The negative ninnies have done their jobs

eball

I went from the excitement of an unexpected division title, world class play by Ryan Miller, the rookie of the year in Myers, and the anticipation of a return to the playoffs -- to blah.

Some of you guys are really pretty miserable cusses. Thanks for bringing me down in the name of your "reality check."

Go Sabres -- I guess. <_<

Come on, man: Illegitimi non carborundum.

Here's my take: I'm a grows'd up man on this board - I get all analytical and stuff - sometimes I play GM - sometimes I put players on a proverbial couch and psychoanalyze them - sometimes I dust off my crystal ball and predict the future.

But I'm never on this board when I'm watching a game. Know why? Because when I'm watching a game - especially a playoff game - I'm 12 (maybe 13) years old again - and I am a pure believer, a fan.

Go Sabres.

Come on, man: Illegitimi non carborundum.

Here's my take: I'm a grows'd up man on this board - I get all analytical and stuff - sometimes I play GM - sometimes I put players on a proverbial couch and psychoanalyze them - sometimes I dust off my crystal ball and predict the future.

But I'm never on this board when I'm watching a game. Know why? Because when I'm watching a game - especially a playoff game - I'm 12 (maybe 13) years old again - and I am a pure believer, a fan.

Go Sabres.

Wow. Outstanding.

Let's go, Buffalo!

Honestly, I thought the Sabres would be the '08-'09 team again. I'm thrilled the team is as good as they are. I'm happy Timmy played most of the season. I'm happy Miller has had a career year. I'm happy Hecht has been a beast along the boards. I'm happy Gaustad has become a true 3rd line center and faceoff man. I'm happy that Myers put together a season that has me wondering if he could become the greatest dman in franchise history.

You don't get to 100 points and 44 wins without a pretty solid effort most of the season. Especially considering the 30-0-0 record when leading going into the third period. If you'd have told me this would be the situation before the season started, I would have called you insane.

I'm not really sure where I fall on this. I think I'm more on the reality side of things than the negative side, although the reality can be pretty negative sometimes. All that said, Aud's right. It's the playoffs. It is all suspended until they are over because anything can happen.

While we know this team very well in the regular season, we have no idea how they will perform in the weeks to come. It's a very different team than the one we sent three years ago and we just don't know if someone is going to rise up an be that playoff performer (that sound like an ESPN segment - Right Guard's Playoff Performer) that we need to make everyone around them better.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

ROCK'EM SABRES!

I went from the excitement of an unexpected division title, world class play by Ryan Miller, the rookie of the year in Myers, and the anticipation of a return to the playoffs -- to blah.

Some of you guys are really pretty miserable cusses. Thanks for bringing me down in the name of your "reality check."

Don't blame others for your lack of conviction. If your "excitement" is so easily dowsed I would have to doubt the initial sincerity of your "excitement." :thumbdown:

Don't blame others for your lack of conviction. If your "excitement" is so easily dowsed I would have to doubt the initial sincerity of your "excitement." :thumbdown:

DeLuca goes forehand, backhand, Top Shelf Where Inkman Hides the Crotchless Panties.

Wow. Outstanding.

:blush:

Rbochan provided such a pithy inventory, I gotta give love seriatim (that's just how I roll):

I'm thrilled the team is as good as they are.
:thumbsup:
I'm happy Timmy played most of the season.
I'm happy Miller has had a career year.
I'm happy Hecht has been a beast along the boards.
I'm happy Gaustad has become a true 3rd line center and faceoff man.
I'm happy that Myers put together a season that has me wondering if he could become the greatest dman in franchise history.

DeLuca goes forehand, backhand, Top Shelf Where Inkman Hides the Crotchless Panties.

oh my. even by your own standards, that's fine work.

ABSOLUTELY GO SABRES! I won't call them 'ninnies' ... 'downers' yes, almost as if when the final horn sounds on Buffalo's 09/10 season, there'll be a lot of 'SEE ... there was no reason to think we'd get anything better.' Do I think they'll win it all? I won't put the house on it, but to me - especially after reading/following all of these posts throughout the year - get past the first round and the fan base should be pleasantly surprised.

When do we get to see the rest of the avatar? Game day?

(It seems like there is less visible today than yesterday but the difference is due to my home/work monitors)

Honestly, I thought the Sabres would be the '08-'09 team again. I'm thrilled the team is as good as they are. I'm happy Timmy played most of the season. I'm happy Miller has had a career year. I'm happy Hecht has been a beast along the boards. I'm happy Gaustad has become a true 3rd line center and faceoff man. I'm happy that Myers put together a season that has me wondering if he could become the greatest dman in franchise history.

You don't get to 100 points and 44 wins without a pretty solid effort most of the season. Especially considering the 30-0-0 record when leading going into the third period. If you'd have told me this would be the situation before the season started, I would have called you insane.

Outside of faceoffs i just didn't see Gaustad having anything other than a typical Gaustad season, if fact, 5-on-5 he's been a defensive liability, particularly in the second half where teams have exposed his lack of speed and poor back checking fundamentals.

