Time to blow it up and start over.

deluca67

No team, having lost integral role players like Vanek and Hecht (our Germanics)not to mention the wounded Connolly, Stafford, Kaleta and Ellis all at the same time could survive - it just doesn't happen!

I am convinced and methinks most of you would agree that the Sabres could have controlled their own destiny sans the above mentioned injuries!

There injuries were insignificant and had no bearing on this teams failures. Ryan Miller controlled this teams destiny and that is it.

It truly is ridiculous to think this team is a tweak or two away from a Stanley Cup. Know who is a tweak or two away from a Stanley Cup? Teams like the Pens, Caps, Sharks and Red Wings. Considering the disparity of talent between the Sabres and those teams listed how in the ###### is buffalo a tweak or two away.

Look at the teams in the finals. The Sabres catch touch the level of play either of the teams have been playing at. One guy here and one guy there isn't going to magically catapult the Sabres to contender status. Myers, Tallinder, Sekera, Butler, Rivet and Montador are not a Stanley Cup defense no matter how well Miller plays.

I know it's a concept that makes fans cringe. But it just may me the only reasonable option to turning this franchise around so they can actually compete for a Stanley Cup. They have a goalie, a stud defense-man and a legit goal scorer in Vanek. So it doesn't needed to be completely leveled to the ground. It does need a major renovation. The "core" with the exception Vanek needs to be replaced. Unless Butler and Sekera can somehow turn it around you may have to replace five of the six defense-man on the team. Myers is the only one worth keeping around.

We know there are no major free agent signings coming. There may be a small trade made more as a gesture than anything significant to improve the team. So I am suggesting a huge salary dump. Connolly, Pominvill, Hect, Roy and Gaustad can all be moved. Basically anyone with a contract beyond next season needs to be gone. You sign Myers long term. Vanek? If a deal can be done I wouldn't say no. Let Miller take this team again as far as he can and go into next off-season with enough cap space to completely restructure the "top six" and "the core."

If the goal is to win a Stanley Cup than radical changes need to be made. A token move here and there this off-season will not move this team any closer to winning a Stanley Cup. That just not be a goal it should be the only goal.

I have a question and a comment, when I'm done I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

How do you "dump salaries?" Is there anyway of getting Roy's contract off the books if no one wants to take him off our hands? Same with Pominville and Connolly? I think we are stuck with the players we have, though I bet Connolly will be a good trade deadline player to move for something. But Stafford might be sitting on the bench next season making a lot of money, but what can be done about him?

And NO WAY do I give up on Butler and Sakara anytime soon. Young defensemen take a lot of time to develop and those two both have the skills.

I have a question and a comment, when I'm done I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

How do you "dump salaries?" Is there anyway of getting Roy's contract off the books if no one wants to take him off our hands? Same with Pominville and Connolly? I think we are stuck with the players we have, though I bet Connolly will be a good trade deadline player to move for something. But Stafford might be sitting on the bench next season making a lot of money, but what can be done about him?

And NO WAY do I give up on Butler and Sakara anytime soon. Young defensemen take a lot of time to develop and those two both have the skills.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Every GM thinks his team can turn a player around. With one year left Connolly should be easy to move. Roy will probably be the easiest to move at $4 million. Pominville is probably the hardest player to move. He is grossly overpaid and the Sabres will probably have to sit on that contract till it ends. Stafford being young will always have suitors come trade talk time. A GM will look at Stafford and believe his coaches can remove his head from his arce and attach a set of ballz.

There are deals out there to be made. You just need a GM that isn't afraid to go out and look for them. Which is the Sabres biggest problem at this time.

With one year left Connolly should be easy to move. Roy will probably be the easiest to move at $4 million. Pominville is probably the hardest player to move. He is grossly overpaid and the Sabres will probably have to sit on that contract till it ends. Stafford being young will always have suitors come trade talk time. A GM will look at Stafford and believe his coaches can remove his head from his arce and attach a set of ballz.

I agree with all of this. We are stuck with Pommer but the others are quite tradeable.

Connoly? I 'll pass, I've seen that movie before.

I see Nino listed as a LW, has he played any center? Is he considered NHL ready?

I've also seen a a bunch of 6'4" and up defenseman listed as potential first round picks Gudbranson, Tinordi, Forbort and McIlrath to name a few. I take it that Gudbranson is considered the best of the group. Good enough for the Sabres to take a run at the #3 pick?

