GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Call me crazy but i dont see this as a competitiveness issue. We always exaggerate when we lose and get over exactic over a playoff victory.

This is a tight series involving two teams that play strong D with great goaltending. Buffalo's advantage is offense, and their production has been awful, not only in goals but good scoring chances.

To those that say we need more size i say you arent paying close enough attention. We have small forwards but ummm so does boston, we have some big ones, and so do they.

I agree with everything in your post except I do largely think it comes down to competitive intensity. The Sabres I believe have picked up their intensity from the regular season somewhat, but it hasn't been enough to match Boston in this series. To me it just looks like Boston wants it more than our guys do. Whatever level of intensity Boston brings tonight, the Sabres have to find a way to bring more. For large stretches of this series so far the Sabres have failed to do that in my view.

I agree with everything in your post except I do largely think it comes down to competitive intensity. The Sabres I believe have picked up their intensity from the regular season somewhat, but it hasn't been enough to match Boston in this series. To me it just looks like Boston wants it more than our guys do. Whatever level of intensity Boston brings tonight, the Sabres have to find a way to bring more. For large stretches of this series so far the Sabres have failed to do that in my view.

I think the intensity has been fine ... I think they are willing but not able. Look at the Kennedy-Recchi collison that led to the winning goal. Both guys are 5-10 (maybe) ... Recchi has 20 years and 20 pounds man muscle (easy, spndnchz) on Kennedy and it was no contest. Kennedy did not shy away from the hit, and I think the Sabres have pushed back and initiated contact more than I expected in this series. They are just not eqipped to play that game. I am not saying "Be patient and wait 5 years for Kennedy to fill out." I am just saying Boston is built for the playoffs morethan the Sabres. We all knew it coming into the playoffs, we just hoped they could not score enough.

Still, it's a very even series. Just as they would not be Cup contenders if they had won Game 3, they are in no way out of it. They could esily get knocked around some more tonight and win 2-1. I totally agree I would like some changes to The Core if they lose this series, but even if they win the next three and then get smacked down by Pittsburgh, I would STILL like some changes. So I am not putting all those eggs in tonight's basket. That is an offseason discussion.

I want to enjoy the ride and hope they can grind out a few more wins and get guys for whom there is hope, such as Myers, some more playoff experience.

I think the intensity has been fine ... I think they are willing but not able. Look at the Kennedy-Recchi collison that led to the winning goal. Both guys are 5-10 (maybe) ... Recchi has 20 years and 20 pounds man muscle (easy, spndnchz) on Kennedy and it was no contest. Kennedy did not shy away from the hit, and I think the Sabres have pushed back and initiated contact more than I expected in this series. They are just not eqipped to play that game. I am not saying "Be patient and wait 5 years for Kennedy to fill out."

...or it could be nothing more than Recchi caught him off balance. Myers is a big boy and I've seen him get tossed around many times this season by much smaller players. Sometimes you win the battle and sometimes you don't.

I think the intensity has been fine ... I think they are willing but not able. Look at the Kennedy-Recchi collison that led to the winning goal. Both guys are 5-10 (maybe) ... Recchi has 20 years and 20 pounds man muscle (easy, spndnchz) on Kennedy and it was no contest. Kennedy did not shy away from the hit, and I think the Sabres have pushed back and initiated contact more than I expected in this series. They are just not eqipped to play that game. I am not saying "Be patient and wait 5 years for Kennedy to fill out." I am just saying Boston is built for the playoffs morethan the Sabres. We all knew it coming into the playoffs, we just hoped they could not score enough.

Still, it's a very even series. Just as they would not be Cup contenders if they had won Game 3, they are in no way out of it. They could esily get knocked around some more tonight and win 2-1. I totally agree I would like some changes to The Core if they lose this series, but even if they win the next three and then get smacked down by Pittsburgh, I would STILL like some changes. So I am not putting all those eggs in tonight's basket. That is an offseason discussion.

I want to enjoy the ride and hope they can grind out a few more wins and get guys for whom there is hope, such as Myers, some more playoff experience.

Watching the replay now, Recchi looks like he was lining up Kennedy from about the top of the circle. Kennedy got caught. He was watching the puck and didn't really thing Recchi was going to hit him before getting the puck. I think half the team is willing and the other half is able. Too bad those halves aren't in anyone other than Miller.

There have been people, including myself, that have pointed out a regular season game as A MUST WIN, even though the game didn't have a high level importance at the time. I'll admit I was wrong a few times during the regular season, but tonight's game is A MUST WIN.

And, yes, to concur with the poster, this is absolutely a MUST WIN!!

This is absolutely a must win game.If the sabres lose this one it is over.

No. If the Sabres lose tonight's game, they will not be eliminated.

