Time to blow it up and start over.

deluca67

During the hotstove segment after period 2 on cbc they said just that .Apparently Boston is willing to move that pick.They have 4 picks in the first and second round.They said something about swinging a deal with edmonton to get the player they want so it may be something as simple as switching picks with Edmonton or an exchange of players as well.We'll see how it shakes out?

I didn't catch that segment, but there's a big difference between being willing to move that pick and be willing to upgrade it to #1. Most people can't decide who will be better, Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin, and both are considered to be immediate impact forwards with star potential. If I'm the Bruins' GM and Darcy called, I'd tell him to start with Myers and their first, and then tell him to add to it to make it interesting. Sure, make the call, there's nothing to lose, but I'd be surprised if it lasted more than 2 minutes.

If Regier wants to make a impact this off-season (I highly doubt he does) he can do so and still stick to the mantra of building through the draft. Boston said they are willing to give up the #2 pick. When not make a play for it? Pre Draft Trade?

I was taking liberty with the article in regards the #2 pick, my apologies. I don;t know waht the Bruins would want form the Sabres, I wish Darcey would call and find out.

Good heavens man. You are spiraling out of control. Boston isn't trading the #2 pick in the draft, Pittsburgh isn't trading Malkin, and it has nothing to do with Darcy calling or not calling.

During the hotstove segment after period 2 on cbc they said just that .Apparently Boston is willing to move that pick.They have 4 picks in the first and second round.They said something about swinging a deal with edmonton to get the player they want so it may be something as simple as switching picks with Edmonton or an exchange of players as well.We'll see how it shakes out?

The Canadian hockey media is great, but one of its their chief failings is the constant rumormongering involving Canadian teams making huge moves.

For both of you: there is a consensus around the NHL that Boston is going to get a star forward with that pick. That player won't cost much for 4-5 years. There is literally nothing on Edmonton's roster that would make Boston part with that kind of asset.

Good heavens man. You are spiraling out of control. Boston isn't trading the #2 pick in the draft, Pittsburgh isn't trading Malkin, and it has nothing to do with Darcy calling or not calling.

The Canadian hockey media is great, but one of its their chief failings is the constant rumormongering involving Canadian teams making huge moves.

For both of you: there is a consensus around the NHL that Boston is going to get a star forward with that pick. That player won't cost much for 4-5 years. There is literally nothing on Edmonton's roster that would make Boston part with that kind of asset.

hey boston has done weird stuff before like trading joe thornton for almost nothing

Thank you.

Thank you.

Are you two dating? You're always together.

Realistically we all know Regier is going to nothing. Maybe a small trade involving a Montador level hack. Some of us like to pretend there will be a day where we could expect better. It's just easier to pretend that Regier isn't the GM and that there is a possibility the Sabres will make a move to improve themselves. Boston is a team that has just as good if not better goaltending than the Sabres. They also have many more pieces in place in front of Rask than the Sabres do in front of Miller. I doubt they would be close minded to the idea of any move that could improve their hockey club. Including the #2 pick over all.

It may just be that a call to the Bruins would be pointless. Not because the Bruins wouldn't take the call seriously. It's because I doubt Regier and the Sabres would take it seriously.

It's going to be a long summer. Another summer where the draft comes and free agency begins and other teams in the East make moves to improve their hockey clubs while Regier and the Sabres sit on the sidelines yet again. A long summer indeed.

There is literally nothing on Edmonton's roster that would make Boston part with that kind of asset.

I agree with what you said, except for this part, which is a misunderstanding. The deal with Edmonton would be Boston giving the Oilers a something to swap the #2 pick (Boston owns) for the #1 pick (Edmonton owns) in order to get the player, Hall or Seguin, that Boston wants rather than the one Edmonton doesn't take. If Edmonton is indifferent between the two, then they might take that. If they have a strong feeling either way, then they wouldn't unless they know Boston wants the one they do not.

I agree with what you said, except for this part, which is a misunderstanding. The deal with Edmonton would be Boston giving the Oilers a something to swap the #2 pick (Boston owns) for the #1 pick (Edmonton owns) in order to get the player, Hall or Seguin, that Boston wants rather than the one Edmonton doesn't take. If Edmonton is indifferent between the two, then they might take that. If they have a strong feeling either way, then they wouldn't unless they know Boston wants the one they do not.

If the Oilers would that be indifferent, maybe they would be willing to move out of the top of the draft all together. I look at Columbus with the #4 pick and think something can be done there. The 23rd pick ,a second, a prospect and Tim Connolly? I still feel Connolly would be a great fit in Columbus playing with Nash. Maybe the #4 pick and Umberger in return?

Are you two dating? You're always together.