Don't quote me, but i'm pretty sure he has only played LW. And no, i don't think he's NHL ready. He's very young, the youngest player in this draft. If he were down a week later then what he was, he would have to be in the 2011 draft class. He played in the WJC as a 17yo, a tournament where mainly 19 year olds dominate. Nino had 6 goals, 4 assists in 7 games, including a game tying goal vs. Russia late in the 3rd and then the game winner in over time. He also scored and had an assist vs. Canada.

Don't quote me, but i'm pretty sure he has only played LW. And no, i don't think he's NHL ready. He's very young, the youngest player in this draft. If he were down a week later then what he was, he would have to be in the 2011 draft class. He played in the WJC as a 17yo, a tournament where mainly 19 year olds dominate. Nino had 6 goals, 4 assists in 7 games, including a game tying goal vs. Russia late in the 3rd and then the game winner in over time. He also scored and had an assist vs. Canada.

I see him listed at 6' 1" 205 lbs. Figure he is still growing at his age. He seems to have the skill part of the resume down. Question is does he use his size?

I know it's a concept that makes fans cringe. But it just may me the only reasonable option to turning this franchise around so they can actually compete for a Stanley Cup. They have a goalie, a stud defense-man and a legit goal scorer in Vanek. So it doesn't needed to be completely leveled to the ground. It does need a major renovation. The "core" with the exception Vanek needs to be replaced. Unless Butler and Sekera can somehow turn it around you may have to replace five of the six defense-man on the team. Myers is the only one worth keeping around.

We know there are no major free agent signings coming. There may be a small trade made more as a gesture than anything significant to improve the team. So I am suggesting a huge salary dump. Connolly, Pominvill, Hect, Roy and Gaustad can all be moved. Basically anyone with a contract beyond next season needs to be gone. You sign Myers long term. Vanek? If a deal can be done I wouldn't say no. Let Miller take this team again as far as he can and go into next off-season with enough cap space to completely restructure the "top six" and "the core."

If the goal is to win a Stanley Cup than radical changes need to be made. A token move here and there this off-season will not move this team any closer to winning a Stanley Cup. That just not be a goal it should be the only goal.

Now I am not suggesting you are incorrect: But what exactly is the plan after letting everyone go? Any names in mind? Or are we just hoping to hit it big in the draft over the next few seasons, and then in 5 years, when Miller then walks, the Sabres would need a goalie too?

I know I know...goalies aren't needed anymore because of the Blackhawks and Flyers, but that trend will change, just like it did from having an elite tender to win.

Give us something, names of players, anyone...what style do you want to implement? What kinds of players?

Just throwing this out as almost factual with no information behind it makes no sense IMO.

Now I am not suggesting you are incorrect: But what exactly is the plan after letting everyone go? Any names in mind? Or are we just hoping to hit it big in the draft over the next few seasons, and then in 5 years, when Miller then walks, the Sabres would need a goalie too?

I know I know...goalies aren't needed anymore because of the Blackhawks and Flyers, but that trend will change, just like it did from having an elite tender to win.

Give us something, names of players, anyone...what style do you want to implement? What kinds of players?

Just throwing this out as almost factual with no information behind it makes no sense IMO.

I've been tossing names and possible deals out there since the end of the season if not sooner. Connolly to Columbus for Umberger or a bigger deal also involving the Blue Jackets #1 pick. Roy to Cagary for Regehr. Stafford to LA for the rights to Frolov before he hit's free agency. Miller to Detroit for Franzen and some picks/prospects. I mentioned going strong at free agency. Marleau and Cullen could be part of a nice off season. I would take a run at Kovi or at least contact the teams that want to sign him and see if you stag a quality player while they try to make cap room. I would hit the RFA market as well.

There is no "factual information" to be had. This is 100% my opinion on what I would like to see the Sabres do. I throw out ideas, some agree and some try to tear apart. If we stayed strictly to the facts there would be no point discussing trades or free agency when it comes to the Sabres because nothing is going to happen.

Great goalies will always be needed if you have a team that's chronically small, weak and has more than its share of passengers.

We need to get Golisano, Quinn, Regier and Ruff outta here and start fresh!

I know that there are now other threads dealing with this, but I felt it should be put in this one.

Anyone watching this Stanley Cup Finals series who really believes that the Sabres are only one or two moves from being a Cup contender is out of their mind.

