Some bucks are saved, but this is not an improvement on last year. And blocking a couple young guys from valuabale NHL experience doesn't help in the long run, either. Someone is going to get Paetsch-ified (i.e. stunted in the press box).

You would think the Myers experience would have emboldened Darcy to give some young gun a legit chance this year, especially on the cheap. Looks unlikely now.

Otis

So we essentially replace Tallinder and Lydman with Leopold and Morrisonn. At best a wash. Some bucks are saved, but this is not an improvement on last year. And blocking a couple young guys from valuabale NHL experience doesn't help in the long run, either. Someone is going to get Paetsch-ified (i.e. stunted in the press box).

You would think the Myers experience would have emboldened Darcy to give some young gun a legit chance this year, especially on the cheap. Looks unlikely now.

Otis

I'm not so sure about that. I often thought that Tallinder was playing great because he was a UFA at the end of the year. Lydman's play, I liked a lot--especially the two goals he saved when Miller was out of place--but in Morrisonn, the Sabres got a younger replacement for him who might be better. Leopold, I think, is going to be better than Tallinder.

I'm not so sure about that. I often thought that Tallinder was playing great because he was a UFA at the end of the year. Lydman's play, I liked a lot--especially the two goals he saved when Miller was out of place--but in Morrisonn, the Sabres got a younger replacement for him who might be better. Leopold, I think, is going to be better than Tallinder.

I hope so, but this is Leopold's fifth team since 2008. By most criteria, that's the signpost of a journeyman.

Otis

With Andy Sutton heading to Anaheim, and Shaone Morrisonn arriving in Buffalo, please permit me to uncross my fingers and ask the obvious question:

Did the Sabres pick up the best of the available defensive defensemen?

My answer is no. Last year - in 72 games - Sutton had 204 blocked shots and 197 hits, while Morrisonn had 104 blocked shots and 164 hits in 68 games. Those numbers suggest not only that Sutton is still a very effective defensive defenseman, but that he is still - even with the significant age difference - a more effective defenseman than Morrisonn. Plus you can add the fact that Sutton is more physical, and intimidating.* Sutton has never needed to be "prodded" to play a physical game.**

Given a choice between Andy Sutton or Shaone Morrisonn - for the next two years - at a similar price, I would go with Sutton, the age difference notwithstanding.

*A quick perusal of Andy's greatest hits on YouTube will provide some evidence.

** Howard Simon spoke this morning with a gentleman who follows the Washington Capitals who talked about Morrisonn sometimes needing to be "prodded" to play a physical game. Another Hal Gill, have we?

Agree 100%, Otto.

Sutton is flat out nasty. Would be nice to have someone like that come playoff time when the front of the net is where games are won or lost.

Otis, especially today - with teams thinking they can save money in net* - you have to have someone like Andy Sutton who will make life a little easier for whoever is in the net. Ideally, I would have two defenseman who could provide that service - who would be paired off with more offensively minded defensemen.

* see Chicago

Otis, especially today - with teams thinking they can save money in net* - you have to have someone like Andy Sutton who will make life a little easier for whoever is in the net. Ideally, I would have two defenseman who could provide that service - who would be paired off with more offensively minded defensemen.

* see Chicago

Exactly. And much as I dislike him, Pronger kept the net clear for two average goalies and the Flyers almost won the cup.

Exactly. And much as I dislike him, Pronger kept the net clear for two average goalies and the Flyers almost won the cup.

Imagine the Flyers' defense with both Pronger and Sutton. They could have won with Theodore.

Archived