2011 NHL Draft

deluca67

I would like to start the band wagon for Dylan McIlrath, D, Moose Jaw (WHL) to be the Sabres #1 pick in this years draft. They should do whatever it takes to move up and draft this kid. According to the Hockey News (mag, not site - sorry no link) he slapped around fellow projected first round pick Alexander Petrovic so bad he took his will to play the game away. He is so bad that none of the older kids in WHL will go near him.

I would like to start the band wagon for Dylan McIlrath, D, Moose Jaw (WHL) to be the Sabres #1 pick in this years draft. They should do whatever it takes to move up and draft this kid. According to the Hockey News (mag, not site - sorry no link) he slapped around fellow projected first round pick Alexander Petrovic so bad he took his will to play the game away. He is so bad that none of the older kids in WHL will go near him.

Are you sure you are not Ted Nolan?

Are you sure you are not Ted Nolan?

I know players of this ilk ruffle your delicate sensibilities. Maybe some day you and Darcy will realize that talent and toughness are not mutually exclusive.

Here is what some of the "experts" say :

"Big and mean, old-time typical NHL defenseman. He scares people not only with some frequent fights he might get in, but with 6-4, 212 lbs. straight ahead speed and offensive ability to match. Often, and in a very complimentary sense, makes puck carriers cut to the other side of the ice with his intimidating size."

- E.J. McGuire, Director NHL Central Scouting

"Established himself as one of the most feared enforcers in the WHL this year while playing solid, stay-at-home defense. Tremendous fighter - put a beating on most opponents he dropped the gloves with. Skating is still a concern, but there was quite a bit of improvement in his stride this season. ... Underrated puck ability and makes a first good pass. Defensive zone play and physical game are his strengths. Good positioning. Really effective using long reach to disrupt puck carriers. Big open ice hitter and just nasty along the boards and near the crease. Can struggle to contain speedy forwards at times."

- Red Line Report 2010 Draft Guide

"He flat out intimidates with his style of play and is always trying to assert himself physically. McIlrath can contain forwards in all areas of the ice, especially down low. McIlrath needs to work on his puck skills as he handles it like a grenade. He fails to find his options and relies primarily on a 'glass and out' approach. He does, however, have a great slap shot. McIlrath is a work in progress but oozes character and fulfills a role many NHL teams will covet."

- McKeen's 2010 NHL Draft Guide

"I don't think many of the older guys in the league were messing with this guy. This is the toughest junior league and guys were intimidated by this kid."

- A scout, quoted in The Hockey News Draft Preview 2010

I know players of this ilk ruffle your delicate sensibilities. Maybe some day you and Darcy will realize that talent and toughness are not mutually exclusive.

Here is what some of the "experts" say :

"Big and mean, old-time typical NHL defenseman. He scares people not only with some frequent fights he might get in, but with 6-4, 212 lbs. straight ahead speed and offensive ability to match. Often, and in a very complimentary sense, makes puck carriers cut to the other side of the ice with his intimidating size."

- E.J. McGuire, Director NHL Central Scouting

"Established himself as one of the most feared enforcers in the WHL this year while playing solid, stay-at-home defense. Tremendous fighter - put a beating on most opponents he dropped the gloves with. Skating is still a concern, but there was quite a bit of improvement in his stride this season. ... Underrated puck ability and makes a first good pass. Defensive zone play and physical game are his strengths. Good positioning. Really effective using long reach to disrupt puck carriers. Big open ice hitter and just nasty along the boards and near the crease. Can struggle to contain speedy forwards at times."

- Red Line Report 2010 Draft Guide

"He flat out intimidates with his style of play and is always trying to assert himself physically. McIlrath can contain forwards in all areas of the ice, especially down low. McIlrath needs to work on his puck skills as he handles it like a grenade. He fails to find his options and relies primarily on a 'glass and out' approach. He does, however, have a great slap shot. McIlrath is a work in progress but oozes character and fulfills a role many NHL teams will covet."

- McKeen's 2010 NHL Draft Guide

"I don't think many of the older guys in the league were messing with this guy. This is the toughest junior league and guys were intimidated by this kid."

- A scout, quoted in The Hockey News Draft Preview 2010

First, I have no problem with players of his ilk, provided his talent merits selection.

Second, somehow people on this board seem to forget how much of a crap shoot these guys are. The NHL draft makes the NFL draft look like an exact science.

First, I have no problem with players of his ilk, provided his talent merits selection.

Second, somehow people on this board seem to forget how much of a crap shoot these guys are. The NHL draft makes the NFL draft look like an exact science.

That shouldn't change how you approach the draft. You draft players that bring qualities to the team that you need. Sticking to that philosophy is important.

That shouldn't change how you approach the draft. You draft players that bring qualities to the team that you need. Sticking to that philosophy is important.

But is it what your current team needs or what your system needs? What a team needs today at the NHL level is not necessarily what you need 3 years down the road. This team is currently a bit thin on prospects that can score. They may be better served trying to find that in the early rounds.

But is it what your current team needs or what your system needs? What a team needs today at the NHL level is not necessarily what you need 3 years down the road. This team is currently a bit thin on prospects that can score. They may be better served trying to find that in the early rounds.

It should always go to what the core values are. You should always draft players that adhere to those values. I don't want to hear my coach say anything about playing out of character. Heart, toughness and the willingness to sellout your body should be as clear in your top line as it is on the fourth.

It should always go to what the core values are. You should always draft players that adhere to those values. I don't want to hear my coach say anything about playing out of character. Heart, toughness and the willingness to sellout your body should be as clear in your top line as it is on the fourth.