Realistically we all know Regier is going to nothing. Maybe a small trade involving a Montador level hack. Some of us like to pretend there will be a day where we could expect better. It's just easier to pretend that Regier isn't the GM and that there is a possibility the Sabres will make a move to improve themselves. Boston is a team that has just as good if not better goaltending than the Sabres. They also have many more pieces in place in front of Rask than the Sabres do in front of Miller. I doubt they would be close minded to the idea of any move that could improve their hockey club. Including the #2 pick over all.

It may just be that a call to the Bruins would be pointless. Not because the Bruins wouldn't take the call seriously. It's because I doubt Regier and the Sabres would take it seriously.

It's going to be a long summer. Another summer where the draft comes and free agency begins and other teams in the East make moves to improve their hockey clubs while Regier and the Sabres sit on the sidelines yet again. A long summer indeed.

All I want is some realistic dialogue here. Boston is not going to trade that pick to Buffalo for anything other then Tyler Myers, especially within the division.

I am confident the Sabres will make a significant move but to sit here and debate how they are going to acquire the first or second pick in the draft or Patrick Kane is just plain ridiculous and takes away from meaningful discussion.

Talking about the Columbus deal, while I still think is is a little slanted in Buffalo's favor, at least it would be a conversation worth having.

Back to the pool.

All I want is some realistic dialogue here. Boston is not going to trade that pick to Buffalo for anything other then Tyler Myers, especially within the division.

I am confident the Sabres will make a significant move but to sit here and debate how they are going to acquire the first or second pick in the draft or Patrick Kane is just plain ridiculous and takes away from meaningful discussion.

Talking about the Columbus deal, while I still think is is a little slanted in Buffalo's favor, at least it would be a conversation worth having.

Back to the pool.

Acquiring a top pick is far more realistic than acquiring a Malkin or Kane (again pretending Regier is not our GM).

What do you consider "significant?" Are you thinking a Rivet level of "significant" or something noteworthy that can help this team move forward?

I'll be the first to admit that the media does throw around some pretty juicy rumours but at least they can and do pick up the phone and talk to people in the game. Many in the media are still connected in that many are ex players or agents or coaches etc. I'll put more validity in what they throw around than the wet dreams thrown around on these boards any day of the week. That being said, while I do realize that the probability of what they say on hotstove becoming a reality is always very slim, the probability of whats said on these boards becoming a reality is zero.

If the Oilers would that be indifferent, maybe they would be willing to move out of the top of the draft all together. I look at Columbus with the #4 pick and think something can be done there. The 23rd pick ,a second, a prospect and Tim Connolly? I still feel Connolly would be a great fit in Columbus playing with Nash. Maybe the #4 pick and Umberger in return?

I meant indifferent between the two, as in they see both as can't miss star prospects. In that case, they might be willing to take something to give Boston the choice rather than making it themselves.

As for the #4 pick, that could get you Connolly ... Brett Connolly ... who supposedly has elite talent if you overlook his injury history. Sound a little too familiar?

I meant indifferent between the two, as in they see both as can't miss star prospects. In that case, they might be willing to take something to give Boston the choice rather than making it themselves.

As for the #4 pick, that could get you Connolly ... Brett Connolly ... who supposedly has elite talent if you overlook his injury history. Sound a little too familiar?

How about the kid Johansen? 6' 3" center? There is also a 6' 4" blueliner named Forbort projected to go top ten.

How about the kid Johansen? 6' 3" center? There is also a 6' 4" blueliner named Forbort projected to go top ten.

Johansen is a interesting prospect. He's been all over the first round mock board all year long but according to TSN he's blowing up his workouts in Toronto. A lot of the scouts who worked with him in Toronto are comparing him to Eric Staal.

If the Sabres do move up to a top 10 pick, i am not sure I would pick Brett Connolly, who is a world talent prior to his injury, but who knows how he will rebound? Cody Hodgson just 2 or 3 years ago was the #1 hockey prospect in the world, and has had injury problems and Vancouver has no idea what type of player he will be? Connolly could rebound easily from it, but re-hurt it mid-season which would set him way back. However, if the Sabres do move up, the guy i'd want is Nino Niederriter from Switzerland. He dominated in the WJC. Played very well against top end competition. And dominates the WHL. Nino's junior background is weak compared to many in this draft, thus he's listed mid-first round. He was late 1st until the WJC.... he has Alex Ovechkin type talent. If you trade up to top-10, you have to aim for the stars IMO. If the Sabres pick top 10, it's got to be between Johansen or Nino i'd have to imagine.

Johansen is a interesting prospect. He's been all over the first round mock board all year long but according to TSN he's blowing up his workouts in Toronto. A lot of the scouts who worked with him in Toronto are comparing him to Eric Staal.

