So, who will be gone next year

rickshaw

Well another year is over and we can all stop stressing over playoff hockey. The question is this, who on the current roster will not be next year?

Let's try to be real about it.

I'm not sure who is or isn't signed for next year but here is my list of guys who should be traded or let go.

Timmy C. - marketable finally

Stafford - does not have the head for the game

Mair - time for change

Gaustad - doesn't play to his potential imo.

Guys who will be gone via free agency -

Lydman

Tallinder

Backup goalie - is Lalime the guy????

So I feel we need to move 6 or 7 guys. This team needs some changes. Any thoughts?

Whoever they can trade (roy or Connolly). The one who is left on the team is to be moved to the 2nd line. Take the $$ you saved on the one shipped out along with Tallinder, Lydman and Stafford - and go get yourself a true #1 Center. The youngins can fill the other holes but this team needs a #1 Center once and for all!

That #1 Center with a second year Myers should be the answer for the PP - done and done!

nhlnumbers.com has a good insight into everyone's status for next year...unfortunately both Connolly & Stafford are under contract. I seriously think that keeping Connolly all these year's is Regier still trying to justify the outcome of the Peca fiasco. Anyway, it would be nice to see these 2 major under-performers moved for something decent in return but I'm not expecting it to happen.

On the bright side, I hope the Sabres learn from their early exit this year and take some steps to build a team that will compete not just in the regular season but also in the playoffs.

The only UFA I see getting re-signed is Grier and that's because he's a savvy guy who can see that the young talent on the Sabres will make them competitive in coming years. Ellis maybe gets another go around as the spare forward but I'd rather see someone come up from Portland like Kassian - the need for someone with his grit is undeniable. It's crazy that McCormick is called up half way through the playoffs without having played any with the big club beforehand - really a huge admission that the Sabres were lacking in the grit area and McCormick wasn't exactly the best solution but rather the only option.

All the above said, here's how it looks to be shaping up for next season:

Kennedy - Roy - Vanek

Ennis - Connolly - Kassian (if they can trade Stafford)

Hecht - Gaustad - Grier

Kaleta - Gerbe - Pominville

Need to also promote or sign a grinder/4th liner to replace Mair / Ellis

Myers needs a top D-man for a partner assuming that they don't resign Tallinder or Lydman

Rivet - Weber (hopefully he's ready to resume his NHL career - otherwise they'll need to get someone on the free agency market)

Montador - Sekera

7th D: Butler needs to stay with the Sabres but needs some work on his game after having a -15 in 59 games (worst on the team by far)

Miller hopefully will get a decent backup - I don't think Lalime gets resigned & Enroth isn't enough of a veteran to fill the role. Martin Biron would be great for both his ability and as a teammate.

nhlnumbers also has a good method of searching the FA list(s).

if letting hank and loods go for nothing happens, i don't see the downside of pouring a portion of their combined savings into a whopper of a contract for volchenkov. he's a defensive d-man in the jay mckee mold in the prime of his career, and tough as nails. please let this happen.

not totally on topic, but TC is making too much money for his contribution to the team when it really matters. he's great in the regular season (when he's not broken), but invisible when the weight starts getting thrown around. lacks any kind of toughness necessary for the playoffs. useless. i hope darcy explores a buyout, but i don't think it's within his capacity to bite that bullet. can someone remind me what the buyout rules are...is it 30% of the remaining $$$ spread over three years or something? otherwise, hang onto him to get the team into playoff position (a line of TC between pominville and ennis, maybe) and trade his pathetic ###### at the deadline for a pick if you have to.

furthermore...goose has regressed. it's sad to say, because i really thought he'd develop into a kris draper type player, but for whatever reason...it just ain't happening. he's signed for the next two seasons, but i can imagine there is a trade partner out there for his services. stafford, not so much. thank goodness his cap hit stays below $2mil. gaustad sits at $2.3mil...ugh.

if letting hank and loods go for nothing happens, i don't see the downside of pouring a portion of their combined savings into a whopper of a contract for volchenkov. he's a defensive d-man in the jay mckee mold in the prime of his career, and tough as nails. please let this happen.

This , This and THIS!! Exactly, I mean EXACTLY what I told someone yesterday

As much as I respect the posters in this thread all these fantasy land predictions are laughable. No serious moves will be made, maybe a Stafford trade and a couple of FA signings. Could be guys on the team this year, could be lower tier UFA's. No big changes will be made. Not sure why everyone tortures themselves with all these made up scenarios.