...or it could be nothing more than Recchi caught him off balance. Myers is a big boy and I've seen him get tossed around many times this season by much smaller players. Sometimes you win the battle and sometimes you don't.
Watching the replay now, Recchi looks like he was lining up Kennedy from about the top of the circle. Kennedy got caught. He was watching the puck and didn't really thing Recchi was going to hit him before getting the puck. I think half the team is willing and the other half is able. Too bad those halves aren't in anyone other than Miller.

i'm neither a physics expert nor am i hockey player, but that looked like a play where recchi was going to prevail -- he had the correct angle, approach, leverage, direction, speed, etc. of course, being in the league for 20 years will teach a guy how to put himself in that position/situation.

I think half the team is willing and the other half is able. Too bad those halves aren't in anyone other than Miller.

That pretty much sums up this team perfectly and if they get knocked out in this series, it will be quoted in my signature.

i'm neither a physics expert nor am i hockey player, but that looked like a play where recchi was going to prevail -- he had the correct angle, approach, leverage, direction, speed, etc. of course, being in the league for 20 years will teach a guy how to put himself in that position/situation.

Yup. If had to guess, the 20 lbs of mass helped, but the 20 years of experience helped more.

I was going to go the physics route too on that play but here's a math problem for everyone.

X = Boston Player

Y = Buffalo Player

Comes down to X making a decision before Y was thinking about the play.

I watched the replay too and is doesn't take a hockey brainiac to see that Myers was out in la-la land for that goal. He's just standing there watching the puck go in.

Kennedy took the man to the boards, albeit, he lost.

Tallinder has to take away Recchi coming out from the boards to the front of the net, he does.

Goose is at the point covering the pass back to the point.

Myers, once realizing Kennedy is beat and isn't passing the puck behind the net, needs to come out and play the man coming in from the slot, he doesn't. He's a great player, but still a rookie.

Versus is blacked out in Buffalo, again. I started DVR'n the last game on VS, only to tune in at 7:30 to start "my" game and find cage-fighting. Missed the first half of the 1st period.

Right- the Buffalo area gets to watch the game in non-HD on MSG. The rest of the nation gets to watch it in HD on VS (if they get HD and if they actually watch hockey.)

It's time for one of these:

Com' on boys. This is the game. Pull out all the stops.

Back in action and wanting blood, blood I tell U. We don't stop hunting until all the Bears are dead.

Dead I tell U. Now go out there and show this town, this city, this America, this Newfoundland what we can do.

Lets Go Buffalo!!!!!

Back in action and wanting blood, blood I tell U. We don't stop hunting until all the Bears are dead.

Dead I tell U. Now go out there and show this town, this city, this America, this Newfoundland what we can do.

Lets Go Buffalo!!!!!

The question is - who needs to give it so that it has an impact? I'm going to think out of the box and say that if Tyler Myers was the one to spit one of these out, it might just rouse the 'older' guys into action.

Lets Go Buffalo!!!!!

:thumbsup:

I will note again for the record that Kelley is a blowhard and simply is not credible.

You are sadly mistaken if you think Kelley is off on this.

Ruff is burnt out in general. He's had his kid brother killed, his little girl just escaping a death sentence, and has had to put up with management interference preventing him from doing his best possible job.

Did you watch Lindy during the olympics? He was having fun.

Did you notice the story came out a few weeks later?

If you want to say thank you to Lindy...you might want to do so soon, or else you will have to mail a letter:

Lindy Ruff

c/o Florida Panthers

Sunrise, FL 696969

How much ice time will McCormick see? The same worthless 1:20 Peters used to get? These guys better play out of their freaking minds tonight and hit, hit, hit!!! They have been beaten into submission the last two games. Buffalo loses tonight, kiss the season goodbye and most likely Lindy as well. Should be a major overhaul if they go down the the most anemic goal scoring team in the league this year.

Ruff is burnt out in general. He's had his kid brother killed, his little girl just escaping a death sentence, and has had to put up with management interference preventing him from doing his best possible job.

If you want to say thank you to Lindy...you might want to do so soon, or else you will have to mail a letter:

Lindy Ruff

c/o Florida Panthers

Sunrise, FL 696969

His kid brother was killed in 1986. I am not saying it doesn't hurt forever but ... not sure that is a factor here.

How much ice time will McCormick see? The same worthless 1:20 Peters used to get? These guys better play out of their freaking minds tonight and hit, hit, hit!!! They have been beaten into submission the last two games. Buffalo loses tonight, kiss the season goodbye and most likely Lindy as well. Should be a major overhaul if they go down the the most anemic goal scoring team in the league this year.

Lindy says in the WGR story that "If we can get 16-17 minutes out of him I think he can bring us a lot tonight. " So that is not Peters-esque. http://www.wgr550.com/Vanek-game-time-decision/6859212

Lindy Ruff

c/o Florida Panthers

Sunrise, FL 696969

Are you more or less committed to this theory than to the Ryan-Miller-eyes-askew theory?

Now, do I think it's possible that Lindy gets canned this year if the Sabres lose to Boston, and then gets hired elsewhere for next year? Absolutely yes. But he's not engineering his departure -- and certainly not to work for the Panthers. NFW.

Archived