If they give him any significant ice time as a 3rd line center in the playoffs it will be a serious mistake.

This team needs to be 3 lines deep and I do not see them doing that with Gaustad at center.They need to be very very careful about who that Gaustad/Grier line gets caught on the ice against.

I'm not really sure where I fall on this. I think I'm more on the reality side of things than the negative side, although the reality can be pretty negative sometimes.

"I'm just being realistic" is the motto of every pessimist I've ever met.

To me, this season was extremely enjoyable and there's a lot to be optimistic about. Looking back at the regular season, it was nice being able to tune in and see them win most nights.

This is far from a perfect playoff team but there is plenty of good to look towards:

- Ryan Miller regularly turns into a brick wall in the playoffs. His playoff performances have always been awesome in the past (except Game 1 versus Ottawa in 2006), even when his regular season performance was just average. Is there any reason to expect less now?

- Tim Connolly turns into an absolute beast in the playoffs. He was one of the best players in the world in April and May of 2006. In the Spring 2007, he still made a bunch of nice contributions despite having only been skating for a few weeks prior and being massively out of shape. Back then, he was a role player and luxury. The stakes are lot higher now that he's the main cog in the offense. We'll see how he does.

- The Tylers. Tyler Myers has been amazing all season. Tyler Ennis put together a nice playoff audition these last few weeks. If juniors are any indication, they both rise to occasion when the playoffs roll around. The expectations are high for Myers and I think we all expect him to rise to the occasion. I expect Ennis to play and be a solid contributor as well, though in a smaller capacity (no pun intended).

- Tim Kennedy and Patrick Kaleta. Kennedy broke out of a mid-season slump and suddenly became an awesome contributor. His style seems like it will translate very well to the playoffs. Kaleta put in an excellent season and although I think a lot of people overvalue his contributions, there is no doubt he is an excellent role player. Both of these hometown boys should be pumped to be playing front of the Buffalo crowds in the playoffs, as well.

- Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek are clicking. Derek Roy has been up and down in the playoffs. We all remember Game 1 against Ottawa in 2006 when he and TC practically won the game by themselves. I don't remember him having much of an impact in 2007, though. Vanek hasn't really been an impact player in the playoffs yet but we'll see. Either way, they both peaked at the right time this year and hopefully that will continue.

Here is a reality check. We're one of 16 teams that are in, at this point ANYTHING can happen. See Edmonton in 2006. Carolina to ECF last year. Is this a perfect team? Absolutely not. Do I wish they had more team toughness and grit? Of course. Has Lindy's system run it's course with this group of players? Possibly. But I refuse to let whatever shortcomings this team has to cloud every post I write here. Some might call that crusading and it serves no purpose whatsoever.

This is the team and the Sabres are what they are, maybe this is our year to catch lightning in a bottle and maybe it isn't. Either way I'm going to enjoy the games. LET'S GO BUFFALO!

Outside of faceoffs i just didn't see Gaustad having anything other than a typical Gaustad season, if fact, 5-on-5 he's been a defensive liability, particularly in the second half where teams have exposed his lack of speed and poor back checking fundamentals.

If they give him any significant ice time as a 3rd line center in the playoffs it will be a serious mistake.

This team needs to be 3 lines deep and I do not see them doing that with Gaustad at center.They need to be very very careful about who that Gaustad/Grier line gets caught on the ice against.

Gee. A new poster with a caustic tone and a Gaustad axe to grind. I wonder what will happen?

Eball dont let the bastards get ya down. Playoff Hockey is here

When do we get to see the rest of the avatar? Game day?

(It seems like there is less visible today than yesterday but the difference is due to my home/work monitors)

Wow, you're good. I thought too much was revealed the first time, so I replaced it. Not sure if it's my monitor, but when I stood over the top of the monitor and looked down at the screen, I could faintly see the whole image.

More will be revealed after each series win.

Here is a reality check. We're one of 16 teams that are in, at this point ANYTHING can happen. See Edmonton in 2006. Carolina to ECF last year. Is this a perfect team? Absolutely not. Do I wish they had more team toughness and grit? Of course. Has Lindy's system run it's course with this group of players? Possibly. But I refuse to let whatever shortcomings this team has to cloud every post I write here. Some might call that crusading and it serves no purpose whatsoever.

This is the team and the Sabres are what they are, maybe this is our year to catch lightning in a bottle and maybe it isn't. Either way I'm going to enjoy the games. LET'S GO BUFFALO!

Couldn't have said it any better. You never know what will happen in the playoffs...it's a completely different game.

To be honest, where has the negativity been? I admit I haven't perused the board too much this week, but I've seen more excitement and optimism than otherwise.

I'm not saying the Sabres will storm through the EC and take the cup from anyone in particular, but I think the reason they *can* win is the guy in net. Having an elite goaltender always increases your chances of a long playoff run and as long as Miller holds up, I think this team will go far. Conference finals? Maybe, but if not, I'm enjoying the ride...no matter how long or short it is.

Archived