Agree with this post -- but the big question is...what are our core values? For as well as we adjusted and were ready for after the lockout...we haven't adjusted since.

Bigger to me ... the core values of the league have always included toughness and put a premium on character in April and May. We didn't have enough of that this year.

Darcy and co lucked into that, nothing was done by design.

Absolutely correct. There was no way that Darcy had drafted and traded years prior to 05-06 knowing that the "new" NHL was just around the corner.

As far as the draft goes, anything other than a scoring forward(preferably a center over 6') will be a huge disappointment to me, There is little scoring coming up in the system. I am not counting Ennis as he is a given to be on the Sabres next season. Adam, Kassian(maybe) and ????

If you disagree, go to www.sabresprospects.com and check it out.

Absolutely correct. There was no way that Darcy had drafted and traded years prior to 05-06 knowing that the "new" NHL was just around the corner.

As far as the draft goes, anything other than a scoring forward(preferably a center over 6') will be a huge disappointment to me, There is little scoring coming up in the system. I am not counting Ennis as he is a given to be on the Sabres next season. Adam, Kassian(maybe) and ????

If you disagree, go to www.sabresprospects.com and check it out.

Even if it's a 6' 4" stay at home defenseman with a legit mean streak?

Do we think Weber is ready to finally make the jump up to the NHL? I know he's had some injury issues. He looked real good to me a couple years back when he was up for a bunch of games, whats the word on the street so to speak?

I disagree. We don't need McIlrath, we already have Kassian. And how's that working out for us?

We're not trying to draft more Dave Shultz like players. We're trying to draft tough guys who can score and perform in the playoffs. The days of the Broad Street Bullies is over. I hope the Sabres staff have learned their lesson in Kassian and let McIlrath go.

From my point of view we should try to get Granlund.

I disagree. We don't need McIlrath, we already have Kassian. And how's that working out for us?

We're not trying to draft more Dave Shultz like players. We're trying to draft tough guys who can score and perform in the playoffs. The days of the Broad Street Bullies is over. I hope the Sabres staff have learned their lesson in Kassian and let McIlrath go.

From my point of view we should try to get Granlund.

Is there a rule in the NHL that states a franchise can't have two players with toughness? And how does have two players with toughness make the Sabres the Broad Street Bullies? You guys need to be deprogrammed from the Regier way of thinking.

The last thing the Sabres need is a under sized Finnish center in Mikael Granlund. McIlrath brings legit toughness and is sound blue-liner. That is something that is sorely missed in the organization. Toughness on the blue-line.

Is there a rule in the NHL that states a franchise can't have two players with toughness? And how does have two players with toughness make the Sabres the Broad Street Bullies? You guys need to be deprogrammed from the Regier way of thinking.

The last thing the Sabres need is a under sized Finnish center in Mikael Granlund. McIlrath brings legit toughness and is sound blue-liner. That is something that is sorely missed in the organization. Toughness on the blue-line.

I could see them bringing in Willie Mitchell in free agency (only at the right price) to address this -- he's a pretty tough SOB.

I'll also note for the record that nobody here has any idea how any of these guys is going to turn out.

I could see them bringing in Willie Mitchell in free agency (only at the right price) to address this -- he's a pretty tough SOB.

I'll also note for the record that nobody here has any idea how any of these guys is going to turn out.

Well of course it's a crap shoot to some extent. With the exceptions of Taylor and Seguin and a handful of others, no one knows anything for sure. Back in the day they were 21 and you really knew who you were getting.

But to my point...McIlrath's primary asset is toughness. That's it. At least Kassian is supposed to have a modicum of scoring ability but I had a bad feeling about him from the start. Same with McIlrath.

I don't see them as teammates as much as cell mates.

And although I'm high on Granlund, I believe the Sabres are most interested in Sheahan but will probably settle for Tinordi.

Back in the day they were 21 and you really knew who you were getting.

Back in what day was the minimum draft age 21? First you are remembering the day when Marcel Dionne used to skate between the legs of his opponents and now this?

Help me out here?

:blink:

McIlrath is nasty, but he seems to have the same rep as Martin Grenier when he was picked 45th overall back in 1999. He was nasty as ######, and many thought he'd go in the first round, but now he's a goon in the KHL, and was enver quick enough to stick in the NHL.

I'm already afraid Kassian will just be Brad May 2.0, so I'd rather see them trade the pick along with other assets (Connolly, Stafford, etc.) to land a proven center, or draft Tinordi if he's available. He's nasty as well, but seems to have more upside.

Well of course it's a crap shoot to some extent. With the exceptions of Taylor and Seguin and a handful of others, no one knows anything for sure. Back in the day they were 21 and you really knew who you were getting.

But to my point...McIlrath's primary asset is toughness. That's it. At least Kassian is supposed to have a modicum of scoring ability but I had a bad feeling about him from the start. Same with McIlrath.

I don't see them as teammates as much as cell mates.

And although I'm high on Granlund, I believe the Sabres are most interested in Sheahan but will probably settle for Tinordi.

Taylor and Sequin are no guarantee either. They're definitely the cream of the crop, but they could flop, or at least take much longer to develop than most would expect.

Always pick the best available player when its time to pick. Thats how I'd do it but what do I know about drafting. Pair this kid with Tyler Myers and it would be a dynamic duo.

The only problem i see in that is is that Tyler Myers is more of a off d man this kid seems to be a gritty physical played i dont think they would match up very well

Archived