2011 NHL Draft

deluca67

Just some fun questions to see what people think, Sabres have round 1(pick 23) then nothing until round 3 but 3 picks(68,75,83).

Part 1:

What would it take of these picks to move up in the draft(any combo of the 4 and how high up do you think they could get)?

Part 2:

Is there anyone that you think would be worth moving up to get that could be at NHL playing level come opening day?

Part 3:

I have an idea of the answer but I have to ask, think they will even bother trying to move up?

And just as a side note they also have the following picks:

Round 4 pick 98

Round 5 pick 143

Round 6 pick 173

Round 7 pick 203

Round 7 pick 208

i dont think the team need any toughness, i think we either need players to step up(Stafford ,Hecht,Vanek)or move them for plays who will.In other words Darcy needs to sh*t or get off the pot.We in buffalo want our team to win and when i see playes not try ,as a fan it make me mad .Maybe bringing in some young off would make a impact on whos left for next year.also workin on a key top line center who can win faceoffs and change games would be nice to see.

Back in what day was the minimum draft age 21? First you are remembering the day when Marcel Dionne used to skate between the legs of his opponents and now this?

Help me out here?

:blink:

You don't remember Marcel Dionne? Great scorer for the Kings...an underrated talent.

Maybe it wasn't 21...maybe 20. I'm thinking of when they drafted Perreault. Like I said, back then you knew what you were getting.

Just some fun questions to see what people think, Sabres have round 1(pick 23) then nothing until round 3 but 3 picks(68,75,83).

Part 1:

What would it take of these picks to move up in the draft(any combo of the 4 and how high up do you think they could get)?

Part 2:

Is there anyone that you think would be worth moving up to get that could be at NHL playing level come opening day?

Part 3:

I have an idea of the answer but I have to ask, think they will even bother trying to move up?

And just as a side note they also have the following picks:

Round 4 pick 98

Round 5 pick 143

Round 6 pick 173

Round 7 pick 203

Round 7 pick 208

I can see Darcy doing this. Like I said, I believe they want Sheahan and if he isn't gone by pick 10 they may try to move up to get him (or whomever else they have targeted). I think they would offer their 23rd pick plus Stafford or someone like that. Helll, they might be able to move into the top 10 with that offer.

What I would like them to do is to offer Atlanta or Phoenix a couple of 3rd round picks plus Stafford for their 8th (Atl) or 13th (Phx).

You don't remember Marcel Dionne? Great scorer for the Kings...an underrated talent.

Maybe it wasn't 21...maybe 20. I'm thinking of when they drafted Perreault. Like I said, back then you knew what you were getting.

I remember Dionne well. I don't remember him skating through anyones legs...unless you were trying to be funny and I didn't get it.

The draft regardless of minimum age requirement, was and always will be a crapshoot, even in the early rounds. See for yourself...

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1970a.html

I remember Dionne well. I don't remember him skating through anyones legs...unless you were trying to be funny and I didn't get it.

The draft regardless of minimum age requirement, was and always will be a crapshoot, even in the early rounds. See for yourself...

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1970a.html

And for the record, Perreault was 19 when he was drafted.

http://hockeydb.com/...t/nhl1970a.html

And for the record, Perreault was 19 when he was drafted.

Bullwinkle -- I like your posts and I'm glad you're here, but I think it's probably time to concede on this one and move on.

McIlrath is nasty, but he seems to have the same rep as Martin Grenier when he was picked 45th overall back in 1999. He was nasty as ######, and many thought he'd go in the first round, but now he's a goon in the KHL, and was enver quick enough to stick in the NHL.

I'm already afraid Kassian will just be Brad May 2.0, so I'd rather see them trade the pick along with other assets (Connolly, Stafford, etc.) to land a proven center, or draft Tinordi if he's available. He's nasty as well, but seems to have more upside.

If Kassian is Brad May 2.0 I will be ecstatic. Would be much better than most of our first round selections under Marcy.

If Kassian is Brad May 2.0 I will be ecstatic. Would be much better than most of our first round selections under Marcy.

