2011 NHL Draft

deluca67

5th round pick - Gregg Sutch

40 - Greg Sutch - Right Wing - Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors

Feb-9-1992 - 6’2” - 193 lbs.

Scouting Report: Sutch is an inspirational story, however this year injuries and the inability to get the ball rolling made this one a disappointing season, however he had a decent playoff. Sutch is legally deaf so the only way he’s able to play at this level is his outstanding hockey sense and anticipation. He’s a physically imposing opponent who can punish the opposition with his hitting as well as his willingness to fight. He drives to the net hard, and has a decent shot. He will have a long path and will have several obstacles to overcome but he has the hockey sense and the ability to do so. He is very likely to get drafted, but besides his disability, he will need to improve on his skating over the summer and he will need to try to stay healthy and put up some respectable numbers before being considered a legitimate prospect.

Scouting Report: Sutch is an inspirational story, however this year injuries and the inability to get the ball rolling made this one a disappointing season, however he had a decent playoff. Sutch is legally deaf so the only way he’s able to play at this level is his outstanding hockey sense and anticipation. He’s a physically imposing opponent who can punish the opposition with his hitting as well as his willingness to fight. He drives to the net hard, and has a decent shot. He will have a long path and will have several obstacles to overcome but he has the hockey sense and the ability to do so. He is very likely to get drafted, but besides his disability, he will need to improve on his skating over the summer and he will need to try to stay healthy and put up some respectable numbers before being considered a legitimate prospect.

Apparently the fan base in Rochester has been lacking :P

For some reason, no one is updating the draft anymore. NHL.com, tsn.ca, they've all stopped at the same pick in the 4th even though the 5th has already started.

Oh, and the Devils drafted a guy named Faust. I can't wait until they sign him. Those headlines will get a few laughs.

lol. Would love to see him on a line with Miro Satan.

Looking at the size of the players drafted this year so far it looks like they can all share a wardrobe.

Being deaf shouldn't be a problem. Derrick Roy is doing fine and he goes deaf every time Lindy says something to him.

Wonder if Sutch plays past the whistle?

According to WGR he does.

Sutch was born with a 'sever to profound' hearing loss, and wheres hearing aids to help amplify the sounds of the whistles and yells of the coaching staff. Even so, his hearing aids don't help Sutch catch everything, so his physical style of play sometimes results in a late hit.

WTF??? Now we're drafting the handicapped? Is this the Equal Opportunity NHL?

Before you all go off on me, let me state that this kid has loads of guts to even be considered for the draft. My hat goes off to him. He obviously has a lot of courage and gumption.

Having said that, what in the world is Darcy thinking? This sport is extremely difficult to play when all 5 senses are working, let alone only 4. No way this kid makes it given the level of competition he is facing. Hitting or shooting the puck after the whistle will become a real problem for the other team - and the refs.

This is just common sense.

while i understand you sentiments, a little, the kid obviously has superior talent. Taking a flier on the kid in the late rounds is hardly a waste. I'm rooting for him. If a one arm man can pitch in the majors, and a deaf man can play in the NFL, I think this kid has a chance. At the very least, and it matters, the Sabres just expanded their fan base to a large population base that would otherwise not give a crap about our team or sport.

Before you all go off on me, let me state that this kid has loads of guts to even be considered for the draft. My hat goes off to him. He obviously has a lot of courage and gumption.

Having said that, what in the world is Darcy thinking? This sport is extremely difficult to play when all 5 senses are working, let alone only 4. No way this kid makes it given the level of competition he is facing. Hitting or shooting the puck after the whistle will become a real problem for the other team - and the refs.

It's nothing new. They drafted Gerbe and he's mentally handicapped.

Well no midgets no Euros, I'll consider that a success.

Would have preferred Dylan McIlrath and Bradley Ross be wearing Sabre uniforms. Hopefully some of the kids they drafted can bring the character and toughness this team sorely lacks in years to come.

Best goaltender I've ever played against was deaf. Coming from a college with a large deaf population I have no doubt the kid is a gamer. And look at ufc fighter Matt hamill, an mma champion from RIT who is deaf.

Let's leave the jury in on this kid till we see him in the system. Who knows what can happen.

Best goaltender I've ever played against was deaf. Coming from a college with a large deaf population I have no doubt the kid is a gamer. And look at ufc fighter Matt hamill, an mma champion from RIT who is deaf.

Let's leave the jury in on this kid till we see him in the system. Who knows what can happen.

Was that by design? Did the school specialize if educating the hearing impaired?

A deaf goalie has a much better chance than a deft forward or dman. When he makes the save, the play stops. He knows what's going on because he reacts to the action, not initiates it.

The other players need to initiate and so they need to be aware of the whistles.

In the UFC the only handicap to being deaf is that you can't hear your corner's advice while someone is laying on you. Other than that, it's fight until the ref says stop. Not the same thing as playing in a team sport.

Hey! I'm sure the kid is good...he'd have to be to get this far...but can he make it to the NHL? I tend to think not.

And let's not forget that there are different levels of deafness.

Was that by design? Did the school specialize if educating the hearing impaired?

Yes and yes. RIT has, among other things, the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) and offers interpreters (sign language) to students in any class.

Archived