Time to blow it up and start over.

deluca67

I know it's a concept that makes fans cringe. But it just may me the only reasonable option to turning this franchise around so they can actually compete for a Stanley Cup. They have a goalie, a stud defense-man and a legit goal scorer in Vanek. So it doesn't needed to be completely leveled to the ground. It does need a major renovation. The "core" with the exception Vanek needs to be replaced. Unless Butler and Sekera can somehow turn it around you may have to replace five of the six defense-man on the team. Myers is the only one worth keeping around.

We know there are no major free agent signings coming. There may be a small trade made more as a gesture than anything significant to improve the team. So I am suggesting a huge salary dump. Connolly, Pominvill, Hect, Roy and Gaustad can all be moved. Basically anyone with a contract beyond next season needs to be gone. You sign Myers long term. Vanek? If a deal can be done I wouldn't say no. Let Miller take this team again as far as he can and go into next off-season with enough cap space to completely restructure the "top six" and "the core."

If the goal is to win a Stanley Cup than radical changes need to be made. A token move here and there this off-season will not move this team any closer to winning a Stanley Cup. That just not be a goal it should be the only goal.

But don't you see? This is clearly a rudderless ship headed in the wrong direction. We must rant endlessly because that's what we do around here.

Obviously you don't believe that. So, who do you bring in? If there was no concern for the cap or if the team they came from didn't care if they got anything in return, who's your guy. If it's only a tweek then who do you bring in that will change the culture and play of the current Sabres roster.

The only person I can see doing it is Crosby. OV - no. Malkin - no. Drury - um,..no. Who is it?

Obviously you don't believe that. So, who do you bring in? If there was no concern for the cap or if the team they came from didn't care if they got anything in return, who's your guy. If it's only a tweek then who do you bring in that will change the culture and play of the current Sabres roster.

The only person I can see doing it is Crosby. OV - no. Malkin - no. Drury - um,..no. Who is it?

I don't have a name but if Malkin and OV were available, either one of them would do it. All this team needs is a true #1 line and they'd be as good as anyone in the East. Give them a stud d-man and assume Myers progresses and they be as good as any team in the league and that's only two or three moves, albeit huge moves.

I don't have a name but if Malkin and OV were available, either one of them would do it. All this team needs is a true #1 line and they'd be as good as anyone in the East. Give them a stud d-man and assume Myers progresses and they be as good as any team in the league and that's only two or three moves, albeit huge moves.

They need 5 top six forwards and 5 defensemen. Yep, they are right on the cusp of greatness.

I take it you stopped watching the playoffs. There is no way anyone still watching the playoffs could think the Sabres are capable of playing at the level the teams still alive are.

But don't you see? This is clearly a rudderless ship headed in the wrong direction. We must rant endlessly because that's what we do around here.

Where are they going? They aren't moving forward. If Miller has anything less than a Vezina type season next year they go from a meaningless division title back to 10th place.

You guys do realize they won the division this year, don't you?

"You guys do realize they won the division this year, don't you?"

is the new

"You guys do realize Lindy took the Sabres to four conference finals, don't you?"

is the new

"You guys do realize Lindy took the Sabres to four conference finals, don't you?"

How far a way are we from a Larry Quinn spreadsheet showing that the Sabres won the the division.

Honestly, with the year Miller had winning the division should have been the least of their accomplishments not their crowning glory.

is the new

And the point is the same. If management makes the one or two moves needed, this team will contend for the Cup. This team has a lot of the pieces in place and to suggest that they need to start all over is ridiculous.

The same people that said Drury and Briere would never win a Cup together so it was alright to let them go still don't understand that building a Cup contender is a process and most of the teams that win get to that point after a couple of playoff disappointments.

Look at the Red Wings before they started their run of dominance. The team needed to be tweaked after 06/07 and that's all it needs now.

And it isn't easy. There are about ten teams looking for the same thing. A number 1 center and either a shut down d-man or a power play stud.

And the point is the same. If management makes the one or two moves needed, this team will contend for the Cup. This team has a lot of the pieces in place and to suggest that they need to start all over is ridiculous.

The same people that said Drury and Briere would never win a Cup together so it was alright to let them go still don't understand that building a Cup contender is a process and most of the teams that win get to that point after a couple of playoff disappointments.

Look at the Red Wings before they started their run of dominance. The team needed to be tweaked after 06/07 and that's all it needs now.

And it isn't easy. There are about ten teams looking for the same thing. A number 1 center and either a shut down d-man or a power play stud.

What do any of us really think the chances are of him actually making those one or two moves. Even in the past when he did make those moves (Drury, Briere) he didn't even know it at the time. Briere was an under-performer and Drury was the fifth line center (He only started in Col. because Yelle got injured). I guess I just have to hold out hope that he gets lucky again.

at least a few of our players are chumps (the pigeons) and to me everyone is expendable but the biggest seat we have to fill is an owner who knows something and is passionate about hockey, a new GM and coach. If you're going to blow it up, blow it up real good! :censored:

at least a few of our players are chumps (the pigeons) and to me everyone is expendable but the biggest seat we have to fill is an owner who knows something and is passionate about hockey, a new GM and coach. If you're going to blow it up, blow it up real good! :censored:

Great reference.

What do any of us really think the chances are of him actually making those one or two moves. Even in the past when he did make those moves (Drury, Briere) he didn't even know it at the time. Briere was an under-performer and Drury was the fifth line center (He only started in Col. because Yelle got injured). I guess I just have to hold out hope that he gets lucky again.

neither one of them wre underperformes when we got them, briere had 32 goals the year before he came to buffalo and drury was always a great 2 way player who could chip in some points. if you wanna say they got better in buffalo thats fine, but neither one of them were undrperformers when we got them.

Drury was not the fifth line center when the Sabres acquired him from Calgary. Briere was a typical case of a bad franchise giving up on a player after one down year.

He will make at least two changes this year. Whether they are changes we want is yet to be determined.

Careful. The last time two people agreed with me in the same thread the server crashed.

Server crashed? ######, I'm more worried about how the space/time continuum is going to react, I got a feeling this might just be what Doc Brown warned Marty about.

Archived