2011 NHL Draft

deluca67

beat me to it.

it's "its" here, but I cannot deny the eerily familiar feel.

I disagree on the rest of the post but the dry-humping joke was pretty funny.

Aren't you choosing to ignore the #4 in GAA and #2 in PK in favor of other, much more subjective stats?

Even if Darcy sits on the couch for the rest of the summer, there is NFW this team finishes 10th next year. I'll even say there is NFW they are worse than 6th.

[/size]

How do you know it's a good summary? You calling it a good summary means you agree with the substantive analysis in it. Did you watch him play?

1st bold - I am not ignoring the stats you mentioned. I omitted stats that Miller directly affected. My focus and my point was strictly on those stats that reflect on the defense in front of Miller.

2nd bold - If Miller plays at the same level I will agree here. If Miller is hurt for any great length of time of his game slips a bit do you still feel the same?

If Miller gets hurt, I say finally that might be the end of Regier, because the Sabres will go straight downhill and maybe it could be the best of both worlds... losing Darcy and gaining a higher round pick as long as Miller is not permanently disabled.

Sorry writing in run-on phrases at this time of night

1st bold - I am not ignoring the stats you mentioned. I omitted stats that Miller directly affected. My focus and my point was strictly on those stats that reflect on the defense in front of Miller.

2nd bold - If Miller plays at the same level I will agree here. If Miller is hurt for any great length of time of his game slips a bit do you still feel the same?

Stats that are unofficial and for which no correlation has been shown.

Miller directly affected those stats, but the defensemen did so too -- roughly as much as Miller did.

I agree that if Miller were to miss, say, the entire 2nd half of the season the Sabres would be screwed. But his game would have to slip more than a bit for the Sabres to finish 10th.

Unless Miller has a major injury, I think the Habs and Senators will slip more next season than the Sabres will.

Good summary of Pysyk:

At least he has a good ability to move the puck up the ice...But the lack of intensity and softness makes me think of...KALININ :bag:

If that summary is accurate, this was a horrible pick. The last thing the Sabres need is a player who is "soft" or "lacks intensity." We've had plenty of "soft" teams over the years (especially recently) and where has that gotten us? I'd much rather have a guy whose game needs some work but plays like a madman when he's out there. ######, I'd rather have a thug like Kassian. If we just drafted another guy who is going to stand by with a indifferent, Hindu-cow-esque look on his face while our goalie gets run, then eff that.

I hope to ###### that summary is dead wrong. But nothing would surprise me given the roster we've gone with since 2007.

As for Regier, is it time to wonder if he's capable of assembling a team that can win the Cup yet? He's had 13 years. All of his recent trades have sucked, and the last time he pulled off a significant trade that was even close to gutsy was when he got Drury SEVEN YEARS AGO. I'm ready for a new GM with some new ideas.

How do you know it's a good summary? You calling it a good summary means you agree with the substantive analysis in it. Did you watch him play?

I just thought it was interesting to hear some detailed input on the player.

You may further explore the source to determine whether or not it's valid if you so desire: http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/2010/06/mark-pysyk-rd-edmonton-whl.html

Either way, it was a safe draft pick I suppose. Perhaps he turns out to be a top 4 dman, perhaps not. I just feel like the Sabres already have a surplus of ho-hum dmen in the system.

Unless Miller has a major injury, I think the Habs and Senators will slip more next season than the Sabres will.

The Sabres may have actually benefitted the last time Miller missed time. He missed a bunch of games in early 2006, and the end result was he had some gas left in the tank for the playoffs (where he played really well). We've pretty much run Miller into the ground each of the past three seasons.

I still have no idea what the Sabres plan was this past season. Have Miller play almost every game, and two weeks of Olympic hockey, before leading the Sabres to glory for two months in the playoffs? Was that how we were supposed to win the Stanley Cup?

Stats that are unofficial and for which no correlation has been shown.

Shots against : Chicago 1st overall - Buffalo 21st

Takeaways : Chicago 5th overall - Buffalo 23rd

Giveaways : Chicago 24th overall - Buffalo 3rd

Blocked shots : Chicago 17th - Buffalo 23rd

Hits : Chicago 25th - Buffalo 30th

You are right. There is no correlation between the stats I mentioned and the success of the teams. You do believe in the T-Rex don't you?

