Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Really? I think MacArthur is easily capable of 12-15 goals.. maybe even 20 since he'll be depended on a little more given Toronto's weak offense.

yeah? and how did that work out when the Sabres were depending on him for Top 6 numbers?

It seems to me that its the arbitration process that is broken. The arbitrator awards these stupid contracts to players based on what a similar player is getting who was overpayed in the first place sometimes because of what an arbitrator awarded. If the team doesn't want to lose said player or their investment in that player they begrudgingly match and in doing so help drive up salarys. Its a vicious cycle. How do you get around the use of an arbitrator who in alot of cases knows dick about what he's ruling on? Does anyone have ideas on what may be a better system?

It seems to me that its the arbitration process that is broken. The arbitrator awards these stupid contracts to players based on what a similar player is getting who was overpayed in the first place sometimes because of what an arbitrator awarded. If the team doesn't want to lose said player or their investment in that player they begrudgingly match and in doing so help drive up salarys. Its a vicious cycle. How do you get around the use of an arbitrator who in alot of cases knows dick about what he's ruling on? Does anyone have ideas on what may be a better system?

Teams not accepting the awards seems 2 be doing the trick. The vicious cycle IMO is going to take a year or two to wind itself down. Arby's next year will say to themselves, "this guys worth 2.4 but last year no one signed the 2.4 or gave him 1.5"

It is the end of the middle class player when it comes to pay.

For anyone interested, MacArthur will be on Fan 590 in Toronto today at 2:20pm....

He practiced with the RIT men's team today for some reason. According to our former goalie Jared DeMichael, "Toronto's new man Clarke MacArthur skated with the boys today, let's just say they got a deal at 1.1 mil for the year, he can play"

Word on the street is that the Devils have submitted a new contract to the NHL for Kovy. Dreger et al are saying it's around 110 mill for 15 years.
Word on the street: Stempniak signs two year deal with Yotes.

where is this street of yours? :nana:

(no, seriously: where do you go for your rumours?)

Tim Kennedy signs a 1 year deal with the New York Rangers per Shawn Stepner. Good luck Timmy!

one-way for $550k.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/08/kennedy-lands-with-rangers.html

vindication for management? i'd say it smells like it.

Sure as hell smells like vindication to me - sucks that we have to lose the asset to prove the point that the arbitration system is a joke. The team declining an arbitration award should still get a right to match the contract (if its less than the arb award) if the player gets an offer from another team.

Archived