Will the Sabres make a real trade before 8 PM on Friday?

nfreeman

Give the people what they want.  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Everyone wants to see the Sabres bring in a good player. The draft is on Friday. The first flurry of trades has begun. Will the Sabres make a real trade by Friday night? The question is not what do you want to happen -- it's what is going to ha...

• Yes
    • No

To be clear, the question is whether the Sabres will bring in an impact player by Friday night. "Impact player" is obviously hard to define, but I would go with the "I know it when I see it" standard. So, for example, Kaberle, Horton or Sharp would qualify, but not Grier or Montador.

It's hard to be optimistic about this one.

To be clear, the question is whether the Sabres will bring in an impact player by Friday night. "Impact player" is obviously hard to define, but I would go with the "I know it when I see it" standard. So, for example, Kaberle, Horton or Sharp would qualify, but not Grier or Montador.

No. Not by Friday and just as likely not at all. I think the Sabres see Miller and Vanek as the only "impact" players they need.

Darcy has expressed a desire to make some moves this off season, but I don't honestly believe he has the confidence to make moves that would include true "impact" players.

I see it running this way,

Darcy is unable to dump Connolly, he than signs a 3/4 line RWer, a 3/4 line Center then calls up Gragnani and Weber.

He then claims it was a very successful off season and (knowing its his last season as the Sabres GM) claims there weren't any deals to be had or they were just to expensive to the organization. :thumbdown:

I can't see Darcy making a deal before Friday. I could see him making a deal on draft day if he makes one. I hope pray to the heavens that he acquires some new blood. But don't see it before draft day.

I can't see Darcy making a deal before Friday. I could see him making a deal on draft day if he makes one. I hope pray to the heavens that he acquires some new blood. But don't see it before draft day.

To be clear, the question was meant to cover deals before OR ON draft day (thus the 8PM on Friday, which is the first day of the draft).

I said yes, but I'd rather see it go

1)get rid of Connolly for picks to a team that has high draft position in an area you think you can maximize your shortcomings, ie center, big d. Don't wait till the trade deadline to get rid of this guy.

2) use the freed up salary and cap to go big enough in FA to make a difference.

I said yes, but I'd rather see it go

1)get rid of Connolly for picks to a team that has high draft position in an area you think you can maximize your shortcomings, ie center, big d. Don't wait till the trade deadline to get rid of this guy.

2) use the freed up salary and cap to go big enough in FA to make a difference.

If anything happens in the next couple days, this is exactly what I would expect. It wouldn't necessarily be about bringing someone in as much as it is moving someone out for picks that they can use immediately. They'd much rather have that prospect in the pipeline now as opposed to waiting the extra year.

Darcy will do something this weekend. He's not that gun shy. I'm not saying he's going to bring in Carter, Byfuglien, and Fleischmann, but I do think he'll step up to the plate.

Personally I'd love to see Pomminstein, Stafford, and Connolly leave. I'd trade Roy for the right price too.

Darcy will do something this weekend. He's not that gun shy. I'm not saying he's going to bring in Carter, Byfuglien, and Fleischmann, but I do think he'll step up to the plate.

Personally I'd love to see Pomminstein, Stafford, and Connolly leave. I'd trade Roy for the right price too.

I think Stafford is the only one who could be gone. Considering he said that signing Tim Connolly was better then a trade only last year, I can't see Connolly going anywhere. Darcy will continue to hold back the Sabres.

I think Stafford is the only one who could be gone. Considering he said that signing Tim Connolly was better then a trade only last year, I can't see Connolly going anywhere. Darcy will continue to hold back the Sabres.

His tone in the post-season wrap up, specifically with Connolly was completely different than anything we've heard before. The message got through to him.

His tone in the post-season wrap up, specifically with Connolly was completely different than anything we've heard before. The message got through to him.

I will be shocked and extremely disappointed if either Connolly or Roy are not traded this offseason.

They need to make a splash but they won't.

I voted yes although I don't think the 8pm deadline is that important.

I didn't mean to ascribe any special importance to 8 PM. The significance is the end of the 1st round of the draft. If DR doesn't make a real trade by then, the odds of one happening this summer drop substantially.

I will be shocked and extremely disappointed if either Connolly or Roy are not traded this offseason.

I'm with you on "extremely disappointed" but regrettably not on "shocked."

Make a trade? Maybe

Make one for an impact player or a decent pick that gets rid of one of the underachievers? Highly doubtful.

He will have a press conference talking about how he didn't expect this flurry of deals and that the asking prices are just way too high, then mention how the current Sabres are just young and will continue to grow, and bounce back from their off years last year. the majority will agree that teams overpaid for guys that are "mediocre" like Horton, and Bfuglyn (or however its spelled) and believe that Darcy did all he could and was right to stand pat instead of giving up on guys like Roy, Stafford, and Connolly

Not a chance in ###### - Darcy is too busy putting the finishing touches on his draft board. If everything goes according to plan, he will choose 8 defensemen in the first 6 rounds. He is really struggling to determine who is worthy of being the 9th.

With the signing of Pav and Marleau in SJ, Darcy's ability to do anything just keep getting smaller and smaller. He's running out of any significant options.

But, as others have pointed out, maybe he pulls off an unknown. Maybe he's working a deal none of us thought of.

All I know is, Dallas has yet to deal with the Rebiero/Richards situation. Richards has a year left, so no hurry there.

Maybe Darcy deals with Dallas. I really don't see many more teams willing to deal with Regier.

Archived