You may have wanted more, but in reality, just as I did not want them to pick (especially a defenseman) the bottom line still comes down to the needs of the team. And "NOT THE FUTURE NEEDS" but the needs of what it will take to be competitive to win LORD STANLEYS CUP!

If you're not interested in the future needs of the team, why are you even in the draft thread? I read posts like this one and I can't help but think you're bordering on a Ditka like trade where you unload an entire class of draft picks for one guy that will help right now. They drafted a guy today, I guess that means they have no interest in winning right now. 25 or so teams must feel the same exact way because 29 other players were drafted today, with only one guy who seems like a lock to jump right in and contribute immediately.

You are right. There is no correlation between the stats I mentioned and the success of the teams. You do believe in the T-Rex don't you?

Funny, all year long you trumpted hits and blocked shots until you saw that wasn't working so you added the first three to your rants. You still can't show any direct correlation between your stats and winning.

Compound that with the fact that THE STATS ARE ARBITRARY, CALCULATED BY PART TIME OFF ICE OFFICIALS USING 5 LAP TOPS ALLOWED TO INTREPET WHAT IS WHAT....

The only stat that matters is wins and losses. When they start awarding points for what John Smith records on his lap top, give me a call.

Miller directly affected those stats, but the defensemen did so too -- roughly as much as Miller did.

I agree that if Miller were to miss, say, the entire 2nd half of the season the Sabres would be screwed. But his game would have to slip more than a bit for the Sabres to finish 10th.

They do to a point. I think back on this season and I can't remember may easy nights for Miller. I said it during the season. Miller bailed out this defense almost on a nightly basis with exceptions here and there. It's why he has the Vezina.

You may right about the Sens and Habs. I know this is completely unfair but I fell their off-seasons are not over. I kind of feel the Sabres off-season is. A few minor moves maybe, not feeling the big move is coming.

I'm not sure you should be crowing about your theory based on the above. The cup winner did below average in one of your stats and downright poorly in another -- so right off the bat, 40% of your stats do not correlate with success.

As for shots against -- the Sabres finished 21st, as you pointed out, with 31.4 per game. That was exactly 2 shots per game more than Detroit, who finished 9th with 29.4. I don't think giving up 2 more shots per game is that big of a difference as to be indicative of the quality of a team's defensemen.

So that leaves takeaways and giveaways. Those are both unofficial and highly subjective stats. But even if they were objectively maintained and accurate, both takeaways and giveaways are often committed by forwards (and I'd expect occasionally by goaltenders) -- so these aren't stats that can be reliably considered as indicative of the performance of a group of defensemen. Got any data as to how the Sabres' defensemen rank in those stats?

Funny, all year long you trumpted hits and blocked shots until you saw that wasn't working so you added the first three to your rants. You still can't show any direct correlation between your stats and winning.

Compound that with the fact that THE STATS ARE ARBITRARY, CALCULATED BY PART TIME OFF ICE OFFICIALS USING 5 LAP TOPS ALLOWED TO INTREPET WHAT IS WHAT....

The only stat that matters is wins and losses. When they start awarding points for what John Smith records on his lap top, give me a call.

I will when I figure out how to upload a picture of the Hawks and the Stanley Cup. It's OK son I am done. Here, toss this switch on the trash heap. This whupping is done.

You may right about the Sens and Habs. I know this is completely unfair but I fell their off-seasons are not over. I kind of feel the Sabres off-season is. A few minor moves maybe, not feeling the big move is coming.

If there is another big move in the Sens' offseason, it is likely to be a Spezza trade, which is likely to leave them weaker, not stronger.

Back to Pysyk: I was listening to Puck Podcast (which is a hockey podcast I highly recommend) this evening. They were doing their draft preview show and had a draft expert. They asked him for a sleeper pick for the draft and who does he name but Pysyk. He said he sees him as a #2 or #3 NHL defenseman.

So there we go!

I'm not sure you should be crowing about your theory based on the above. The cup winner did below average in one of your stats and downright poorly in another -- so right off the bat, 40% of your stats do not correlate with success.

