Time to blow it up and start over.

deluca67

Actually, you replace Connolly, Stafford, Tallinder and Lydman with #1 center, #1/2 defenseman, Mike Weber and journeyman forward, you'd be well below the cap and depending on budget, you'd probably be below that as well.

Interesting. Here are a few #s:

TC -- $4.5MM

Stafford -- $1.9MM

Tallinder -- $2.6MM

Lydman -- $2.9MM

total: $11.9MM

Marleau -- $7MM

Volchenkov -- $4MM

Weber -- $800K

Forward X -- $700K

total: $12.5MM

While it's likely that Marleau and/or Volchenkov get more than what I listed above, I think those #s are in the ballpark. I note that the Sabres will probably have to pay a premium to get FAs to come to Buffalo, so those #s might be a bit low.

I'd rather unload Pommer than TC, but I don't think the market will permit that. TC and Stafford should be pretty unloadable.

Good point but it poses a problem b/c they don't have a #2 or #3 D-man. Rivet, Montador, Butler, Sekera, etc can fill out 4-6 but it's a stretch to think any will project higher than that next year. Volchenkov/Kaberle obviously would but it limits their ability to spend up front, unless they can get someone to take #9, #19, #21, #29, which will be difficult IMO.

Your point on the D is well taken, although I think one of the guys you listed will be the #3. I agree though that filling both #2 and #3 with what they have doesn't seem to fit with their MO.

Based on the end-of-year comments from DR, I do expect one of Roy, TC, Pommer or Stafford to be unloaded -- but if it's only Stafford, this doesn't give them room to get both a good defenseman and a good forward. It really needs to be one or Roy, TC or Pommer.

Your point on the D is well taken, although I think one of the guys you listed will be the #3. I agree though that filling both #2 and #3 with what they have doesn't seem to fit with their MO.

Based on the end-of-year comments from DR, I do expect one of Roy, TC, Pommer or Stafford to be unloaded -- but if it's only Stafford, this doesn't give them room to get both a good defenseman and a good forward. It really needs to be one or Roy, TC or Pommer.

If they can somehow get a #2 or #1a d-man then they can probably fill in anyone 3-6 and be fine, they have enough depth there. So if Kaberle or a guy like Jack Johnson (rumored mutual unhappiness in LA) is an option, then do what it takes to get him and sign him long term and move on.

Up front, I think they need to move Roy or Pommer b/c of their contracts. As bad as Connolly and Stafford are, worst case scenario is both are gone by this time next year. Roy has 3 and Pommer has 4 more years. Moving one (or both) of them should be the priority IMO.

If they can somehow get a #2 or #1a d-man then they can probably fill in anyone 3-6 and be fine, they have enough depth there. So if Kaberle or a guy like Jack Johnson (rumored mutual unhappiness in LA) is an option, then do what it takes to get him and sign him long term and move on.

Up front, I think they need to move Roy or Pommer b/c of their contracts. As bad as Connolly and Stafford are, worst case scenario is both are gone by this time next year. Roy has 3 and Pommer has 4 more years. Moving one (or both) of them should be the priority IMO.

if we got jack johnson that would be beast. i would get rid of jason pom pom cheerleader before anyone else.

How about this forward line up?

Vanek - Marleau - Hemsky

Hecht - Roy - Pominville

Ennis - Kennedy - Grier

Gerbe/Kassian/??- Gaustad- Kaletta

I still like mine better:

Vanek - Brad Richards - Pominville

Kennedy - Ennis - Stafford

Hecht - Gaustad - Grier

Gerbe - Mair - Kaleta

Sorry to interrupt, but I always join in when I see people making up rosters. :)

I still like mine better:

Vanek - Brad Richards - Pominville

Kennedy - Ennis - Stafford

Hecht - Gaustad - Grier

Gerbe - Mair - Kaleta

Sorry to interrupt, but I always join in when I see people making up rosters. :)

Ok, lets go to work.

Vanek is ok where he is at.

Brad Richards is the first line center I would go after as well.

Pominville is not a line 1 RWer, he couldn't keep up with Richards and would just miss the net anyways.

Kennedy is not a Line 2 LWer.

Ennis is not a center, nor should he ever be considered one. He is, however, a line 2 LWer.

Stafford needs to just go away, line RWer position is Pommers.

Hecht or Kennedy on line 3 LW is fine.

Goose is a line 4 center, period.

If Grier is line 3 RWer, then stick Kennedy on LW and get Cullen to center them.

Gerbe would be good at LW or RW on line 4.

Mair needs to pull a Stafford and just go away, bring in a Center with size and speed or hands.

Kaleta is good.

Sorry to interrupt your interrupt, but roster ideas are always cool. :blink:

So, how about making one then. Because in your scramble to criticize, you left your top RW position empty.

I was only teasing now.

My roster would look similiar to yours in some respect. I like the Richards addition and you would be correct, that is who I would target for Vanek.

Here is my roster "if" I were GM.

Line 1

Vanek - Richards - Hemsky

(I would trade Connolly, Butler/Sekera and Enroth or 2011 1st rd pick for Richards)

(I would trade Stafford, the remaining Dman from Butler/Sekera and Kennedy/Gerbe for Hemsky)

Line 2

Hecht - Roy - Pomminstein

Line 3

Kennedy/Gerbe - Cullen - Grier

(I like Kennedy with Grier, but, if he goes for Hemsky in a trade, no complaints here, Cullen as an FA signing)

Line 4

McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta

Does it look bad? I think it strikes the right cords in any event.

D pairings

Myers - Weber

Rivet - Gragnani

Montador - Lydman

Goalies

Miller

Biron

And if someone does the math, I bet it fits under the cap.

I was only teasing now.

My roster would look similiar to yours in some respect. I like the Richards addition and you would be correct, that is who I would target for Vanek.

Here is my roster "if" I were GM.

Line 1

Vanek - Richards - Hemsky

(I would trade Connolly, Butler/Sekera and Enroth or 2011 1st rd pick for Richards)

(I would trade Stafford, the remaining Dman from Butler/Sekera and Kennedy/Gerbe for Hemsky)

Line 2

Hecht - Roy - Pomminstein

Line 3

Kennedy/Gerbe - Cullen - Grier

(I like Kennedy with Grier, but, if he goes for Hemsky in a trade, no complaints here, Cullen as an FA signing)

Line 4

McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta

Does it look bad? I think it strikes the right cords in any event.

D pairings

Myers - Weber

Rivet - Gragnani

Montador - Lydman

Goalies

Miller

Biron

And if someone does the math, I bet it fits under the cap.

nice roster, but wheres the powereplay defenseman?

Archived