As much as I respect the posters in this thread all these fantasy land predictions are laughable. No serious moves will be made, maybe a Stafford trade and a couple of FA signings. Could be guys on the team this year, could be lower tier UFA's. No big changes will be made. Not sure why everyone tortures themselves with all these made up scenarios.

I agree 100%.

I am more frustrated that I can't muster up the proper anger for another failed season than I am at the Sabres. I know deep in my heart that they feel this is a successful season and that they are on there way. There will be only minor changes. I expect that Lydman and Tallinder will be back along with Rivet. They will excuse away Tim Conolly's and Derrick Roy's playoffs. They will point to Stafford's age and his upside. They've been working on this since both Quinn and Regier basically tossed away the season months ago. The Sabres will still sell plenty of tickets. The lemmings will run to buy any new jersey that Quinn dangles in front of them. Nothing will change. WGR might as well run the interviews from the past couple of seasons, no one will be able to tell the difference.

I agree 100%.

I am more frustrated that I can't muster up the proper anger for another failed season than I am at the Sabres. I know deep in my heart that they feel this is a successful season and that they are on there way. There will be only minor changes. I expect that Lydman and Tallinder will be back along with Rivet. They will excuse away Tim Conolly's and Derrick Roy's playoffs. They will point to Stafford's age and his upside. They've been working on this since both Quinn and Regier basically tossed away the season months ago. The Sabres will still sell plenty of tickets. The lemmings will run to buy any new jersey that Quinn dangles in front of them. Nothing will change. WGR might as well run the interviews from the past couple of seasons, no one will be able to tell the difference.

I have more of an issue with the offense than the D. I can live with Tallinder, Loods, Myers, everyone except for Rivet and then Sekera. This was the second season in a row that I personally have not forked over cash to the HSBC and I dont anticipate to next season.

+1

While I tend to disagree with a fair amount of Ink's comments, this one is on the mark.

There will be no roster bomb dropped and we'll see most of the same players next year. They'll be some injuries to shake things up during the season like there is every year. But anyone expecting a nuke is just not following the team very well.

Like the Bills, this is not an organization that is dedicated to a championship. Darcy's excuses are old hat now and he simply cannot justify his past mistakes anymore. Of course HSBC will be mostly filled next year and I suspect we'll make the playoffs again and probably make another early exit. Unfortunately, that's enough for Darcy to keep his cushy job and I honestly dont think Quinn cares one way or another as long as revenues are flowing.

I'd love to be surprised with a major signing. Golisano has a billion in the bank. He can afford just about anyone, but chooses not to do it. Not much choice but to stand by the team we have and hope for the best. We're all pis*ed, but you might as well relax. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

I'd love to be surprised with a major signing. Golisano has a billion in the bank. He can afford just about anyone, but chooses not to do it. Not much choice but to stand by the team we have and hope for the best. We're all pis*ed, but you might as well relax. Move along, there's nothing to see here.

It has been stated here over and over again. They have spent pretty close to the cap each season. This team does not have an issue with how much is being spent. The problem is how it is spent. But then again, the fans just want to rant and rave about anything imaginable. Facts be damned.

It has been stated here over and over again. They have spent pretty close to the cap each season. This team does not have an issue with how much is being spent. The problem is how it is spent. But then again, the fans just want to rant and rave about anything imaginable. Facts be damned.

+1 - I can't believe how many times I see the ownership doesn't care rant. Facts be damned, indeed.

Rivet(if OSP will okay a buyout of his last contract year)

Everyone has their opinions, so I'll state mine: I don't think Rivet ever wanted to come here. I could be wrong, and I'll own up to it if I am. Also, there's no way OSP will ok a buyout of Rivet's last contract year. IIRC, that's a hit on the league salary cap.

BTW, is it me, or is the rental player system a joke?

Based on Quinn and regiers track records and past offseason moves or lack thereof I'll agree with Deluca67 100%.

I think a lot of other posters are going to agree with this as well. As much as he and I may disagree with some things, I wouldn't mind seeing him as the next Sabres' GM.

Everyone has their opinions, so I'll state mine: I don't think Rivet ever wanted to come here. I could be wrong, and I'll own up to it if I am. Also, there's no way OSP will ok a buyout of Rivet's last contract year. IIRC, that's a hit on the league salary cap.

What does OSP stand for?

That's interesting. I have no argument--just wondering why you think that. I mean, there definitely have been guys who did not want to be here (Biatchyslav immediately comes to mind), so it's definitely possible. Why do you think so?

I think it's only a joke because our GM doesn't know how to play it, but I get what you mean.

Archived