I'd also be okay with this and just a hunch on my part, but I think Kassian will turn out to be a better offensive player than May.

I could see them bringing in Willie Mitchell in free agency (only at the right price) to address this -- he's a pretty tough SOB.

I'll also note for the record that nobody here has any idea how any of these guys is going to turn out.

I would love the Willie Mitchell of a couple years ago. With the way he plays the game, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank. He would be the closest we have ever come to filling McKee's shoes, which still stand inside the locker room door large and empty after all these years.

I'd also be okay with this and just a hunch on my part, but I think Kassian will turn out to be a better offensive player than May.

That's the hope, and I share it, but who knows. It seems most of his goals are the ugly variety, which probably transfer better to the NHL than skill goals from a player not skilled enough to cut the mustard at the next level.

I would love the Willie Mitchell of a couple years ago. With the way he plays the game, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank. He would be the closest we have ever come to filling McKee's shoes, which still stand inside the locker room door large and empty after all these years.

The Mitchell of a couple of years ago would be a really expensive UFA. At age 33 and having missed 34 games last year with a concussion (but having recently been cleared to skate and work out), he might be available on the cheap. Add Mitchell (who is nastier than McKee was, and I really liked McKee) and Weber (if he's ready for prime time, which is a big if) to the D this year and all of the sudden you have a group that even DeLuca might like.

The Mitchell of a couple of years ago would be a really expensive UFA. At age 33 and having missed 34 games last year with a concussion (but having recently been cleared to skate and work out), he might be available on the cheap. Add Mitchell (who is nastier than McKee was, and I really liked McKee) and Weber (if he's ready for prime time, which is a big if) to the D this year and all of the sudden you have a group that even DeLuca might like.

Agreed - I wanted him then, but he was out of our range. Tough physical defensemen hit a wall at some point and their game falls apart. Look what happened to our friggin captain last year (I know, torn labrum, but still...) My guess is Mitchell is pretty damn close to that wall. 2 year deal only. He won't like that, looking for one last pay day.

The more I think about this season and our untimely exit from the playoffs, the more I fall in with those calling for a serious infusion of sack. They need to change the attitude in that locker room. Being physically dominated by the competition is never acceptable.

Lethbridge Broncos is starting to make sense. Lets only draft kids from the WHL for the next 3 years and see what happens. I'm with Millbury - stay away from the euro-trash.

Somebody talk me off the ledge...

Agreed - I wanted him then, but he was out of our range. Tough physical defensemen hit a wall at some point and their game falls apart. Look what happened to our friggin captain last year (I know, torn labrum, but still...) My guess is Mitchell is pretty damn close to that wall. 2 year deal only. He won't like that, looking for one last pay day.

The more I think about this season and our untimely exit from the playoffs, the more I fall in with those calling for a serious infusion of sack. They need to change the attitude in that locker room. Being physically dominated by the competition is never acceptable.

Lethbridge Broncos is starting to make sense. Lets only draft kids from the WHL for the next 3 years and see what happens. I'm with Millbury - stay away from the euro-trash.

Somebody talk me off the ledge...

We agree on Mitchell. I don't think the entire team is lacking heart, though, just the top 6 forwards. That's why I think adding Mitchell would be nice, but it's not what the Sabres really need. They are dying for a top-line forward with skill and guts.

As for where the wished-for forward comes from -- there are plenty of foreign players with guts (like most of the guys on the Red Wings), and plenty of North Americans without (like most of the top-6 forwards on the Sabres).

Bullwinkle -- I like your posts and I'm glad you're here, but I think it's probably time to concede on this one and move on.

I will freely admit when I'm wrong...OK, Perreault was 19. That was some time ago. But I also reserve the right to break my arm patting myself on the back in self-congratulation whenever I end up being right (see Tom Webster).

So here I go on the limb again...the Sabres will draft Sheaham or Tinordi and may move up in the draft to do it.

P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing Martin in a Sabre's uniform next season.

P.P.S. Yes, of course Dionne's skating through legs was a joke...lighten up!

Archived