As for shots against -- the Sabres finished 21st, as you pointed out, with 31.4 per game. That was exactly 2 shots per game more than Detroit, who finished 9th with 29.4. I don't think giving up 2 more shots per game is that big of a difference as to be indicative of the quality of a team's defensemen.

So that leaves takeaways and giveaways. Those are both unofficial and highly subjective stats. But even if they were objectively maintained and accurate, both takeaways and giveaways are often committed by forwards (and I'd expect occasionally by goaltenders) -- so these aren't stats that can be reliably considered as indicative of the performance of a group of defensemen. Got any data as to how the Sabres' defensemen rank in those stats?

I can only present the statistical data. If you want to pick out point of data or another that's fine. You're smart enough to see a pattern.

It's not 40% of data, it's only 20%. The Hawks are great at puck possession and defensive end coverage. Their shots against and blocked shots really do go together. This is a team that is middle of the road on blocked shots and yet still only allowed 25 shots per game. That tells me that teams don't control the puck in the Hawks zone as much as they do in the Sabres zone.

Did you say Detroit. They have a interesting pattern.

9th in shots allowed.

8th in hits.

7th in giveaways

12 in takeaways

last in blocked shots.

They also had a goalie many thought should have been a Vezina finalist.

Back to Pysyk: I was listening to Puck Podcast (which is a hockey podcast I highly recommend) this evening. They were doing their draft preview show and had a draft expert. They asked him for a sleeper pick for the draft and who does he name but Pysyk. He said he sees him as a #2 or #3 NHL defenseman.

So there we go!

Agreed.

Sometimes safe can mean solid. This is a good pick and the Sabres scouts should feel good about the pick. My only concern is that he is joining a franchise that seems to have issues developing d-men.

Good pick at #23. The kid can skate and has a head for the game - probably the two most important attributes in the NHL. Sounds like he carried his crappy team with huge minutes, too. I like it.

WTF, though, these kids are so young it's hard to say what will happen to everyone not in the top 5.

Sounds like Pysyk was the best player available, so I'm pleased.

I had to attend my stepson's graduation and so I just finished watching the first round of the draft on the DVR.

It sucked.

You could visibly see the pissed-off expression on Darcy's face when he was chatting with Lamoriello of the Devils. It was obvious that he was skunked by Mtl. Two years ago he jumped one spot to make sure he got Myers. This year Tinordi was obviously his guy given who had gone before, but he didn't want him enough to make the same deal. But do they pick a forward, which they sorely need? No....

Pissick will someday be a top defenseman - for Portland.

This, combined with last year's stupid pick of Kassian (done to put people in the stands, not to win a Cup) has me totally disgusted with this organization.

The good news is they had the sense not to take Merrill...but that's poor compensation.

Pysyk, as with any pick outside of the top 10, is a roll of the dice.

My concern is not necessarily the pick itself, but Darcy's failure to utilize it to bring immediate help to the team.

I'm sorry, but this team is not defensemen diffecient. Just an opinion.

As for any type of trade situation, ya, I am extremely discouraged and dissappointed by the lack of potential moves by Darcy to do anything to better the team now as opposed to the future. It truly is disheartening to see this happening.

As much as I b!tch about Dr, this is a good pick. I like the players style. More write-up are good than bad, what do you want for the 23rd pick? The Sabres have a scout that lives in Edmonton and has seen him play a lot. I trust this pick over Tinordi.

BTW: Generous and Kostka, both Dmen and RFA's were NOT given qualifying offers.

As much as I b!tch about Dr, this is a good pick. I like the players style. More write-up are good than bad, what do you want for the 23rd pick? The Sabres have a scout that lives in Edmonton and has seen him play a lot. I trust this pick over Tinordi.

BTW: Generous and Kostka, both Dmen and RFA's were NOT given qualifying offers.

The bold line is just the point. If we really wanted a better player what are we doing with a 23rd pick? Other teams moved up, why couldn't we? Obviously even Phx's 22nd spot was in play.

Tinordi is considered to be a natural leader - something every team could use, while Pissick is described as having "limited upside". Mtl thought enough of him to jump to nr. 22 to snag him and it is obvious Darcy was hoping to get him.

Archived