Search for a Center

spndnchz

Some potential centers...

Trade...

Stoll...Good faceoff man, will hit and has good size, but his numbers are borderline for a scoring line center(2 years left on contract)

Richards...Would be a great fit for Vanek, but will cost a pretty penny even though he is only under contract for one more year

Vinny...I'd like to see them take a run at him if it wasn't for the 10 year contract. No thanks.

FA...

Lombardi...Unless he is a high character guy and a hard worker, he seems to be a lot like what we already have. Under 6'0", not real physical and sucks at faceoffs.

Plekanec...Is going to command big bucks on the FA market after two 70 point seasons out of the last 3.

Marleau...I just don't see it happening

Cullen...He wouldn't be bad and would probably cost about the same as Lombardi

These are the same aren't they? We got a second for Kotalik and gave it to get Moore.

He also got a first, second, and third for Campbell via Bernier. Although that second was given away for Torres.

And a very early 2nd for Biron, where they more than likely drafted who they would have anyway with the pick they sent out for Zubrus. It's all well and good to mention the picks that have been shipped out, but why do we ignore the ones brought in?

Cullen...He wouldn't be bad and would probably cost about the same as Lombardi

I would have liked Darcy to bring in Cullen to help out this year, but he's not a very potent scoring-line center. He's a 50 (+/-) point player. A nice third-line center, but I don't know about a #2, much less a #1.

These are the same aren't they?

I assumed he meant Torres, since we didn't give up a second for Kotalik, we got one.

However, the point about bringing in picks, too, still stands.

And a very early 2nd for Biron, where they more than likely drafted who they would have anyway with the pick they sent out for Zubrus. It's all well and good to mention the picks that have been shipped out, but why do we ignore the ones brought in?

If you are a team that relies on drafting, wouldn't you want to stockpile as many as possible versus trade some away, acquire some others, and in the end, break even?

If only someone were accountable for all these first round failures. Didn't they also give away a first rounder for Zubris. Not to mention throwing a couple of 2nd rounders away for Rivet?

Actually it's worse...

1st round BUSTS...Heisten, Kryukov, Persson, Novotny & Zagrapan(5 misses in a 8 year span)

Pissed away draft picks for a team whose motto is "build from within"...

1st for Zubrus

2nd for Moore

2nd for Torres

Two 2nd's for Rivet

These are the same aren't they? We got a second for Kotalik and gave it to get Moore.

He also got a first, second, and third for Campbell via Bernier. Although that second was given away for Torres.

Anyway you look at this there would probably be some decent prospects or players already on this team if it wasn't for these piss poor trades. I understand the Zubrus trade but a 1st was too much even though it was the last pick of the first round.

Darcy needs to parlay a player, our 1st rounder and maybe move up into the top ten.

Okay, I went through all Darcy's draft picks that have moved around. Yup, out of all of them the Zubrus was the most f'd up.

Here's how it looks just counting how many pick per round have been given away or taken.

ROUND,,,,,, we gave away,,,,,, we got from other team

1st round, 2 ----- 4

2nd round,,, 7 ---- 12

3rd round,,, 5 ----- 4

4th round,,, 8 ---- 2

5th round,,, 5 ---- 8

6th round,,, 3 ---- 1

7th round,,, 2 ---- 3

8th round,,, 2 ---- 3

9th round,,, 1 ---- 2

Of course u have to look at what for what but not bad I guess.

And did u know we got Tim Kennedy from the Caps for a 6th round pick ?

add-on: I guess if were to give it a point system with 1 st round times 9, 2nd times 8 and so forth it would look like this:

We gave away 205 'pts'

We got 202 'pts'

If you are a team that relies on drafting, wouldn't you want to stockpile as many as possible versus trade some away, acquire some others, and in the end, break even?

And they did break even on at least two of the deals you mentioned, Moore and Zubrus. Anyway, at the end of the day, if you want to add something to your team, you have to give something up. The alternative to those picks would have probably been a more NHL ready prospect in the system. It's going to vary due to personal opinion, but which has more value?

if ryan getzlaf comes available somehow, easily the guy you want on your team. good Regina kid (biased, its my city) and he does it all. he will make our team better no question.