I know that there are now other threads dealing with this, but I felt it should be put in this one.

Anyone watching this Stanley Cup Finals series who really believes that the Sabres are only one or two moves from being a Cup contender is out of their mind.

says you,

2 or 3 moves, but I've been called worse.

They're going to need to big ones.

They would need to be three additions to the top of the roster so some of the guys who the Sabres say are their "top six" can be slotted back to where they belong. nfreeman's idea of Anton Volchenkov is not only a big time move, I love the idea so much I think it's crucial for the franchise that he is wearing a Sabre jersey next season. Anton Volchenkov an Myers eating up 25-30 minutes a night takes a lot of pressure off of Sekera and Butler who can slot into about 20 minutes a night. You can take a Weber and a Montador and let them mop up the final 10 minutes or so a night.

They would need to be three additions to the top of the roster so some of the guys who the Sabres say are their "top six" can be slotted back to where they belong. nfreeman's idea of Anton Volchenkov is not only a big time move, I love the idea so much I think it's crucial for the franchise that he is wearing a Sabre jersey next season. Anton Volchenkov an Myers eating up 25-30 minutes a night takes a lot of pressure off of Sekera and Butler who can slot into about 20 minutes a night. You can take a Weber and a Montador and let them mop up the final 10 minutes or so a night.

Now we are down to three additions? What happened to replacing 5 forwards and 5 defenseman?

Now we are down to three additions? What happened to replacing 5 forwards and 5 defenseman?

My post was only the beginning. I would address the top of the roster then start working on real depth not the collection of fourth liners people claim are depth players.

My post was only the beginning. I would address the top of the roster then start working on real depth not the collection of fourth liners people claim are depth players.

So hypothetically, this team adds Kaberle, Marleau and Hemsky replacing Connolly, Stafford and Tallinder (Not likely but play along) you don't think the team has the talent to be a contender?

Well, Volkie has averaged 20 min per game for the last 3 years, so he's not likely to jump up to 25-30. But I think Myers can play 25-28 minutes.

I also think you're being optimistic on Sekera and Butler -- both would have to improve a real notch to be able to handle 20 min per game -- and pessimistic on Montador and Rivet (who apparently isn't in your top 6). I think Rivet will have a good comeback year after his shoulder surgery. Montador (who averaged a solid 17 min. per game in the regular season and almost 24 minutes in the playoffs) will probably be a bit improved over last year since it's his 2nd year with the Sabres and he will be more comfortable in their system.

Bottom line though is that if the Sabres make a big move in FA, it's much more likely to be for a forward than for a defenseman. They don't have the budget room to get Volkie (who will be a $4MM-$5MM per year player) AND a good FA forward. I wouldn't be surprised with a good forward signing and a 2nd-tier defenseman signing.

Well, Volkie has averaged 20 min per game for the last 3 years, so he's not likely to jump up to 25-30. But I think Myers can play 25-28 minutes.

I also think you're being optimistic on Sekera and Butler -- both would have to improve a real notch to be able to handle 20 min per game -- and pessimistic on Montador and Rivet (who apparently isn't in your top 6). I think Rivet will have a good comeback year after his shoulder surgery. Montador (who averaged a solid 17 min. per game in the regular season and almost 24 minutes in the playoffs) will probably be a bit improved over last year since it's his 2nd year with the Sabres and he will be more comfortable in their system.

Bottom line though is that if the Sabres make a big move in FA, it's much more likely to be for a forward than for a defenseman. They don't have the budget room to get Volkie (who will be a $4MM-$5MM per year player) AND a good FA forward. I wouldn't be surprised with a good forward signing and a 2nd-tier defenseman signing.

Every time I hear Volchenkov's name, I can't help but think of Jay McKee. Their careers are awfully similar right up to the point where McKee hit UFA status.

Actually, you replace Connolly, Stafford, Tallinder and Lydman with #1 center, #1/2 defenseman, Mike Weber and journeyman forward, you'd be well below the cap and depending on budget, you'd probably be below that as well.

Good point but it poses a problem b/c they don't have a #2 or #3 D-man. Rivet, Montador, Butler, Sekera, etc can fill out 4-6 but it's a stretch to think any will project higher than that next year. Volchenkov/Kaberle obviously would but it limits their ability to spend up front, unless they can get someone to take #9, #19, #21, #29, which will be difficult IMO.

Archived