If the Sabres do move up to a top 10 pick, i am not sure I would pick Brett Connolly, who is a world talent prior to his injury, but who knows how he will rebound? Cody Hodgson just 2 or 3 years ago was the #1 hockey prospect in the world, and has had injury problems and Vancouver has no idea what type of player he will be? Connolly could rebound easily from it, but re-hurt it mid-season which would set him way back. However, if the Sabres do move up, the guy i'd want is Nino Niederriter from Switzerland. He dominated in the WJC. Played very well against top end competition. And dominates the WHL. Nino's junior background is weak compared to many in this draft, thus he's listed mid-first round. He was late 1st until the WJC.... he has Alex Ovechkin type talent. If you trade up to top-10, you have to aim for the stars IMO. If the Sabres pick top 10, it's got to be between Johansen or Nino i'd have to imagine.

Good draft info. Thanks.

Acquiring a top pick is far more realistic than acquiring a Malkin or Kane (again pretending Regier is not our GM).

What do you consider "significant?" Are you thinking a Rivet level of "significant" or something noteworthy that can help this team move forward?

Have any #1 or #2 overall picks been traded since the lockout?

More to the point, the failure of DR to acquire a pick like that or Malkin does not mean he's a bozo or anything close. You are much more justified in criticizing him for not going after pronger, Phaneuf, Ryan smyth or even kessel or gaborik when they were on the market.

If he doesn't acquire an absolute, no-BS top 6 forward from outside the organization this summer, I will be just as PO'd as you are. But there is a huge range of strong moves that can be made that can be difference-makers for this team below the malkin/top pick level.

I am expecting either a right wing or center to play with Vanek and a power play quarterback.

Connoly? I 'll pass, I've seen that movie before.

I see Nino listed as a LW, has he played any center? Is he considered NHL ready?

I've also seen a a bunch of 6'4" and up defenseman listed as potential first round picks Gudbranson, Tinordi, Forbort and McIlrath to name a few. I take it that Gudbranson is considered the best of the group. Good enough for the Sabres to take a run at the #3 pick?

I am expecting either a right wing or center to play with Vanek and a power play quarterback.

I was thinking more of the quality of player. Are you thinking the best player available at the position in free agency? When I hear significant I want that player to be at least the second best player amongst the forwards right behind Vanek. Significant should mean established already int he league. I need something a bit more significant than a Matt Cullen.

You guys do realize they won the division this year, don't you?

Dejavu!There was all kinds of beaching going on all season despite the competitive nature of the Northeast Division champion Sabres!The naysayers are starting much earlier this season and methinks Sabres are only a few tweaks from SC glory!

Let's just keep at the officiating regimen so that aptitude and skill determines who gets a shot at the championship rather than the folly of players, coaches and officials compromised in their understanding of aptitude and skill!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

I'm kinda curious about Jeff Skinner and he probably won't take a top-5 pick to get. Some may stop reading after 5'10, but at just 18 (two weeks ago), he's already 197 lbs. He's been criticized a bit for his skating and defense, but he also put up 50G and 40A for 90P in 64 games with Kitchener followed by 20G and 13A for 33P in 20 playoff games. As one scouting report said, you can improve skating and defensive responsibility, but you can't teach that kind of nose for the net.

Dejavu!There was all kinds of beaching going on all season despite the competitive nature of the Northeast Division champion Sabres!The naysayers are starting much earlier this season and methinks Sabres are only a few tweaks from SC glory!

Let's just keep at the officiating regimen so that aptitude and skill determines who gets a shot at the championship rather than the folly of players, coaches and officials compromised in their understanding of aptitude and skill!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

:beer: Salute! Nothing like some sun and booze to kill a Sunday :beer:

How far a way are we from a Larry Quinn spreadsheet showing that the Sabres won the the division.

Honestly, with the year Miller had winning the division should have been the least of their accomplishments not their crowning glory.

No team, having lost integral role players like Vanek and Hecht (our Germanics)not to mention the wounded Connolly, Stafford, Kaleta and Ellis all at the same time could survive - it just doesn't happen!

I am convinced and methinks most of you would agree that the Sabres could have controlled their own destiny sans the above mentioned injuries!

No team, having lost integral role players like Vanek and Hecht (our Germanics)not to mention the wounded Connolly, Stafford, Kaleta and Ellis all at the same time could survive - it just doesn't happen!

I am convinced and methinks most of you would agree that the Sabres could have controlled their own destiny sans the above mentioned injuries!

What are you talking about? The Sabres did control their own destinies, regardles of injuries.

Also, I don't buy that Tim was hurting in a way that would impair his skating that bad, as we all know how difficult it is to get him to play once he's got a blue toe nail, plus Lindy's words on not wanting Vanek in the lineup unless he was a 100% certain he could contribute. It's either that or Lindy's a complete idiot, which of course is perfectly possible.

So what was Roy's excuse for not showing up? Pominville's? I suppose Stafford played all year long with two broken legs?

How the pace of the game went up every time the rookies and the workhorses would step on the ice in that series, really makes me want to throw up.

Excuses. I'm sick of them.

Archived