If Getzlaf is mentioned, you may as well have included Crosby on the list. I can't even imagine the package of players it would take to get that guy, especially since his cap hit is nearly $3 million a year less than Staal's. And two of the other centers on that team are Marchant and Koivu ... no way are they trading Getzlaf, and certainly not to Buffalo when the best center they could get back is Roy or Connolly.

Putting guys like that on any list just serves to make the list look longer so people can bitch that Darcy isn't doing anything despite SO many options. Let's try to keep it real.

If Getzlaf is mentioned, you may as well have included Crosby on the list. I can't even imagine the package of players it would take to get that guy, especially since his cap hit is nearly $3 million a year less than Staal's. And two of the other centers on that team are Marchant and Koivu ... no way are they trading Getzlaf, and certainly not to Buffalo when the best center they could get back is Roy or Connolly.

Putting guys like that on any list just serves to make the list look longer so people can bitch that Darcy isn't doing anything despite SO many options. Let's try to keep it real.

It may just be me, but I never saw that as a list of guys they should be looking into. I thought of it as more of a description of how teams obtained some of these high level centers.

It may just be me, but I never saw that as a list of guys they should be looking into. I thought of it as more of a description of how teams obtained some of these high level centers.

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

More now useless knowledge:

if we had the 11 th pick in 2005 we could have got Anze Kopitar instead of Zagrapan. Now that would be a nice center. But would DR pay him 7years 47.6 million after his entry deal ended in 08-09?

Not so fast. The guy has a 1 year 4.5 deal and put up 65 points in 73 games. I would bet there are many trades/FA moves every year that would be considered a lot more riskier than taking on Connolly for 1 year.

Or....hold on to him till the trade deadline and see if anyone needs a scoring center in exchange for something good.

Or....hold on to him till the trade deadline and see if anyone needs a scoring center in exchange for something good.

Screw that. I'm sick and tired of the Sabres doing nothing all season long and waiting until one hour before the trade deadline before making a move. I know Darcy thinks he can hold out until the last minute and then rob someone but 1. all those games in the months before the trade deadline matter and 2. waiting until the trade deadline hasn't work at all the last few years.

I want the Sabres to make some significant moves this summer. They haven't done a big offseason trade since Drury in 2003.

i just don't see us as a player in the UFA market.

the RFA market is more of a possibility. here's that list (it won't sort by position, though):

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-restricted-free-agents-by-team

i know another poster started a thread about backstrom. other names that jump out: pavelski (he is going to get monster offers), steen, kesler, fleischmann.

other names that jump out: kesler

Do not upset my feelings by throwing his name out there. Hes a top tier 2 way center in my view. And he has much potential to unlock that will strengthen his playmaking ability. Plus he has size, and heart. The kid is quite simply, amazing.

i just don't see us as a player in the UFA market.

the RFA market is more of a possibility. here's that list (it won't sort by position, though):

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-restricted-free-agents-by-team

Agreed. There will be no UFA signings, just like every other offseason.

Bobby Ryan!?

What will it take to get him? I'm not sure how this RFA process works.

What i do know is that you can trade for the writes to contract negotiations with an RFA. Thats all.

Agreed. There will be no UFA signings, just like every other offseason.

Bobby Ryan!?

What will it take to get him? I'm not sure how this RFA process works.

What i do know is that you can trade for the writes to contract negotiations with an RFA. Thats all.

Ryan is going to get the big money from Anaheim. He has the same agent that did Perry's contract at 5 yrs 5.325 million per.

If someone were to try and get him it would be for Perry money which would require the offering team to give up two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd round pick.

Ryan is going to get the big money from Anaheim. He has the same agent that did Perry's contract at 5 yrs 5.325 million per.

If someone were to try and get him it would be for Perry money which would require the offering team to give up two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd round pick.

And they've moved quite a bit of money off of their payroll over the last couple years. They're shaping up to have a whole bunch of sub-million dollar guys backing up the big money guys like Ryan, Perry, Getzlaf, and Visnovsky.

edit: And, of course, Hiller.

And they've moved quite a bit of money off of their payroll over the last couple years. They're shaping up to have a whole bunch of sub-million dollar guys backing up the big money guys like Ryan, Perry, Getzlaf, and Visnovsky.

edit: And, of course, Hiller.

Sounds like Detroit. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and now Hudler coming back at 5.75 million.

Archived